Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Pax Nova just launched out of early access  (Read 3071 times)

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
on: April 28, 2020, 12:02:52 PM
Pax Nova has been on my wishlist for a while, it looks like a nice little Civ-like set on an alien world.  Has anyone here been participating in early access?  How is it?  At £20 it's not quite within my impulse buy range, but I'm definitely interested.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 01:23:30 PM
Looks like it could be fun.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 09:35:44 PM
The premise is interesting, but I think it will be a *very* long time before I pick it up, if ever. 

The developer doesn't have a great track record, so I'm more than a bit skeptical.  They previously made the underwhelming Dawn of Andromeda, and before that, the poorly-rated Lords of the Black Sun (under a different name, but it was the same guy).  In both cases, they didn't do a great job with post-release support, nor were they great at communicating with the player-base regarding feedback and/or post-release roadmap.  I've also consistently read that the AI in Pax Nova is anemic, and in particular doesn't know how to handle the space portion of the game. 

To be fair, I've heard the dev has done a much better job this time around with communication, support, and player feedback, so perhaps Pax Nova will be a new beginning for him.  But I personally wouldn't purchase the game until after it's been thoroughly patched and polished. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 08:02:18 AM
The siren song here is having cities on planets with Civ-like management PLUS space exploration.Too hard for me to resist.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy