Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Old World (Soren Johnson)  (Read 29948 times)

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #180 on: June 07, 2022, 07:19:14 AM
I’m still enjoying it a lot. I am about a third of the way into my game as Assyria (against Babylon) and the Babylonians attempted to assassinate my Queen. I could have declared war on them but didn’t, but a few turns later they declared war on me. So now, it’s on…bring it, Babs.

Always do what you feel is best.

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #181 on: June 07, 2022, 11:39:17 AM
I tried a random game and had many false starts just learning how to set one up...the menus are less than intuitive. Last night I finally got a good game going as Assyria vs. Babylon.

Started a random game as the Hittites and was plugging along learning as I went and managing to somewhat understand what I was doing. But then my leader died and it hit the fan and now I'm not sure how but my original leader's 4th granddaughter is now Queen in waiting after "letting" her father be the regent till she comes of age. Oh and I turned down a marriage proposal from the Gauls and now they are loitering at my border with some unfriendly looking fellows.

There is alot going on in this game but I'm enjoying bumbling my way through.

Gauls loitering with intent....what could go wrong?

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #182 on: June 07, 2022, 01:25:14 PM
Everything?

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #183 on: June 08, 2022, 03:02:26 AM
Are there any particular settings, map type, etc. you guys recommend?  Or avoid?  (Other than playing on an easier difficulty -- I'm already planning on that. :P

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #184 on: June 08, 2022, 07:02:52 AM
I only play on the real world huge map. It’s quite good. With everyone.  :idiot2:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #185 on: June 08, 2022, 07:32:13 AM
I’m playing on the middle size map of the Middle East right now as Assyria versus Babylon. Last night Babylon declared war on me along with the semi-civilized Thracians, Scythians and Numidians. I was able to make peace with Numidia through marriage and am still learning how to make peace otherwise with my ambassador…the war is not going well :/

Still love the game though and I am 100% convinced this will be a major time sink, like 100s or even 1000s of hours.

Not sure which difficulty setting I chose for this first game…I think it was the third level (The Good?) and that may have to be turned down for the next game.

Also looking forward to a game with more than one major civilization.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #186 on: June 13, 2022, 08:33:12 PM
Restarted a new game as the Assyrians and am enjoy the events that are popping up. Still trying to figure out the whole 3 family thing in terms of keep people happy and doling out cities for them to run. Still alot of fun and enjoying the fact that I am getting a full game out of the ancient era!

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #187 on: June 13, 2022, 09:29:13 PM
^That's one of my top three reasons for loving this game...the entire game in one era. It was so long in arriving :/

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #188 on: June 14, 2022, 05:00:35 AM
Too true, Gus.  I would like to see more 4x games set within specific historical periods like Old World, Imperiums, Oriental Empires, etc.  The concept gets ignored far too much. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #189 on: June 14, 2022, 12:20:17 PM
^Yes, YES! Take my money and all that. I can't wait to see what Mohawk will be doing with the Old World engine next. I game just like this set in the Renaissance would be godly.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #190 on: June 14, 2022, 12:23:06 PM
I'd love for someone to put together a series of Civ style games that are stand alone, or can be linked, so you move your game from one era to another.  That way you can continue to grow you empire, but each era game would be designed to before that era, and not just cramming everything into one box fits all. 

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #191 on: June 14, 2022, 12:35:26 PM
^That would be really, really cool.  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #192 on: June 14, 2022, 12:54:37 PM
I just signed up for their newsletter and got a free key to Off-World Trading Company.  May have to look at some of us doing some MP. 

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #193 on: June 14, 2022, 04:30:55 PM
^Yeah I did the same through Mohawk Games.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #194 on: June 14, 2022, 08:03:48 PM
^That's one of my top three reasons for loving this game...the entire game in one era. It was so long in arriving :/

I can't tell you how many Civ games I've started and abandoned after being annoyed with having to advance to the next era.

Too true, Gus.  I would like to see more 4x games set within specific historical periods like Old World, Imperiums, Oriental Empires, etc.  The concept gets ignored far too much. 

The possibilities ....

I'd love for someone to put together a series of Civ style games that are stand alone, or can be linked, so you move your game from one era to another.  That way you can continue to grow you empire, but each era game would be designed to before that era, and not just cramming everything into one box fits all. 

Man that would be awesome!