Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Ships!  (Read 374049 times)

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #855 on: November 26, 2019, 09:29:55 AM
USS Robin, AKA HMS Victorious, is refueled by USS Cimarron on 12 July 1943. On 27 June, TF14 was redesignated Task Group 36.3 and sailed to provide cover for the invasion of New Georgia (part of Operation Cartwheel).

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #856 on: November 26, 2019, 01:55:27 PM
Thanks mirth and besilarius, much appreciated.

Out of curiosity, what types in the Red October game are designated FFLs? Are they mainly Soviet or are there NATO types?

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #857 on: November 26, 2019, 02:02:41 PM
Not sure offhand. It's the HFRO game from 1988 or so. It's not a deep nor heavy game.

Some complaints on BGG about the rules so I decided I might try to reformat it as I have time.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #858 on: November 26, 2019, 02:07:13 PM
BGG has a counter manifest file that shows the FFLs as Soviet types which makes sense as the Sovs built a lot of small ASW types for inshore work.

The HFRO game is decent for what it is - a light modern naval game. I have fond memories of it and the RSR game because they were some of the earliest wargames I played.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #859 on: November 26, 2019, 02:10:29 PM
I'm still trying to find someone to trade their RSR to me on BGG. The closest I've come thus far is a guy that wants either my copy of Star Wars Rebellion or Imperial Assault.  :2funny:

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #860 on: November 26, 2019, 02:12:50 PM
I keep an eye out for them at flea market tables and such. They aren't great games, but for 20 bucks I'd snag a copy for the nostalgia.

judgedredd

Reply #861 on: November 26, 2019, 05:45:03 PM
I'm still trying to find someone to trade their RSR to me on BGG. The closest I've come thus far is a guy that wants either my copy of Star Wars Rebellion or Imperial Assault.  :2funny:
If I've still got Red Storm Rising up in the loft, you're welcome to it. I don't know what postage would be like though. You mean Red Storm Rising by TSR right? I did have it. I don't know if I sold it at a car boot sale of it's still up in the loft. I'll check and let you know.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #862 on: November 26, 2019, 06:54:27 PM
If JD can't find his, I got one you could maybe trade for...  8)

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #863 on: November 26, 2019, 07:58:37 PM
On December 28, 1944, while transporting ammunition to Mindoro, Philippines, a Japanese kamikaze, flying an Aichi D3A "Val", chose the SS John Burke as his target and crashed into Burke at around 1020 hours. Few seconds later it disintegrated in a tremendous explosion. All souls were lost. Several ships nearby were damaged by the force of the blast and flying fragments. One of them sank before it was identified. One of the most powerful non-nuclear explosions in history.

https://www.facebook.com/argunnersmagazine/videos/344589332942325/?t=0

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #864 on: November 26, 2019, 08:27:46 PM
^

Holy cow that was a big explosion!

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #865 on: November 26, 2019, 11:12:38 PM
If I've still got Red Storm Rising up in the loft, you're welcome to it. I don't know what postage would be like though. You mean Red Storm Rising by TSR right? I did have it. I don't know if I sold it at a car boot sale of it's still up in the loft. I'll check and let you know.

Yes indeed, RSR by TSR. Well sure, we can certainly look into it if you do, thank you much for looking.  8)

If JD can't find his, I got one you could maybe trade for...  8)

Pretty sure I might have a game or two you'd be interested in, ha.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #866 on: November 27, 2019, 12:02:11 PM
Aircraft carrier HMS Indefatigable, Queen Charlotte Sound, New Zealand, November 1945

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #867 on: November 27, 2019, 12:33:04 PM
Good picture, that  :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #868 on: November 27, 2019, 07:38:17 PM
Royal Navy's Astute class nuclear attack submarines under construction

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #869 on: November 27, 2019, 07:40:22 PM
HMS Illustrious, 23 February 1983. 9 Harriers and 9 helicopters are on deck, also visible are the Sea Dart system and emergency Phalanx fit