Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Distant Worlds 2  (Read 70385 times)

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #285 on: April 06, 2022, 02:05:54 AM
When I sit down and actually play DW2, I have fun with it...for a little while.  Sooner or later, however, I find myself encountering issues

Yeah, exactly. Everything seems fine when you start playing and have a look at your whole empire. But the more you zoom in and start paying attention, the more cracks start to show.

I do believe Distant Worlds 2 will get where it needs to be, eventually.

I do too, and I'm looking forward to it. It's just a shame that it feels like waiting for the game to come out again, since we've already been through that once.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #286 on: April 06, 2022, 04:12:40 PM
This was a Day 1 purchase for me. I do that rarely. So to have DW2 in this state is disappointing.

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #287 on: April 07, 2022, 12:21:19 AM
It's just a shame that it feels like waiting for the game to come out again, since we've already been through that once.

Sigh.  I can't say I disagree with you. 

I have reminded myself that with lot of games I enjoy(ed), I didn't start to actually have fun with them until months after launch, and sometimes not until after the first DLC had come out:  Stellaris, GalCiv3, Stardrive 2, and (of course) the original Distant Worlds -- just to name a few. 

That reminder is the source of comfort, as well as some of the confidence I have that DW2 will indeed get to a "good" place eventually.  But I'm still in disbelief over the game's current state. 

This was a Day 1 purchase for me. I do that rarely. So to have DW2 in this state is disappointing.

Also agreed.  Distant Worlds 2 was the first game I'd pre-ordered in over a decade -- one of the few games I've ever pre-ordered, *period*, in fact -- so for it to be in the shape it's currently in has been a major letdown. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #288 on: April 07, 2022, 12:55:13 AM
I’m hoping my happy ignorance comes from carrying no dw:u baggage - i haven’t put hours and hours on so I suspect I don’t even know what it’s not doing right

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #289 on: April 10, 2022, 10:42:56 AM
So, on the Independent Colonies issue.  I got to thinking that I would go into the game editor, and as I encountered them, I would just delete them.  Doesn't look like you can do that.  You can set them to an abandoned planet, but you cannot eliminate the population, you can only set it down to 10.

I'll have to play around with this some more.  But kind of frustrating. 

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #290 on: April 10, 2022, 11:00:23 AM
As a DW2 newcomer - what’s the issue with Indy colonies

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #291 on: April 10, 2022, 11:15:18 AM
After listening to the podcast (nice work), I was about to purchase this.

But then I read the latest in this thread and decided to wait a few months.

Good decision?

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #292 on: April 10, 2022, 11:15:51 AM
Also, what is the guide that DW2 Mike referred to--the one that recommended which AI settings to turn off when you start learning the game?

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #293 on: April 10, 2022, 11:40:04 AM
But then I read the latest in this thread and decided to wait a few months.

Good decision?

Definitely. Some of us are huge fans of the first game and really didn't want to criticise DW2, but the issues are impossible to ignore and I couldn't in good conscience recommend it to anybody yet. However, knowing the developer as we do, I think we're all pretty sure it will be the game it can be in time.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #294 on: April 10, 2022, 07:00:27 PM
As a DW2 newcomer - what’s the issue with Indy colonies

Part of it is style of play.  If you come across them, you either have to assimilate or conquer them.  I prefer a more empty sandbox.  I'm also frustrated because no matter the setting, your getting stuck with them.  I don't think I've explored more than 12 star systems, and have already come across 4 of them!

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #295 on: April 11, 2022, 05:10:08 PM
taking it bit by bit only because it feels like im standing over a huge precipice of commitment once i really get into it -

just discovered early warp and my exploration ship is heading back for retrofit, 2 more explorers in the queue

there appears to be about 4-5 light haulers hanging off the planet not doing anything - theyre set to auto, i have a mining station - should they not be hauling or are these for something else?

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #296 on: April 11, 2022, 06:19:28 PM
Hard to say without seeing, but my guess is whatever is being mined at the station (Caslon, perchance?) is below the minimum set for the station's own stocks. They'll get to it eventually.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #297 on: April 12, 2022, 05:10:40 AM
Cheers buddy - didn’t see your reply on unread posts for some reason

Aaaaaand……… surely you don’t build a mining station on every asteroid???

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #298 on: April 12, 2022, 05:40:05 AM
Not asteroids that are bunched up, because a single station can manage multiple rocks within its radius. But generally, yeah, anywhere you find something mineable you're better off mining it.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #299 on: April 12, 2022, 06:09:15 AM
@geek:  As Huw said, the automated stock settings on your mining station are probably such that your idle haulers aren't needed at this point.  Once you construct more mining stations, however, you'll them start moving material back & forth. 

And no, you (thankfully) don't need to build a mining station at every asteroid, as they can handle material from multiple asteroids.  :) 

Some of us are huge fans of the first game and really didn't want to criticise DW2, but the issues are impossible to ignore and I couldn't in good conscience recommend it to anybody yet. However, knowing the developer as we do, I think we're all pretty sure it will be the game it can be in time.

This pretty much sums up my current feelings on DW2 as well -- both the good and the bad. 

I can hardly believe I'm saying this, but I've pretty much set the game down for the time being.  I'm keeping an eye on the patches/updates, but I suspect it's going to be at least a few months -- and very possibly longer -- before the game is at a point where I can really enjoy it.  That it *will* get there, I don't doubt at all, but it's going to take some time. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike