Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Ships!  (Read 374498 times)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1515 on: February 12, 2023, 05:57:46 PM
After Power Point presentation at work, we would often stack the dead and wounded on the presentation table.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #1516 on: February 12, 2023, 09:08:28 PM

Was that after you and your colleagues tangled with the pirates of the Crimson Permanent Assurance?

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1517 on: February 12, 2023, 09:53:42 PM
 ;D  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #1518 on: February 13, 2023, 12:23:35 PM
Power Points should long ago have been considered, Weapons of Mass Destruction.  Just saying.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1519 on: March 25, 2023, 11:12:06 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vOu11kK5os0&

For all those War Plan Orange players.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #1520 on: March 26, 2023, 07:52:14 AM
Interesting to see those F3Fs, and also a TBD in its peacetime color scheme, albeit under not the best circumstances.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1521 on: March 26, 2023, 12:49:06 PM
Vitorio Veneto after one torpedo at Cape Matapan.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

GROGnadsUSA

Reply #1522 on: March 26, 2023, 04:41:35 PM
Interesting to see those F3Fs, and also a TBD in its peacetime color scheme, albeit under not the best circumstances.
Yeah, luckily I have built/constructed 'Model Kits' in their apropos 'color schemes' so, sure enough-! I especially liked the 'P-26' "Peashooter" or 'BF2C' "Goshawk"-!

There below is a "Goshawk" in 'Chineses livery'-!

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1523 on: March 26, 2023, 04:49:46 PM
Great pictures  :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #1524 on: March 26, 2023, 04:55:55 PM
I just love seeing those inter-war planes.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #1525 on: March 27, 2023, 11:59:05 AM
 :dreamer: All!

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1526 on: March 30, 2023, 09:53:40 AM
https://laststandonzombieisland.com/2023/03/22/warship-wednesday-march-22-2023-herr-ericssons-original-tin-can/

For those who are interested in ship experiments following the ACW, the designerf of the Monitor, John Ericsson, invented an underwater cannon.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #1527 on: March 30, 2023, 10:53:20 PM
Cool! I never heard this story before. Thanks Besilarius.  :applause:

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1528 on: April 04, 2023, 05:30:03 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ttDKnhc0H0g&feature=share

Comparing the galley of an aircraft carrier to the food in Das Boot is similar but on a larger scale.
For unreps, underway replenishment, the carrier has a small, glass bubble sticking out over the starboard hull.  The conning officer sits in it while controlling the carrier's approach and station keeping.
After weeks in which no ship got closer than 2,000 yards, some get a bit disturbed, giddy that the store ship is maybe eighty yards away, steaming alongside.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1529 on: April 10, 2023, 06:22:42 PM