Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Ships!  (Read 374033 times)

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1500 on: January 05, 2023, 11:30:42 AM

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #1501 on: January 05, 2023, 12:50:37 PM
https://www-ukrinform-net.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.ukrinform.net/amp/rubric-ato/3647091-russian-fleet-loses-another-two-flagships-intelligence-source.html?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQIKAGwASCAAgM%3D&

The Russian navy is a mess.

The intelligence source also reported that another ship of the Southern Fleet, the heavy aircraft-carrying cruiser Admiral Kuznetsov of the Soviet Union Fleet, is also in critical disrepair.

At the same time, the report says the crews of both ships have been formed anyway. The size of the crew of the aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov of the Soviet Union Fleet was brought to wartime alert. The crew of the heavy nuclear cruiser Admiral Nakhimov has also been formed and is preparing to arrive on board.

"Soviet Union" Fleet  ;D

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #1502 on: January 05, 2023, 10:56:55 PM
They're still ahead of the Mongolian Navy.  :biggrin:  But not by much.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #1503 on: January 06, 2023, 06:29:20 AM

At least Mongolia's entire navy is at operational readiness, more or less...

https://nowiknow.com/mongolias-strange-and-unnecessary-and-really-small-navy/

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #1504 on: January 06, 2023, 11:23:44 AM
I KNEW someone would come-up with the Pride of Mongolia's facts and figures here. Just didn't know it would be Stagger. But I probably should have. Well done!  :applause:

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1505 on: January 11, 2023, 10:54:06 AM
https://www-pravda-com-ua.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/01/9/7384073/index.amp

The end of old smokey?
Admiral Kuznetzov has internal spaces filled with water and inspectors report serious hull degradation.

The carrier Franklin D Roosevelt (nicknamed Eleanor's pig) was worked to death during Nam and then sent to the Med for the Yom Kippur war.  Surveyed before entering a yard period, it was determined her hull had degraded to the point it would collapse on itself without water holding the skin up.
Ships age and need constant TLC.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #1506 on: January 11, 2023, 03:09:51 PM
I say we take the USS Texas out of dry dock and they have a shoot out   8)

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #1507 on: January 11, 2023, 11:07:12 PM
I'd buy a ticket for that. If...my seat WASN'T on the Kuznetsov however.  :biggrin:

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1508 on: January 12, 2023, 06:57:54 PM

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1509 on: January 16, 2023, 08:52:06 AM
https://www.popsci.com/technology/navy-ship-gets-large-metal-printer

Not sure if this goes under ships or if we need a thread on new technologies.
Xerox (!) Has developed a 3D printer that will ease supply problems.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #1510 on: January 16, 2023, 11:50:25 AM
Cool. Now if they could just 3-D print the ships...   ???

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1511 on: January 23, 2023, 11:53:50 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahs47A1x7ac

1920 video of HMS Tiger and Hood at Stockholm.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #1512 on: January 23, 2023, 10:52:50 PM
Beautiful ships.  :dreamer:

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1513 on: February 05, 2023, 11:55:59 PM

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1514 on: February 12, 2023, 05:26:16 PM
Well, here's a gumdrop of knowledge for you.
If you read about age of sail engagements, the British accounts always say that the Spanish and French ships had piles of dead and wounded on deck.  Also, you can read the same sort of description in CS Forester, Patrick O'Brien, Douglas Reeman, eh al.
The reason for this was the Royal Navy taught their sailors to throw dead men over the side, during combat.
The bodies got in the way and seeing all the casualties was disheartening.
The Spanish and French did not have this policy.  So iN a battle, their decks were covered with dead.
The reason was that those navys would not issue a certificate of death without the body.
For the widows to receive any compensation, or to remarry, they had to have the death certified.