Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Distant Worlds 2  (Read 70391 times)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #240 on: March 18, 2022, 12:25:58 AM
SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #241 on: March 18, 2022, 08:08:15 AM
There, I hid it now.

Wasn't looking to do that, was just trying to show that some of the pirates are more than what they first appear. 

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #242 on: March 18, 2022, 09:28:50 AM
I think I've found a bug regarding resource abundancies. I literally watched with my own eyes as an exploration ship surveyed an asteroid. It definitely said it had about 3% Mebnar and nothing else. However I then got a pop-up suggestion that we build a mining base there because it has 13% steel and 12% Mebnar! I said yes anyway, then popped back over to the asteroid, selected it, and once again it said 3% Mebnar. So which is it?!

Solved. Apparently the advisor popup details all the resources that will be in range of the mine. The reason I was confused is that it named the precise asteroid, so I assumed it was talking about resources only from that asteroid.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #243 on: March 18, 2022, 11:52:55 AM
New patch dropped;

Distant Worlds 2 - Latest Update (1.0.2.1)

This build will reset the game's settings. Unfortunately this is required while we continue troubleshooting issues that are preventing some players from being able to play Distant Worlds 2. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Latest Troubleshooting FAQ HERE

IMPORTANT NOTE: There is now a new startup log in the /data/logs sub-folder of the Distant Worlds 2 installation.

This is also where any crash logs are located. If you are experiencing an issue, please post these logs for us along with the issue report.

IMPORTANT NOTE: There is a new GameSettingsOverride.txt in the /data sub-folder of the Distant Worlds 2 installation.

The settings here may help some players experiencing a black screen on load issue.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are experiencing performance issues use the key combination Shift + tilde to enable an overlay on the top left which will confirm for us which GPU DW2 is using on your system as well as other performance parameters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes in the 1.0.2.1 build:

CRASH FIXES
- fixed rare crash when rendering empire territory
- fixed rare crash when scrapping advanced ship with tech bonus, but your empire has not yet researched a relevant project
- fixed rare crash when calculating military ship strength
- fixed rare crash when evaluating threats to a ship

RENDERING CRASH HANDLING
- more graceful recovery when texture or vertex buffer creation fails due to display adapter crash, reset, or change in performance mode. This should greatly reduce the number of DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED crashes

DIPLOMACY
- improved diplomacy so that relations now more likely to rise to higher levels (top-level treaties) when you work at improving relations with a faction. Remember that you can directly set diplomatic strategy per faction, which will also help improve relations (Befriend, Ally, Close Ally)

FLEETS AND SHIPS
- fixed bug where ships and fleets could sometimes teleport to edge of galaxy when assigned a mission while already jumping
- fleet jump speed coordination now applies to all fleet missions, not just attack missions (ships travel at same jump speed)
- Fuel Tankers no longer use fleet jump speed when part of a fleet

OTHER
- now properly review maximum colony population level as tech improves (colonization modifiers) and planet quality changes (terraforming, etc). This fixes issues with migration missions sometimes not completing
- ensure that player's per-role ship design automation settings are reset between each game (not remembered from previous games)
- Fleet Template screen no longer generates empty fleet when do not have enough money to build
- ensure scroll position in Empire Policy screen is reset to top when open again (previously settings were sometimes not appearing until scrolled up)
- reduced estimated resource demand for fuel so that more accurately aligns with actual usage
- changed default game start settings for research to fixed paths and colonization range limit to 300M
- Data fixes and changes to correct resource costs for some components/hulls with no resource costs or incorrect costs
- Added missing fallback paths for some armor techs
- Fixes for some story event issues
- Extended range for dedicated bombardment weapons
- Simplified main menu scene to assist with consistent startup crash troubleshooting

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #244 on: March 18, 2022, 02:57:12 PM
So, I did a search on the DW2 forum asking about setting the Home Base for a fleet, here is the answer.

judgedredd

Reply #245 on: March 18, 2022, 03:25:02 PM
There, I hid it now.

Wasn't looking to do that, was just trying to show that some of the pirates are more than what they first appear.
Ha - doesn't matter - Barth quoted it  :doh:

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #246 on: March 18, 2022, 04:03:15 PM
So, I did a search on the DW2 forum asking about setting the Home Base for a fleet, here is the answer.

FFS why can't it be a button on the orders bar like the first game?!

Fine, at least there's a way. Thanks mate.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #247 on: March 18, 2022, 04:05:57 PM
There, I hid it now.

Ha - doesn't matter - Barth quoted it  :doh:

:-[ Fixed!

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #248 on: March 18, 2022, 06:00:42 PM
Am I the only one that seems to be having colonies get stuck at -1,000 credits.  They never seem to go below that, except for my home world and one independent colony that joined my empire

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #249 on: March 18, 2022, 07:21:39 PM
I no more posted the above about colonies, and then a number of them start improving economically. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #250 on: March 19, 2022, 02:53:37 AM
Playing as Humans, pre-warp tech.  Shortly after I get basic warp tech, I get visited by a pirate clan.  I have the choice of ignoring them or paying them 25,000 credits. 

Spoiler: ShowHide
Paying them 25K, reveals that they hare also human, and the decedents of our ancestors.  They're ancestor were members of 8th fleet, tasked with watching over our world until the  time we're ready to go into the star again.  You can a base in a near by system, 3 frigates, and a destroyer.   

Very cool, ojsdad!  I'm guessing that's precisely what Erik was referring to about pirates being part of game/faction lore. 

I think I've found a bug regarding resource abundancies. I literally watched with my own eyes as an exploration ship surveyed an asteroid. It definitely said it had about 3% Mebnar and nothing else. However I then got a pop-up suggestion that we build a mining base there because it has 13% steel and 12% Mebnar! I said yes anyway, then popped back over to the asteroid, selected it, and once again it said 3% Mebnar. So which is it?!

Solved. Apparently the advisor popup details all the resources that will be in range of the mine. The reason I was confused is that it named the precise asteroid, so I assumed it was talking about resources only from that asteroid.

Ah, good to know.  Thanks, Huw

I've been wondering about whether mining stations were "connected" to one asteroid only, or several, as it's not been clear.  I'd been hoping it was the latter, so it's nice to get some confirmation of that. 

I no more posted the above about colonies, and then a number of them start improving economically. 

Heh, I'm not surprised.  How income works -- especially from colonies, but also in general -- has always been something of a black box when it comes to Distant Worlds. 

It's become more of a common complaint that ever this past week.  I'm curious to see what, if anything, Elliot & Erik do about it. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #251 on: March 19, 2022, 03:29:30 AM
Incidentally, I came across a couple things I found interesting... 

First off, Marco Minoli, Slitherine's marketing director, wrote up this short piece about DW2

Spoiler: ShowHide

Distant Worlds beginning

When the first Distant Worlds launched in 2010 Slitherine was a different place. It was the first big title we were releasing after the acquisition of Matrix Games, and it was launched on our site only. CodeForce was a one-man team with almost no external help; everything was done in-house: engine, graphics, design, story. Everything.

A passion, not a work

As a marketing person, everything I do is about communicating someone else's vision, the fruit of someone else's heart and mind, and turning it into product. And that is the real challenge because the creators of these games don't see what they do as a "product." More often than not, they don't even see it as work. It's a passion, and it's dedication, excitement, intensity, joy, and rage. It's more an emotion than a product, but it's a very personal one, something that's impossible to translate into words or images. There is so much intangible behind a game like this that seeing it out there, played and enjoyed and rated by others, feels unreal for those who have made it.

Twelve years later

After twelve years, though, Distant Worlds belongs to the players as much as it belongs to its creators: Elliott Gibbs and Erik Rutins. This is why we decided to pick "The Galaxy is Alive" as a tagline for the game. It's been alive for a long time now, and it's now taking new life with this launch. It's the biggest thing we've ever released in our history, and seeing thousands of players spending countless hours in the game is a privilege for everyone who's worked on it. We've reached the top of the charts, added tens of thousands of wishlists, made it to the homepages over every single 3d party store around the globe. And yet, this is only the beginning of an incredible journey.

The future

While the CodeForce team loses sleep trying to fix the inevitable launch bugs, we're all working hard to plan the title's future. Once the dust settles for the outside world, Elliott and Erik will return to their drawing board and reignite their creator mode, turn ideas into code, code into sweat and emotions and pass it over to us.

There will be a lot more screaming and shouting, more planning and brainstorming, but we're going to make sure that we keep breathing new life into the galaxy. You will only have to enjoy it.

I get the sense this is a combination of spin-doctoring and/or ass-covering, but I'm puzzled as to what end, since (as far as I can tell) the article is currently only accessible via the company's emailed newsletter.  I'm similarly curious as to who the article is aimed at, since I'm guessing most folks who are already signed up to receive the newsletter generally understand how Slittherine operates, and are therefore going to be more patient and/or forgiving with DW2's various launch issues. 

Second, Marco made some interesting comments in connection with DW2 during Thursday's Tea Time video:

In it, he talks about how the game is, by far, the biggest and -- overall -- most successful launch in Slitherine's history; and proceeds to rattle off a bunch of numbers highlighting that fact. 

A little later on, however, he announces Slitherine is delaying the launch of their Starship Troopers game...in order to put it through a final -- and much larger -- beta pool/process, so they can better test how well the game runs on different hardware configurations.  He directly admits this is in response to DW2's launch, and how going forward, Slitherine plans to be more thorough & methodical about testing for these sorts of problems before releasing their games (presumably & especially their larger titles). 

It'll interesting to see how this affects development of their other games going forward, but perhaps it's just as well that Distant Worlds 2 is turning out to be a wake-up call for them. 

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #252 on: March 19, 2022, 04:25:39 AM
Very interesting, thanks Martok. I have been as frustrated as anyone else with some of the launch issues, but unless my memory is failing me, DW2 actually launched in a far better shape than its predecessor. The first game had some unbelievable "how did you miss that" moments, for example bases not moving in space with the planets they're built on. DW2 has some issues remaining, but they're fairly minor in the grand scheme of things. Many of them were caught by the initial post-launch flurry of patches.

Regardless of all else, I'm really enjoying the game.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #253 on: March 19, 2022, 07:10:27 PM
I've turned off showing civilian ships as it seems to improve performance, even though my CPU, RAM, and GPU utilization is fine. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #254 on: March 20, 2022, 12:56:24 AM
^  Yeah, I've done the same. 

IIRC, it was pretty common to do that in DW:U as well.  When you have that many civilian ships running around, it's probably inevitable that it begins to take a toll on performance.