Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Distant Worlds 2  (Read 70413 times)

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #225 on: March 15, 2022, 07:29:01 AM
I’m running into the hoards of pirates thing too, and so are lots of others. Even at very few and far away I seem to get two or three in my home system.

Someone in the Steam discussion was saying that some of  the pirates are triggered by events, and are part of the lore story, and are thus not controlled by the startup settings… make sense if true but still seems a bit much right at the start.

:waiting:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #226 on: March 15, 2022, 08:50:43 AM
Can you disable the story elements then?

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #227 on: March 15, 2022, 09:49:35 AM
Can you disable the story elements then?

Not sure....

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #228 on: March 15, 2022, 11:01:05 AM
I don't know why I didn't just load the game and check for myself. :D

So I did, and yes you can - both general and race-specific stories, apparently. Cool.

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #229 on: March 15, 2022, 04:33:47 PM
(to share one of ojsdad's frustrations) that there doesn't appear to be a single screen from which I can order X number of Z ship type to be built, and instead I have to go a specific facility and manually queue some up. 

Found it!  Top right of the screenshot with the green box around it

This doesn't seem to be working at all.  I've tried it a couple of times, but no ships seem to be getting queued up.

I thought I had the same problem at first - are you clicking "purchase" after queuing up the ships? Nothing gets built until you do, but I've just confirmed it's working for me.

You are correct, though, that there's no way to re-base a fleet. What you can do is select the fleet (therefore all the ships will be selected in a group), disband it, then click create fleet again. However I don't know what logic it uses to choose what will be the new base. When I did it, the base went from the planet to the star port in orbit.

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #230 on: March 15, 2022, 07:27:14 PM
After researching colonisation tech I scratched my head for ages wondering how to build a colony ship. Turns out you need to research another tech (something like small civilian vessels) to get access to the colony ship hull. You'd think one would be a prerequisite for the other, wouldn't you?  ::) Anyway, hopefully this saves someone else the bafflement.

I think I've found a bug regarding resource abundancies. I literally watched with my own eyes as an exploration ship surveyed an asteroid. It definitely said it had about 3% Mebnar and nothing else. However I then got a pop-up suggestion that we build a mining base there because it has 13% steel and 12% Mebnar! I said yes anyway, then popped back over to the asteroid, selected it, and once again it said 3% Mebnar. So which is it?!

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #231 on: March 16, 2022, 12:34:43 AM
So when playing as the Ackdarians, you start with an ancient Small Spaceport in orbit of your homeworld.  Once you "discover" it (i.e., it comes into sensor range of one of your exploration ships), you get the option of either repairing it -- thus immediately gaining a free spaceport -- or scrapping it for a decent sum of credits & resources.  (Going strictly by the numbers, it's probably worth more to scrap the spacesport...except that you need to then spend the time building a new spaceport -- time your construction ships could have spent building other stations instead.) 

However, since the 1.0.1.9 patch dropped yesterday, I've been repeatedly running into an issue (bug?) where the Ackdarians' ancient spaceport is automatically rebuilt...and then automatically scrapped just a day or two later.  It all happens so quickly that the messages for both events pop up at nearly the same time, and there's no opportunity for me to have any input on the matter regardless. 

Moreover, this now happens every single time I play as the Ackdarians -- no exceptions.  Is anyone else experiencing this, or is it just me? 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #232 on: March 16, 2022, 12:58:47 AM

Someone in the Steam discussion was saying that some of  the pirates are triggered by events, and are part of the lore story, and are thus not controlled by the startup settings…

Yep, that's precisely what Erik said in his response to my query about it in the Matrix forums.  Guess I'll try firing up a new game with pirates turned completely off and see what happens. 

make sense if true but still seems a bit much right at the start.

Agreed. 

(to share one of ojsdad's frustrations) that there doesn't appear to be a single screen from which I can order X number of Z ship type to be built, and instead I have to go a specific facility and manually queue some up. 

Found it!  Top right of the screenshot with the green box around it

This doesn't seem to be working at all.  I've tried it a couple of times, but no ships seem to be getting queued up.

I thought I had the same problem at first - are you clicking "purchase" after queuing up the ships? Nothing gets built until you do, but I've just confirmed it's working for me.

For myself, yes I did finally find that screen.  And yes, I did figure I had to click "purchase" in order to actually get the ships built. 

I feel, however, that perhaps the Purchase button could/should be better highlighted.  It's maybe fine if (like me) you've played DW:U before, or even other complex strategy games -- and even then, some folks are still going to struggle -- but you're likely to be a lost boy/girl otherwise. 

[You are correct, though, that there's no way to re-base a fleet. What you can do is select the fleet (therefore all the ships will be selected in a group), disband it, then click create fleet again. However I don't know what logic it uses to choose what will be the new base. When I did it, the base went from the planet to the star port in orbit.

Oy.  That almost gives me a headache just reading your description of that.  :doh:   

It's a textbook example of how DW2 currently feels so rough, even setting aside the usual issues a game often deals with just after release.  There is absolutely zero reason why re-basing a fleet shouldn't already be a function in the game.  The lack of said feature is especially baffling when DW2 is obviously trying to compete with Stellaris, which of course has had the re-basing function for fleets since the very beginning.  I just don't get it. 

After researching colonisation tech I scratched my head for ages wondering how to build a colony ship. Turns out you need to research another tech (something like small civilian vessels) to get access to the colony ship hull. You'd think one would be a prerequisite for the other, wouldn't you?  ::) Anyway, hopefully this saves someone else the bafflement.

Heh.  Yes, that would make sense.  ::) ;D  I have started noticing that tech requirements are not always very straightforward; I feel like they could've been/could be laid out a little better. 

I think I've found a bug regarding resource abundancies. I literally watched with my own eyes as an exploration ship surveyed an asteroid. It definitely said it had about 3% Mebnar and nothing else. However I then got a pop-up suggestion that we build a mining base there because it has 13% steel and 12% Mebnar! I said yes anyway, then popped back over to the asteroid, selected it, and once again it said 3% Mebnar. So which is it?!

Hmm, that one's new to me; at the very least, I've not noticed it so far.  You might want to report that bug in the forums. 

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #233 on: March 16, 2022, 06:19:07 AM
heh - im much easier to please than you guys im just watching private industry do its thing - loving it

Dont know if it will be easier to open a new DW2 faq thread but ill ask here anyway

ive scanned an asteroid and it shows steel and blah blah but with a red box round it saying shortage - is this saying i have a shortage of materials to build a mine here or that i have a shortage of this at home and building a mine here will be great

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #234 on: March 16, 2022, 06:59:44 AM
heh - im much easier to please than you guys im just watching private industry do its thing - loving it

Oh, absolutely.  It's a total blast to watch your industry in motion, and to see it slowly expand across your system; it's by far one of the series' great strengths (for both games).  It never gets old for me.  :) 

Dont know if it will be easier to open a new DW2 faq thread but ill ask here anyway

ive scanned an asteroid and it shows steel and blah blah but with a red box round it saying shortage - is this saying i have a shortage of materials to build a mine here or that i have a shortage of this at home and building a mine here will be great

It's the second one.  Go build that mine! 

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #235 on: March 16, 2022, 11:46:46 AM
thankyou sir

research stations have been built around my moon, mining off the asteroid belt, shortly to be mining the moon, exploration ship off to next system, scientist sent off to research station........ all seems to be going ok so far

i keep getting a message saying theres hidden things on my home planet - presumably i need to research more high powered scanners and fit the new gear onto the exploration ship?

i just failed my first research target having 'taken the wrong path' is that just a bad dice roll?

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #236 on: March 16, 2022, 01:22:22 PM
I think this has been mentioned but I can't find it now - why can't I build a starport wherever I like? One got built automatically (might have been a suggestion first) around my home planet, but regardless of whether it's a good idea, why can't I order a construction ship to build one around another? Does the planet need to be colonised first?

i keep getting a message saying theres hidden things on my home planet - presumably i need to research more high powered scanners and fit the new gear onto the exploration ship?

Yeah I'm pretty sure the tooltip says as much mate.

i just failed my first research target having 'taken the wrong path' is that just a bad dice roll?

Yeah that's a critical failure. You can get critical successes as well, that - so far at least - seem to reward you with a scientist as well as crashing your current research for free.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #237 on: March 17, 2022, 01:43:55 AM

Correct. 

Precisely. 

I've had a few of those myself, along with a few "critical successes" as well.  It's all to represent how research can take the occasional left turn, both for good and for bad. 

I think this has been mentioned but I can't find it now - why can't I build a starport wherever I like? One got built automatically (might have been a suggestion first) around my home planet, but regardless of whether it's a good idea, why can't I order a construction ship to build one around another? Does the planet need to be colonised first?

That's correct.  You can only build starports around inhabited planets (that you own). 

I will say it would be nice if you could at least construct "starbases" (that serve as a combination of shipyard, supply depot, listening post, etc.) anywhere you like.  (Heck, maybe you *can*, and I just haven't figured how to build them yet.  Wouldn't entirely surprise me.) 

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #238 on: March 17, 2022, 09:40:51 PM
Playing as Humans, pre-warp tech.  Shortly after I get basic warp tech, I get visited by a pirate clan.  I have the choice of ignoring them or paying them 25,000 credits. 

Spoiler: ShowHide
Paying them 25K, reveals that they hare also human, and the decedents of our ancestors.  They're ancestor were members of 8th fleet, tasked with watching over our world until the  time we're ready to go into the star again.  You can a base in a near by system, 3 frigates, and a destroyer.   
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 08:07:14 AM by ojsdad »

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #239 on: March 17, 2022, 11:36:36 PM
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 04:05:34 PM by Barthheart »