Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Carrier Battles 4 Desktop  (Read 14571 times)

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 06:39:46 AM
The Buffalo was actually the USN's first choice for a monoplane fighter over the early model Wildcats. It was a much more maneuverable aircraft, but the Wildcat had greater potential for improvement. Once they started adding equipment and armor to the Buffalo, it couldn't keep pace with the Wildcat.

And don't forget that the some of Finns who kicked the VVS's ass were flying in Buffaloes.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 08:16:26 AM
The Buffalo was actually the USN's first choice for a monoplane fighter over the early model Wildcats. It was a much more maneuverable aircraft, but the Wildcat had greater potential for improvement. Once they started adding equipment and armor to the Buffalo, it couldn't keep pace with the Wildcat.

And don't forget that the some of Finns who kicked the VVS's ass were flying in Buffaloes.

Which they apparently loved. I think they threw out all of the armor to make them more agile.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 08:31:26 AM

Which they apparently loved. I think they threw out all of the armor to make them more agile.

That would be the key. The Buffalo was remarkably agile before the weight got added. Unloaded Buffaloes vs a Zeroes might be interesting to game out.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #18 on: December 10, 2018, 07:32:26 AM
In the book, Fifteen Stars, Weintraub records that pilots complained about the maneuverability of the P40 versus zeroes.
Hap Arnold, or maybe George Marshal, replied that they could improve the P40s maneuverability by removing armor.  If they wanted this fix, he'd give the order.
No reply came back.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #19 on: December 10, 2018, 02:25:06 PM
That's because he asked Americans, who hadn't consumed as much vodka as the Finns.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #20 on: April 20, 2020, 08:10:01 AM
Received my Steam beta key for this yesterday. Fired it up for a quick look and it looks quite good, visually at least. My hopes are high.  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #21 on: April 20, 2020, 08:52:11 AM
The iPad version is quite good, no reason this shouldn't be.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #22 on: April 20, 2020, 11:25:13 AM
On my Wishlist.  :bigthumb:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #23 on: April 20, 2020, 02:32:57 PM
Yep, added to mine as well.  I needed another game on there.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #24 on: April 20, 2020, 04:53:45 PM
Got beta keys but haven't tried it yet. Everything they've been sending about it so far looks great, though.

BletchleyGeek

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #25 on: August 07, 2020, 01:41:12 AM
Hello everyone,

any thoughts on the game after its release? I have been finding it quite satisfying against the AI, and I am looking forward to try it against another human when PBEM support is ready.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #26 on: August 07, 2020, 01:10:23 PM
They still haven’t fixed the map scrolling issue if you have peripherals plugged in to your PC.

Germanmenace1

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #27 on: August 12, 2020, 03:46:11 PM
I took the plunge.

BletchleyGeek

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #28 on: August 13, 2020, 07:03:42 AM
They still haven’t fixed the map scrolling issue if you have peripherals plugged in to your PC.

Discovered that too :) Higher profile Unity based games have similar issues too, almost a year since release.

Germanmenace1

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #29 on: August 14, 2020, 11:00:13 AM
The A.I. on Carrier Battles 4 is no joke.