Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Ships!  (Read 375650 times)

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #990 on: December 26, 2019, 09:16:06 AM
Bomb impacts on Enterprise, August 1942.

https://imgur.com/GUrPZOA

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #991 on: December 26, 2019, 01:23:38 PM

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #992 on: December 26, 2019, 02:00:13 PM
Nasty.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #993 on: December 27, 2019, 08:22:12 AM
Battleships steaming in column off the California coast during the 1920s. The three leading ships are (in no particular order) USS Colorado (BB-45), USS Maryland (BB-46), and USS West Virginia (BB-48), followed by USS Tennessee (BB-43) and three older battleships.

Photograph taken from USS California (BB-44).

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #994 on: December 27, 2019, 01:52:27 PM
HMS Vengeance on rollout day (Vanguard Class)

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #995 on: December 30, 2019, 08:23:30 AM
Economic reality is putting the brakes on Chinese carrier expansion.

https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htnavai/20191229.aspx

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #996 on: December 30, 2019, 08:46:37 AM
Maybe its a ruse de guerre

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #997 on: December 30, 2019, 09:32:21 AM
Always a possibility. As is the building a massive carrier fleet being a huge head-fake. Anything that slows them down is good in my book.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #998 on: December 30, 2019, 09:33:05 AM
This is particularly interesting:

"A fourth problem is demographic. Several decades of the “one-child” per couple policy did prevent a population explosion. It also helped create the first large (several hundred million strong) Chinese middle class of well-educated engineers and other professionals. These are the people who were key to China quickly creating the second largest GDP in the world. But there is a catch. Affluent, talented women everywhere, and throughout history, don’t have a lot of children. Even though the one-child rule was revoked several years ago, the population is not growing, especially with the educated couples. Worse the children of middle-class families are not eager to join the military, which needs their skills to operate all this new gear"

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #999 on: December 30, 2019, 10:19:09 AM

"A fourth problem is demographic. Several decades of the “one-child” per couple policy did prevent a population explosion. It also helped create the first large (several hundred million strong) Chinese middle class of well-educated engineers and other professionals. These are the people who were key to China quickly creating the second largest GDP in the world. But there is a catch. Affluent, talented women everywhere, and throughout history, don’t have a lot of children. Even though the one-child rule was revoked several years ago, the population is not growing, especially with the educated couples. Worse the children of middle-class families are not eager to join the military, which needs their skills to operate all this new gear"

To some degree, this is true with a lot of modern countries.  Birthrates are low, and the military doesn't have much appeal for younger generations, especially in countries with low unemployment.  China is catching up with Europe, USA, and other affluent countries with strong economies.  If one is a hopeless optimist, it is possible to envision a future when the youth of all countries refuse to join their militaries and peace breaks out worldwide.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #1000 on: December 30, 2019, 10:22:56 AM
The unintended consequences of the one-child policy are fascinating. Right or wrong as a policy, it was an unprecedented social engineering experiment that will be studied for decades to come.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1001 on: December 30, 2019, 11:07:32 AM

To some degree, this is true with a lot of modern countries.  Birthrates are low, and the military doesn't have much appeal for younger generations, especially in countries with low unemployment.  China is catching up with Europe, USA, and other affluent countries with strong economies.  If one is a hopeless optimist, it is possible to envision a future when the youth of all countries refuse to join their militaries and peace breaks out worldwide.

Nah, anyone can push a button.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #1002 on: December 30, 2019, 11:08:40 AM
Knowing your job, that's a real comfort.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #1003 on: December 30, 2019, 11:09:48 AM

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1004 on: December 30, 2019, 11:11:38 AM
lol

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy