Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Ye olde C-64 games.  (Read 16151 times)

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #75 on: April 12, 2020, 10:16:48 AM
A larger hardware store *might* have the RCA to Coax adapter.  Not the best option picture-quality wise but a quick-n-dirty option never the less. As you are an engineer, just think of it as prototyping...  ;)

https://www.amazon.com/VCE-2-Pack-Coaxial-Adapter-Connector/dp/B01N80QQ1F/ref=sr_1_4?crid=58M9ZAJTWD9X&dchild=1&keywords=rca+to+coaxial+adapter&qid=1586700958&sprefix=RCA+to+coax%2Caps%2C158&sr=8-4

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #76 on: April 12, 2020, 10:42:52 AM
If I had spare capital I'd be tempted to buy a retro computer. Which one to get would be the next real challenge. An Apple IIgs is up there but that IIc for the nostalgia is high for me.

A friend of mine in Houston collects consoles and stand-ups. He has just about every video game system ever made. I'd thought too about getting a Genesis or NES at some point (not the mini versions but the real ones).

I don't even mess with emulators...it's just not the same thing.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #77 on: April 12, 2020, 01:02:08 PM
The Commodore 64, Atari 800XL, and Apple IIc (because of it's built-in drive) are probably good choices for retro hardware from the 8-bit era.

If you want to have the full retro computing experience then you'll be messing around with tape and disk drives and probably will also need to be ready for doing some repairs because even untested computers are still selling on eBay for up to a couple hundred dollars, even without all the peripherals. Tested ones even more. You can also try Craigslist or some of the retro computing websites such as www.Amibay.com or https://www.lemon64.com. Then you'll also need game disks and tapes. However if you are lucky enough to score a working  retro computer there are new solid state devices that emulate disk drives and can be attached the same way the old drives were. Those devices use a USB or flash drive to hold the games, who's images you can download from many places and transfer onto the flash drive using a modern computer.

If you don't want to mess around with old hardware the new 'C64', while using a custom emulator under the hood, has much the same feel as the original Commodore computer with a nice clicky keyboard and a decent selection of games installed. You can add other game images using USB and the C64 even has the original Commodore Basic as a boot option so you can type in your own programs and save them to the USB 'disk'. It can't use any of the original Commodore 64's peripherals however and can only output HDMI so you would need a downscaling converter to play it on a CRT TV to get the full retro effect.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #78 on: April 12, 2020, 03:53:06 PM
I get the starry eyed rose tinted spectacles approach to emulation and knocking old kit together but I can’t imagine sitting in front of jet set willy or pyjamarama for more than 10 minutes and saying - what was I thinking - there was nothing better at the time and that’s why it was great - now there is

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #79 on: April 12, 2020, 03:57:59 PM
I suspect you're right, and there is a big chunk on nostalgia (or maybe, neuralgia) involved. Having said that, despite the somewhat crap, by today's standards, graphics, the actual gameplay on many of those game was pretty good.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 04:01:58 PM by bob48 »

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #80 on: April 12, 2020, 04:00:49 PM
I get the starry eyed rose tinted spectacles approach to emulation and knocking old kit together but I can’t imagine sitting in front of jet set willy or pyjamarama for more than 10 minutes and saying - what was I thinking - there was nothing better at the time and that’s why it was great - now there is

Yeah, most of the fun is in the finding and fixing. A little gameplay is just icing on the cake.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #81 on: April 12, 2020, 04:07:44 PM
Those days make me smile when you could actually be in control of your gaming library because there was literally a handful been released every month - you’d read the monthly magazine 10 times deciding which one to get and then order it from some warehouse

I remember begging dad for his credit card for the hobbit, castle Dracula, hunchback of notre dam and then before I knew it the world went crazy and then steam happened

It is the old fashioned OCD in me that buys one spectacular game every few months and not a heap of games I’ll never play every few weeks