Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Distant Worlds 2  (Read 68700 times)

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #195 on: March 10, 2022, 11:38:38 AM
First aid course  :tickedoff:

Pfft. I'm about to go away until Monday! At least you'll have the weekend!

Enjoy everyone. I'll be getting my thrills vicariously through you lot while I'm away so post often! :D

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #196 on: March 10, 2022, 12:18:15 PM
Distant Worlds 2 will have to wait...it barely runs on my gaming computer.... :tickedoff:

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #197 on: March 10, 2022, 12:27:56 PM
And I ran into resolution problems.  :doh:
Had to reset by deleting some files. Now it runs but not at my screen resolution.... :waiting:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #198 on: March 10, 2022, 06:41:18 PM
A surprisingly decent launch trailer.  Kudos again to Slitherine for stepping up their game. 

DasTactic has also put out a primer video for new players: 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #199 on: March 10, 2022, 06:46:59 PM
Yeah, there are tons of folks reporting technical issues, both in the M/S forums and Steam forums.  Can't tell if it's especially bad, however, or if this is more or less the "normal" amount you'd inevitably expect from a new release. 

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #200 on: March 10, 2022, 07:41:55 PM
I became convinced long ago that Matrix purposefully releases flawed games on day one to thwart pirates. Then they release a Day 1 patch that you can only get through their system, and now Steam.... :whistle: But maybe I'm old and paranoid....

Anyway it turns out the resolution thing can be fixed by a switch inside Windows.  :bigthumb:

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #201 on: March 10, 2022, 10:20:28 PM
A couple of quick thoughts;

1.  In DW:U there was a screen you could use to queue up the building of multiple ships.  I'm not finding that here in DW2.  You have to select a construction yard and click the ship want to build, that many times.
2.  Why is there still no fleet build/design screen.
3.  I haven't found a way to transfer a ship from one fleet to another.

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #202 on: March 11, 2022, 09:17:23 AM

1.  In DW:U there was a screen you could use to queue up the building of multiple ships.  I'm not finding that here in DW2.  You have to select a construction yard and click the ship want to build, that many times.

2. There is a fleet design screen. Take the "Military" tour and it will show you how to get there. It lets you define what types of ships and number you want in the fleet and how the fleet acts. If all that is what you meant...

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #203 on: March 11, 2022, 03:37:49 PM

2. There is a fleet design screen. Take the "Military" tour and it will show you how to get there. It lets you define what types of ships and number you want in the fleet and how the fleet acts. If all that is what you meant...

Yep, that's what I was looking for.  Was looking in the wrong spot. 

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #204 on: March 11, 2022, 06:06:29 PM
I am looking forward to eventually playing this game as I think DW is one of the best 4X games ever. However, I still need to play Stellaris some more and want to give this one post-release time for the usual patching process. What I am really hoping long-term is the game is accessible for modders to do their work.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #205 on: March 11, 2022, 07:19:14 PM
I think I have to admit that playing Stellaris these past 5+ years has spoiled me:  I'm used to a certain level of polish, and a certain level of ease & functionality from game UI/UX, that Distant Worlds 2 simply doesn't have.  I know a lot of aspects of DW2 will improve with time, but man it's gonna be hard waiting for that to happen. 

At least I've been fortunate enough to not run into any CTD'S or other major technical problems so far, unlike so many others.  I do find myself frequently annoyed with minor issues:  For instance, I hate the auto-unpause "feature" (and that there's apparently no way for me to change that), or the fact that I can no longer queue up manual orders for ships (like I could in DW:U), or (to share one of ojsdad's frustrations) that there doesn't appear to be a single screen from which I can order X number of Z ship type to be built, and instead I have to go a specific facility and manually queue some up. 

Don't get me wrong; I'm definitely still enjoying the game overall, and I know it will only improve.  But I'm quickly realizing/remembering what a world of difference different publishers can make. 

What I am really hoping long-term is the game is accessible for modders to do their work.

You and me both, Bison:peace: 

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #206 on: March 11, 2022, 07:48:18 PM
I booted it up, made sure it works, spent 10 mins with it and switched it off - it needs way more than oooo I’ll have a look at this for a bit - need a proper sit down on a day off

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #207 on: March 11, 2022, 10:40:17 PM
Additional gripes (in no particular order): 

-  Why does double mouse-click not work to save/load games?  This has been standard for years now. 

-  You cannot pause and save the game when you get certain messages (such as finding an ancient crashed ship on Planet X).  If you don't decide what to do *right that moment*, you'll never be able to go back to that popup message and revisit/change your decision...or even make one at all. 

-  Zooming in on planets brings up this repeated -- and to my ears, annoying -- percussion riff that overrides the soundtrack (which, while not fantastic, is definitely better than in DW:U).  The riff only seems to go away when you zoom out...which kind of defeats the purpose of being able to zoom in and watch your ships flying around doing stuff. 

-  In the "Settings" menu, any changes you make are automatically applied, regardless of whether you clicked "Apply" or "Cancel". 

-  Unlike in DW:U, I can no longer take a Constructor ship and order it build a base on a planet/moon by right-clicking on it.  Why has this beautifully simple functionality been removed in the sequel? 

-  Unlike in DW:U, I can no longer zoom in on ships that are transiting between celestial bodies, unless they've temporarily dropped to sub-light speed (they can only be viewed as icons while in "flight").  Granted, this function is less essential, but I'm baffled as to why it was dropped in the first place. 

Again, all minor stuff, and most (hopefully all) of them can be fixed/addressed easily enough in time.  But it is a bit frustrating that none of these things were caught/dealt with during the alpha/beta period. 

I booted it up, made sure it works, spent 10 mins with it and switched it off - it needs way more than oooo I’ll have a look at this for a bit - need a proper sit down on a day off

Yes, indeed.  Like its predecessor, DW2 is not a game you just casually fire up for a bit here and there.  It requires, if not demands, almost as much of a commitment as Shadow Empire.  :P 

« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 11:02:12 PM by Martok »

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #208 on: March 12, 2022, 12:05:09 AM
Looking at the martok approved gripes (tm) I think I’ll be ok - having never played the first I’ll miss out on all the dw:u used to do this

As for Shadow Empire - the one more turn factor particularly with pbem is horrendous - I got out of bed twice the other night to return huw’s turns with ‘have the supplies got through’ ‘did the build complete’ anxiety

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #209 on: March 12, 2022, 07:30:34 AM
Looks like the first patch as dropped.  Mostly crash fixes.

Changes in the 1.0.1.6 Update:

- Fixed crash that sometimes happens when have many game controllers and other devices
- Fixed User Interface Size showing options that are invalid for the current screen resolution
- Improved handling of High DPI settings in Windows
- Added settings to ensure NVidia video cards run in high performance mode - should fix a number of crashes and performance problems
- Fixed rare crash when moving characters via dropdown list in Character screen
- Fixed rare rendering crash
- Fixed rare crash when ship design could not be found when updating render data
- Improved performance at location level when many ships and lots of running lights
- Fixed bug in Start New Game screen where could select race-specific government types when select random race
- No longer prevent construction ships from carrying out base-building when waiting for response on advisor suggestions for repairing abandoned ships or bases
- Hooked up instability and unhappiness after a government change, leader loss, etc ('Have Revolution' button)
- Construction ships no longer feel tempted to repair fighters
- Fixed bug in some game events that was causing loss of a colony
- Fixed wrong tooltip text on buttons in Character Detail screen for captured prisoners
- Further fixes to crashes after lengthy play sessions
- Further improvements to performance by making sure GPU runs at maximum performance instead of sometimes using power-saving mode