Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Planes!  (Read 304312 times)

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #1110 on: May 27, 2021, 05:23:44 PM
Good grief. Who comes up with this stuff?

This burns me up as well..................... A strong military does not mean flushing money down the toilet with no oversight.

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/19/997961646/the-pentagon-has-never-passed-an-audit-some-senators-want-to-change-that

This is an old issue.  They audited DoD 2 or 3 years ago, or they attempted to audit it.

As someone pretty familiar with DoD accounting systems and how money flows, and the games that are played, and this absolutely does not surprise me.  But I also doubt that any large federal agency could successfully pass an audit.

Trying to make them pass an audit will have dubious benefit.  It's going to require more and more minute record keeping, last-minute data-compilation tasks, and new, even more onerous restrictions.  They may eventually declare victory and balance their checkbook, but it won't result in any real improvement.  There is tremendous pressure to spend all the money on a very rigid schedule.  That comes from Congress, and if I fell behind I'd get in trouble.  I was told numerous times that it didn't matter what I spent the money on, as long as I spent it.

I'll also say that Congress has some guilt in this area.  I had to deal with Congressional adds, where Congress throws money out to their districts like a drunk sailor *after* the budget has been balanced.  That's bad enough, but we were not allowed to monitor this spending to ensure that we were getting something in return.  We could not ask for a plan on what they were going to do with the money, interim reviews, or even a final report.  We were only supposed to be a conduit, and if we slowed it down in the slightest, we'd get a call from Congressional Affairs.

Leave it to the USAF to screw up something that should be as simple as looking out a window.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/40821/kc-46as-long-troubled-vision-system-cant-even-reliably-show-the-end-of-the-refueling-boom

I think this is also an old issue.  I don't follow the KC-46, but I thought they have been working on a fix.  And I don't think they look out a window anymore - I think it's all based on a camera.  I got to fly the boom on a KC-135, and there I was truly looking out a window.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #1111 on: May 27, 2021, 05:27:53 PM
Good insights from the inside. Nothing is ever simple.

Thanks, TR.

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Something so addictive about the whole kill and loot dynamic, though." - Gusington

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #1112 on: May 27, 2021, 05:36:31 PM

Leave it to the USAF to screw up something that should be as simple as looking out a window.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/40821/kc-46as-long-troubled-vision-system-cant-even-reliably-show-the-end-of-the-refueling-boom

I think this is also an old issue.  I don't follow the KC-46, but I thought they have been working on a fix.  And I don't think they look out a window anymore - I think it's all based on a camera.  I got to fly the boom on a KC-135, and there I was truly looking out a window.

It's an old issue with the KC-46 that has not yet been fixed. They don't look out a window on the 46, but the camera system doesn't work. It's going to be an even older issue since Boeing will start rolling out a fix in 2023.

Under a 2020 agreement with Boeing, the manufacturer is covering all the costs of developing and installing the RVS 2.0, but it won’t actually begin to be fitted to new-build aircraft until 2023, while retrofitting of previously delivered aircraft will begin a year after that.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1113 on: May 28, 2021, 11:37:07 AM

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #1114 on: May 28, 2021, 12:16:26 PM

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1115 on: May 28, 2021, 12:18:28 PM
You'll need more'n a tube of glue to get that flying again  ;D

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #1116 on: May 28, 2021, 12:20:26 PM
https://twitter.com/edburmila/status/1158564919605944325

Keeping a Libyan MiG-23 airworthy is an accomplishment. Daring to fly it takes some balls.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #1117 on: May 28, 2021, 12:23:48 PM
You'll need more'n a tube of glue to get that flying again  ;D

If I can manage the $9 mil to buy it, I can figure out the restoration funding.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1118 on: May 28, 2021, 12:24:39 PM
Crowdfunding?

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #1119 on: June 03, 2021, 06:22:05 PM

judgedredd

Reply #1120 on: June 04, 2021, 02:15:22 AM

The exuberance of youth.
I wonder if Mark Felton will ever make a video of my antics when my Royal Corps of Transport Sqn were on exercise in Salisbury Plain in South West England.

At the end of the exercise, all our 100+ vehicles were parked in a line. Late at night, probably around 10pm, I went along the line, taking jerry cans of diesel and put them in the back of my 8 ton TM. I then took the 8 tonner, drove out the area, headed along the A303, M3, M25, A1 and into Mansfield to see my darling - a distance of around 250 miles. The next morning, after "relations" had taken place, I called my unit and told them I was coming back.

I went back to the Sqn and was put under open arrest. When the unit got back to camp on the Sunday, I was up in front of the OC (officer commanding). I got 7 days RoPs (Restriction of Privileges) and fined £120 for the diesel I had used.

To this day, I do not understand why I wasn't jailed at MCTC (Military Correction Training Centre - which is 3 miles from my camp) and thrown out the army.

One lucky bastard.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #1121 on: June 04, 2021, 06:50:26 AM
JD- that's like something right out of the movie 'Stripes'! 

Maybe they didn't throw you in the pokie because one or more of your superiors had done the same thing when they were your age and rank.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1122 on: June 04, 2021, 07:22:16 AM
What a very naughty boy!

Good job you weren't in the Armoured Corps.

judgedredd

Reply #1123 on: June 04, 2021, 11:23:36 AM
JD- that's like something right out of the movie 'Stripes'! 

Maybe they didn't throw you in the pokie because one or more of your superiors had done the same thing when they were your age and rank.
I may well have sub-consciously copied it - because I had seen Stripes (a fav movie of mine).

What a very naughty boy!

Good job you weren't in the Armoured Corps.
I know..I was pretty naughty as a soldier.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1124 on: June 04, 2021, 11:56:00 AM
It was my mental vision of you trundling down the A1 in a Scorpion with a big cheesy grin on yer fizzog!