Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Think I have played my last Assassins Creed  (Read 4753 times)

Boyerwulf

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
on: March 02, 2020, 08:31:26 AM
 Started playing Assassins Creed Odyssey (I know a little late to the party) on Friday and am already burned out. The last AC game I played was Syndicate, and I enjoyed it. Loved the atmosphere, had interesting historical characters, and some of the investigation missions were well done, but never finished because of the repetition.  So I had heard good things about AC Odyssey and decided to give it a go.

The Good: Great graphics. Good attention to detail when it comes to the buildings, and statues. Main story line quest is slightly interesting. Some nice moments looking over the vast areas at night from a high vantage point.

The Bad : Everything else. Just repetitive go kill, or collect quests. No real immersion. Combat is pretty much button mashing/block/button mashing/ block.....  It really is just more of the same AC, with different wallpaper. The problem is that I was already burned out from playing AC Syndicate, and was hoping that this would be more refined, and less repetitive. However this is more repetitive, less immersive, less historical characters, etc. It does have a vast map, but lets face it, you will just go to different areas doing the same thing you did at the last area, over and over again. 

Word is that the next AC is going to be Viking themed which is right up my alley , but at this point I just cant see myself buying it unless Ubisoft makes some big changes. As of now I think it is just going to be more of the same.

What are your thoughts?? Has anyone actually finished AC Odyssey??

Adam

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 12:00:22 PM
I haven't played Odyssey yet.  Origins was my first AC and as such, I had a blast.  As a long-time XB-Live subscriber I have accumulated most of the older ACs for free so I decided to go back and give Black Flag a try.  I gave up about 1/2 of the way for the same reasons that you state - repetitive button mashing. 

judgedredd

Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 12:52:55 PM
IMO, Ubisoft have a long way to go for their big world to be worthy of any constant gaming.

Each of there iterations seem to be just big worlds with lost of the same. Beautiful worlds mind - but it matters not a jot unless there's a lot of varied stuff to do...and there's not.

If you think that was boring, go try Wildlands or Far Cry 5

Boyerwulf

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 05:35:51 PM
IMO, Ubisoft have a long way to go for their big world to be worthy of any constant gaming.

Each of there iterations seem to be just big worlds with lost of the same. Beautiful worlds mind - but it matters not a jot unless there's a lot of varied stuff to do...and there's not.

If you think that was boring, go try Wildlands or Far Cry 5

Your killing me. Far Cry 5 was going to possibly be next  :(

judgedredd

Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 01:11:24 AM
It's just boring, repetitive gaming. The story is cool - but that's the thing with Ubisoft and their open world games. The story is often good, but the gaming seems to be aimed at people with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder - in other words throw shit in there to keep them busy.

Unfortunately, the gaming gets old very quickly and the story isn't enough to hold you.

Their games are the equivalent of click-bait on the internet.

As always - that's just my opinion...but it does have background and is based on actual gaming - not just hearsay. I've played lots of their games and I've watched them move away from their base and into these big open world games and as they've done so, they've got very, very boring.

I would say a possible exception to this is The Division games. They are very similar, however, they do have a unique mechanic where you can get to a fight and have someone join you by requesting assistance - or you can answer someone else's call for help. But that's the saving grace. The gameplay, on it's own, is pretty samey and gets boring.

One thing that really, really annoys me about their games is no visible progression. By that I mean you can clear an area of all pickups and enemies. Next time you log on and you go back to that area, you'll see enemies roaming about and alot of the "pick ups" you'd cleared the area of. For me that's a problem because I hate moving on when an area hasn't been "cleansed"...so I end up getting stuck and fighting to drag myself away and move into another area.

*edited for spelling
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 09:48:07 AM by judgedredd »

Boyerwulf

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 09:17:30 AM
It's just boring, repetitive gaming. The story is cool - but that's the thing with Ubisoft and their open world games. The story is often good, but the gaming seems to be aimed at people with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder - in other words through shit in their to keep them busy.

Unfortunately, the gaming gets old very quickly and the story isn't enough to hold you.

Their games are the equivalent of click-bait on the internet.

As always - that's just my opinion...but it does have background and is based on actual gaming - not just hearsay. I've played lots of their games and I've watched them move away from their base and into these big open world games and as they've done so, they've got very, very boring.

I would say a possible exception to this is The Division games. They are very similar, however, they do have a unique mechanic where you can get to a fight and have someone join you by requesting assistance - or you can answer someone else's call for help. But that's the saving grace. The gameplay, on it's own, is pretty samey and gets boring.

One thing that really, really annoys me about their games is no visible progression. By that I mean you can clear an area of all pickups and enemies. Next time you log on and you go back to that area, you'll see enemies roaming about and alot of the "pick ups" you'd cleared the area of. For me that's a problem because I hate moving on when an area hasn't been "cleansed"...so I end up getting stuck and fighting to drag myself away and move into another area.

Could not agree with you more. Cant think of the last Ubisoft game I actually finished. My two favorite games of all time are the WItcher III ,and Red Dead Redemption II. Both are vast, and very detailed. What they don't have is say another Athenian war camp, which is just like the other Athenian war camp that I just destroyed, over, and over again, just with higher level Athenians.  Ubisoft games start out good because everything is quite fresh (which leads to good reviews),  but a couple hours in you realize that you will be doing the same things repetitively for the next 60 hours.  Just play the Heart of Stone expansion for the Witcher III once, and you will see everything that is wrong with Ubisoft games in a nutshell.