Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Integrated GPU Wargame Suggestions  (Read 4993 times)

Bison

• Corporal
on: March 23, 2021, 10:31:09 AM
I am considering purchasing a computer game which be the first one bought in 3 or more years. However, I no longer have a PC with a dedicated GPU.

My current laptop specifications:
11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz
Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics
8GB Ram

Other than being able to run on the above hardware, I would like an AI that puts up a good challenge and preferably with a linked campaign or 4X.

I have looked at Panzer Corps 2, Warhammer 40,000K Gladius, Stellaris, and a few others. I would appreciate some suggestions on these games or any others from you fine gentlemen.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 10:59:22 AM
Have you tried/looked at either of the LnLP board game to PC conversions?
Nations at War and Lock 'n Load Tactical. Both on Steam. Both have low GPU requirements, at least that is what shows on the store page.

Nations at War is WWII West front, so far, platoon level tactical. Well done interface. Base game is like $5 bucks with scenario packs for $10. Ai still needs a bit of work but they are working on that.

LnLT is multi-front, multi-era, squad level tactical. Good UI. Good AI. Lots of scenarios. Again base game is cheap with add on scenario packs. Just buy what you want to play.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 11:23:30 AM
Any of the John Tiller games will work with those specs. https://www.johntillersoftware.com/

Same for HPS game, that aren't John Tiller's  ;)https://www.hpssims.com/

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 11:26:56 AM
The Decisive Campaign series from Matrix will all work.

DC1: Warsaw to Paris
DC2: Case Blue
DC3: Barbarossa

All are excellent hex and counter operational level games.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 11:36:47 AM
Thanks Bart! I had forgotten about Decisive Campaigns. Those really are great games.

I've been watching a play through of Grand Tactician: The Civil War. It looks great but it's still in early access. Not sure I want to deal with early access games...I don't want to test.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 11:48:41 AM
 :bigthumb:

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 11:59:47 AM
Also from Matrix- Shadow Empire.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 04:43:45 PM
I have initially gone with a couple of board game digital conversions. Gloomhaven (early access but its good so far), Lord of the Rings Card Game, and Terraforming Mars. There isn't a lot of remembering long-term plans required play the games between sessions which is great.

I am really leaning toward Grand Tactician but I might just load up Decisive Campaigns Case Blue for my wargame choice.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 04:49:09 PM
I have the Gloomhaven game; I got it when it was cheap on early access. Sadly, for whatever reason, I just don't seem to be able to get into it.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 04:52:23 PM
Oh really? Its a bit different from anything else I've played for an RPG but I'm digging it. It could be these are the first PC games that I have played in a year or more.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 05:19:32 PM
I think its because I can't 'see' my cards and do with them as you would in a physical game. This I find to be even more of an issue when you have several characters in play. I do keep going back for another try as I really like the game graphics.

If there was a way of displaying the cards you pick on-screen until you use them,  then I think that would be a big help.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 05:55:42 PM
I do understand what you are saying. I have just been planning (I loosely use this term of what I actually do) each characters two cards and then toggling back and forth between the different characters. It has gotten easier now that I have done 10 or so missions. But yes, its a bit of a pain in the backside trying to remember the card text.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 05:59:38 PM
And...I just discovered if you click on the hex on the characters icon at the top of the screen, it brings up all of the cards for the character at once. YAY!

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #13 on: March 23, 2021, 06:36:10 PM
Oh! I'll need to give that a try  :bigthumb: