Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Any starfield love?  (Read 6780 times)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
on: August 07, 2023, 10:01:07 PM
It looks like it’s getting to the business end of release now - press codes are out and the YT community is getting all jittery

Don’t think we’ve got anything on the game - just wondering if anyone’s waiting for release

I love rpg elements in a game that isn’t rpg - for that to make sense I’m a big fan of appointing medals and skills advancements in uboat, getting to know the guys in jagged alliance 3 and slashing my way through Europe in CK3 but I don’t consider these to be RPGs by any stretch of the imagination - but I don’t think I’ve ever played an ‘over the shoulder that’s you on the screen’ RPG

I’m interested solely because there has been mention of smuggling and piracy - elite dangerous was my big hope for this but it was never implemented especially compared to the original where even jumping into a sector with a hold full of narcotics or alcohol in banned systems would alert the police and there’d be much space racing shenanigans and trying to dock before you were shot - and feeling like a proper Han Solo having fugitive on your status - all of this has been hinted at for starfield so I wait in anticipation for a proper smuggling game

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 10:31:09 PM
I'm hoping Starfield will be what I thought No Man's Sky was going to be.

But I'm waiting until it's out for a bit to see what's up. It's starting to look too much like a FPS game and I just can't do those anymore.  :(

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 01:56:14 AM
I'm hoping Starfield will be what I thought No Man's Sky was going to be.
^ this

It's on my wishlist

neach-gleidhidh na h-Alba

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2023, 05:11:00 AM
after a mild panic i realised i might not be able to run starfield

have checked against the specs and im even ok with 'recommended' except my graphics card

by no means does that mean a purchase is due but at least i think ill be ok

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #4 on: August 26, 2023, 07:30:50 PM
I avoided watching the trailer to this game until today. And now, dammit, I want it.  :-\

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #5 on: August 26, 2023, 08:00:38 PM
I avoided watching the trailer to this game until today. And now, dammit, I want it.  :-\

so it can sit unplayed in your Steam library?!   :dreamer:

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #6 on: August 26, 2023, 08:06:26 PM
 :2funny:

???

No, lol.

I played through Fallout 4 twice and Skyrim at least a half dozen times. Outer Worlds, twice.

Only thing is, No Man's Sky didn't do much for me. I'm hoping this won't be like that.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #7 on: September 01, 2023, 01:58:25 PM
I've heard good things so far from the press, but you know, PRESS  :ROFL:

I did notice the Deluxe Edition disappeared from Steam, but saw on Reddit that it will be available on September 5. Seems to be some confusion - I could swear the Deluxe version would be available today. Can't see the value in an extra $30 to play a few days early plus some art and music and blah blah blah. Never been into that stuff. Oh, there's access to a 'future' expansion, but pfft. Will probably purchase that if I get this base game.

It's in my cart. My finger is twitchy.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #8 on: September 05, 2023, 04:01:47 PM
I caved. I pre-purchased it, but "only" the regular version and not the Deluxe version.

I think it downloads around 5 or 6pm my time.

More than anything I'm curious if my system will run it. It should, but I've seen all kinds of complaints online. But then again, what don't gamers complain about?

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #9 on: September 05, 2023, 10:31:04 PM
I'll be very interested to see what you think. At $90 CAD for the base game,  :o  :censored: , I'm still on the fence.

Do you have or have you tried No Man's Sky? If so can you compare/contrast the two?

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #10 on: September 05, 2023, 10:47:33 PM
I did buy No Man's Sky, but it was on super sale at some point when I bought it. It wasn't a bad game, but I found it boring. Lacking? I just didn't have a good time with it. Plus, flying the spacecraft in that was a chore that got incredibly not worth my time. Could be I just sucked at it. I just got so frustrated with it, I never gave it another chance after a few hours of play time.

I just now got off after playing Starfield for 106 minutes straight. It runs well, so that was my only concern.

I'd seen people posting hate on the game for various things, but I couldn't care less (I won't even bother to repeat them here) about any of that. I'm in a game for its engagement - visuals, story, engagement, dialogue, interactions, all of that. And in that time I played it, I saw it in droves. Now, it's kind of on rails, the first part - the game tells you what to do and where to go. I'm just more than happy to follow along as I got used to the controls. I really enjoyed looking in every nook and cranny for loot. The combat is engaging and interesting. Lots of different weapons. I'm trying to carry everything I loot off of bodies as they say they're worth tons of credits, but you can only carry so much. I hope there's a way to increase portage as the game progresses.

The environment is cool to look at; the spaceship interiors are interesting and I find myself looking every frikkin' where, wherever I go. I almost never do that in any games I play. I know I miss a lot of things but I tend to just charge through, until I get used to it. The first intro part of the game sends you somewhere, and...let's just say the storyline was conducive to me paying attention to my surroundings. It gave me a feeling of tension I'd not experienced in a game before. I can only compare it to something like Alien Isolation, though the game is not like that.

Character creation is interesting, though I had to go to Google to look some things up; you start with choosing three Traits, and each has pros and cons (which I don't really like, having negative effects right off the bat, at least not until I get to know a game and understand how it works better). I found an article that discussed them and alleviated some of my issues with making a choice with them. I won't ruin it by going into any more detail, there.

I was honestly on the fence, too; it cost $70 US (well, $69.99 US) and I almost never buy games at full price. I was worried something this large was going to have some bug issues big time, but I've not experienced anything yet in the short time I've played it. Plus, a lot of reviews say how well it works. You KNOW if there's issues with crashing, the Internet is going to let you know about it, lol.

Overall - I'm pleased with it thus far, but again, it's only been a short period of time.

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #11 on: September 06, 2023, 04:35:51 AM
It's good to hear it's steady - but honestly, it sounds.....a bit like Fallout but on a larger scale and with a new skin if I'm being brutally honest. I wouldn't necessarily say that was a bad thing though tbh. I liked Fallout 4.

I'm going to wait a few weeks though - see what the news is like.

Thanks for the insight BC

neach-gleidhidh na h-Alba

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #12 on: September 06, 2023, 06:39:33 AM
Thanks BC.
I never played Fallout 3 or 4. The last open world FPS I played was Morrowwind.
I've come to realize I'm not really an FPS player anymore. I don't have the eye-hand coordination any longer. I do have No Man's Sky and have enjoyed it as you can avoid alot of the FPS stuff. But I too found that it had something lacking but I keep trying after each new update they put out.

I gonna wait a bit too. Maybe as long as a year to se if it goes on sale.

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #13 on: September 06, 2023, 08:44:27 AM
I gonna wait a bit too. Maybe as long as a year to se if it goes on sale.

Same. And not to mention a year from now will bring tons of user mods which improve the game.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 04:12:58 PM by bayonetbrant »

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #14 on: September 07, 2023, 04:01:48 PM
BC - is it really like what this person says?

Let's say you wanna do a simple task, go sell your junk after a simple fetch quest and go talk to NPC on another planet, you have 15 loading screens coming.

"
Exit planet loading screen
Enter orbit loading screen
Land planet loading screen
Exit ship loading screen
Enter shop loading screen
Exit shop loading screen
Enter ship loading screen
Exit planet loading screen
Enter orbit loading screen
Land planet loading screen
Exit ship loading screen