Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: New (digital) Tactical WW2 game "The Troop"  (Read 2829 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
on: October 22, 2021, 07:49:58 AM
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1363740/The_Troop/

free demo

anyone know anything about it?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 08:18:13 AM
Read on rps it’s a bit close combat a bit combat mission - not feature rich yet but looks good from here

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 10:32:24 AM
downloaded the demo and have really enjoyed it - if anything its a very small scale Steel Panthers

You have a set number of units over a very small patch of land, focusing on things like a crossroads, a very small stretch of beach - its TBS and looks beautiful

These shots are from the crossroads scenario, 14:00 on dday and pushing back against some German resistance

This is the viewpoint for the majority of the game, its fully 360 so you can move the battlefield round - here an AT gun has engaged the Sherman in the middle of the screen, the objective is to reduce the enemy to 0 morale by killing them basically, i have infantry on the hedgerows at the top and tanks covering the intersection

A stug and the same sherman are playing cat and mouse round the farmhouse

One of the coolest features is when you fire a tank at the enemy or vice versa, the action zooms in cinema style to the shot

and the results too

The last been the stug finally getting caught at the back of the farm house

In short great fun, its been released onto Easy Access now but a lot of the community are appalled at its price of 31

Completely expected are the 2 negative reviews so far - the usual guy who ignores the fact that its in early access and cant get past any bugs or incomplete features and the nazi fan boy who finally got a tiger and is sulking it didnt kill everything everywhere ever

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 10:43:49 AM

.... and the nazi fan boy who finally got a tiger and is sulking it didnt kill everything everywhere ever

:ROFL:

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Something so addictive about the whole kill and loot dynamic, though." - Gusington

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 12:59:56 PM
Have not heard of this, just downloaded the demo. Tanks all!

Always do what you feel is best.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 03:28:21 PM
I played the demo when it was first released.  Even though I had a hell of a time beating the last mission, I figured it'd be a sure buy for me.  Then I saw the price and decided to wait.  I think they might gave priced themselves out of a fair number of sales based on posts I've seen around.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 03:58:02 PM
Yup that seems to be the big issue at the moment - I can’t see how they can reduce price and have to refund everyone who’s bought so far other than wait for a sale

It’s a great game - I’ll keep an eye on it

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 04:46:29 PM
Looks like a cross between 'Combat Missions' and 'Close Combat' games :-) No bad thing, obviously.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 11:47:38 PM
I've been playing the demo and it's more like a 3D Steel Panthers. The demo scenarios have very few units, only half dozen or so per side, but it's enough to get a good feel for the game. Turn based, IGO-UGO play style.

But no elevation now and chit chat seems to indicate no time soon... so only flat maps. ???

$45 CAD does seem a bit steep for EA and what's available right now but I'll probably cave before the end of the week. Really hoping for a Steel Panthers replacement.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

spelk

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 04:48:48 AM
"3d Steel Panthers" sounds like a must to try, especially if theres a demo.
Deffo keeping my eye on it, thanks for the heads up!

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 06:54:11 AM
I spent many an hour with all the Steel Panther's games, and then the SP Camo Workshop variant.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'