Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Bison's Tales of Hobby Crafting  (Read 58234 times)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #375 on: July 18, 2023, 10:08:59 PM

Don't know about that. Last session was rough for my dwarf  :sick:

Yeah, the dice were a little stingy with the high rolls for you.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #376 on: July 18, 2023, 10:15:43 PM
Anyhow, I spent the evening priming a bunch of Romans with a zenithal highlight. Tomorrow I hope to begin the next phase and start assembly line painting them. And then I can move on to Roman cavalry and Italian allies.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #377 on: September 14, 2023, 08:51:51 AM
These bad boys will be making their dog-fighting debut this weekend at Southern Front. 6 wildcats and 6 zero are ready to fight over the blue-felt skies.

No detailed work done for panel linings, yet. I am just going to gloss varnish for the convention and then experiment with oil washes later on a some point. I experimented with traditional wash on one and it was a mess. Not worth the effort and hassle of cleaning up to make look decent. So they go into the first foray fresh off the factory floor.

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #378 on: September 14, 2023, 09:44:07 AM
Those look really good. What scale are they?

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Something so addictive about the whole kill and loot dynamic, though." - Gusington

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #379 on: September 14, 2023, 11:00:00 AM
The models are 1/200th scale. These are the planes that come in Warlord Games Blood Red Skies Battle of Midway starter box.

Resin casts which is fine normally but some of my Mitsubishi A6M Zero's had poor definition on the canopy details.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #380 on: February 12, 2024, 11:31:04 AM
Where does the time go? Anyway, I have spent a little time working with Army Painter Speed Paints 2.0. I just wanted to get some plastic off the pile and good enough for the table. So far I like the results. Here's a couple of examples. I think I spent a grand total of 15 to 20 minutes on each of them. Mostly the time was letting the paints dry. I still need to work on how to get better effects but for about 30 minutes worth of time I can live with the results. If I had a little more ambition to do so, a quick highlighting would go a long way. But as it is there are now 2 new female fighter/ranger and 2 female thief types for the table.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #381 on: February 12, 2024, 10:11:08 PM
A couple more monsters for the collection. A couple of details could be touched up but I am lazy and , trust me, not a single person at my table will notice.

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #382 on: February 13, 2024, 02:35:10 AM
Those are superb.

I'm painting my Aliens board game figures at the moment. I say at the moment...I've have been at it for about two years.

I love painting...but I have anxiety about it being "right"...so I procrastinate

neach-gleidhidh na h-Alba

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #383 on: February 13, 2024, 05:52:17 AM
Love the Owlbear 😎

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #384 on: February 13, 2024, 06:43:45 AM
Yeah you got sum skillz Bison. The depth you put into the paint is outstanding.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #385 on: February 13, 2024, 07:16:10 AM
JD, "right" is just "how the guy painting likes it"

Painted however you want, and who cares if no one else likes it or if they think there's something wrong with it  :peace:

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #386 on: February 13, 2024, 07:22:58 AM
Those are superb.

I'm painting my Aliens board game figures at the moment. I say at the moment...I've have been at it for about two years.

I love painting...but I have anxiety about it being "right"...so I procrastinate

It looks really good JD. I understand your anxiety. I can get that mindset sometimes too particularly with army painting. It's easy to say but I just paint and embrace the outcome good or bad. And over the years, some of the minis I liked least the outcomes have seen the most time at the table.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #387 on: February 13, 2024, 07:24:22 AM
Love the Owlbear 😎

Thanks. I like the way he came out too. I think I need a second one for a greater beast unit in Dragon's Rampant.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #388 on: February 13, 2024, 08:44:41 PM
Great looking figures guys!

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #389 on: February 14, 2024, 02:52:42 AM
Bison

I don't want to hijack your thread - but how do I put some "depth" onto Burke there. His clothing is flat. His face is flat. I'd like to put a bit of life on him.

I guess maybe a wash? That might highlight the features? But I did do that before and it kind of made them just look dirty.

Any ideas?