Author Topic: Stray RPG stories  (Read 4287 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #30 on: October 23, 2021, 05:07:49 PM
Interesting, indeed.  Apparently I'm part of the 9%, although I wonder just how accurate that number is, especially when you consider players across all editions. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #31 on: October 23, 2021, 08:17:56 PM
I haven't played pen and paper D&D in more than 20 years but when I did, I was definitely in the 91%.  We did a couple of campaigns where we got up to level 18-20 or so but I found that I got the most enjoyment out of the game when the characters were level 4-8 or so.  Once they got above level 10, the gameplay fell pretty flat as magic users and clerics pretty much dominated the gameplay and things became very uneven.  For fighters especially, combat seemed to devolve into a dice chucking grind with saving throws replacing HP damage as the only real threat.

We've were dabbling at RPGs again just prior to COVID (hopefully we can get things going again soon) but we went with The Dark Eye rules system and the Warhammer FRP world. 

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator, Pilkunnussija
  • Administrator
  • Lead Sergeant
  • Onward and upward
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #32 on: February 18, 2022, 11:08:26 PM
well, shit....

:-\

from Designers & Dragons

HISTORY.

1. The publication of OD&D is closer to the start of the Great Depression than it is to the modern day.

2. The Soviet Union, Czechoslovakia, and Yugoslavia all existed when OD&D was published. Yemen and Germany were divided, and the Iron Curtain stretched across Eastern Europe.

3. Gary Gygax was at TSR for 12 years, a quarter of D&D's history.

4. Wizards of the Coast has owned D&D (1997-2022+) for longer than TSR did (1974-1997).

5. The publication of Delta Green (1996) is closer to the publication of OD&D (1974) than the modern day.

6. ICE published Middle-earth RPGs for 15 years. That ended 25 years ago; three more publishers have since taken up the mantle.

7. The first unofficial adaptation of Middle-earth for D&D happened in 1974 with OD&D; the first official adaptation happened in 2016, 42 years later.

8. A college freshman starting at university last fall has never seen AD&D published, except in a few collector's editions.

9. That same college freshman never played in a D&D game  where the sorcerer or warlock weren't either an option, or obviously missing.

10. That same college freshman never saw new products from FASA, GDW, the original Hero Games, or the original West End Games.

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #33 on: February 19, 2022, 10:54:05 AM
^  This could (should?) have been posted under the "Feeling Old" thread.  :buck2: 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike