Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Distant Worlds 2  (Read 70531 times)

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #345 on: May 02, 2022, 12:08:28 PM
Thanks UCG

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #346 on: May 02, 2022, 12:27:00 PM
No worries buddy

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #347 on: May 03, 2022, 03:00:44 PM
so the game has taken an upward swing in activity - not to say i couldnt have watched little ships going everywhere for hours on end

• Ive found a huge military graveyard with carriers and cruisers there, construction ships are racing there to beat other races to the booty but its guarded by a Gravillax so Fleet 2 is also on the way there
  • Ive colonised an independant colony of Boskarans, the cheat planet and am now in range of the one that i couldnt reach
  • Im neighbouuring the space turtles race - currently super friendly, exchanging colonists, fuel, resources
  • Ive found the Teekans that for some reason i really dislike so ill probably see to them first

all in all still loving it - no game breakers yet

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #348 on: May 03, 2022, 07:06:02 PM
Apparently in response to some comments made yesterday by folks (including myself) on Explorminate's Discord, Erik Rutins dropped in for a bit.  Here's what he had to say: 

There are some significant gameplay issues we did not spot before release, but gameplay issues are relatively easy to fix.  I'm confident we'll be able to resolve those pretty quickly whenever we have time to focus on the gameplay side.  I don't see more than 4-6 weeks of gameplay work based on the reports so far, it's just been a lower priority to date because of the critical issues on some systems with crashes and performance.   Those are my bigger concerns - the technical issues that are still causing issues on those systems (of course not on any of our systems).  We've already tried just about everything short of a major engine upgrade to fix those.  Thus, the next step there is a major engine upgrade, probably in about a couple of weeks but it's really quite concerning that these exist at all and that most can't be reproduced on our systems.  In any case, I have read the feedback here and I'm sorry many feel let down, but I completely understand.  It's disappointing to us as well as we thought we were releasing a generally solid game that would only get better post-release and in fact we delayed release twice internally just to make sure it would be solid.  It's clear in hindsight that we had some blind spots and also hadn't appropriately prioritized or fully understood some of the feedback we had received during testing.  Along with fixing game issues, we're also trying to address those blind spots for the future.  DW2 will get to a much better state, probably within a month or two, but especially for those customers experiencing the critical crash/performance issues, we're very sorry this turned into a source of frustration for them rather than entertainment.

When asked, "Are you pushing to hit zero crash and performance or is there a percentage you're ok living with?" 

I don't think it's realistic for any game that has decent sales these days to reach absolute zero given the wide variety of possible system configurations, many of which have issues that are not something we can fix.   It's clear though that right now DW2 still has issues on some systems that are fine with the vast majority of other 3D games.  We're aiming to make sure those are resolved, which will likely leave a very small percentage of systems that are either below minimum spec or have some kind of truly weird setup or conflicting software issues, but that's the case with almost any game.  That's the point though where it will transition from a very high immediate priority to a more long-term ongoing task.

Replying to the question, "Do you have any metrics for how close you are to that goal [mentioned above?" 

Some, but as much qualitative as quantitative.  Forum and e-mail and Discord feedback of course gives us a sense of how much each update has improved the situation and what major problems remain unresolved.  The automated crash reporting does give us some insight into the pace/frequency/volume and type of crashes that are at least generating logs (these have decreased very significantly with 1.0.3.7 and later).  The reporting form does the same, just selecting for those willing to send us a report.  The critical issues survey gives us some insight into the perceptions of customers with issues on what they see as the major remaining issue areas.

So my main takeaways here are: 

- The game is working much better since the 1.0.3.7 patch, at least on a technical level. 

- Their current focus is still more on fixing/patching out technical issues, including a (probable) eventual engine upgrade. 

- Therefore, focus probably won't turn towards addressing gameplay/mechanics issues for at least another few weeks.  Once it does, we're likely looking at a good couple months or so to hammer out the worst problems.  (Yes, I know he said 4-6 weeks, but we all know perfectly well it'll end up taking longer than that.) 

- Ergo, I can safely ignore DW2 until at lest August, if not later.  At this point, I think that's just as well. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #349 on: May 04, 2022, 06:42:09 AM
I mean, blind spots is an explanation I guess, although indicative of a severe lack of QC/playtesting. My usual example of refuelling (can you tell it's my biggest problem with the game?) is a perfect example; it's so horribly flawed and so easy to see, I have to wonder what they did test.

- Ergo, I can safely ignore DW2 until at lest August, if not later.  At this point, I think that's just as well.

Yeah, same here. Again: I really want to love this game. I want it to be my go-to space strategy for years.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #350 on: May 04, 2022, 06:47:59 AM
Balls - the private sector has run out of cash - it never occurred to me that mining stations would be a cherry picking exercise not a ‘build every station everywhere forever’ this and the fact that I now have 4 highly trained spies constantly stealing tech off a pirate faction that I’ve kept alive solely for this purpose - I can only assume I’m getting thru the research tree too quick - all the civ ships come back to be retro fitted and by the time they get back to their assignment it’s time to come back and be retro fitted again costing the private sector a fortune

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #351 on: May 04, 2022, 12:22:34 PM
Geek,  are you designing your ships or letting the AI do it.  Right now DW2 is kind of frustrating in that you can either allow the AI to design/upgrade all ships/bases, or you can do it yourself.  In DWU, you could pick which types of ships/bases you designed and which the AI managed.  The screenshot below is from DWU.  It's frustrating because I would like to design my own military units but allow the AI to manage the civilian designs. 

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #352 on: May 04, 2022, 03:13:34 PM
I’m designing the military ones - there’s a few tweaks I could make to the civ ones but I haven’t bothered

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #353 on: May 04, 2022, 03:58:42 PM
I've just recently started playing and haven't really dived too deeply into it.

However, according to my Steam account, the game never closes when I quit and is still RUNNING. I am at 50+ hours of playtime according to Steam, when it's actually probably 4 or 5 at most.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #354 on: May 04, 2022, 06:32:44 PM
I’m designing the military ones - there’s a few tweaks I could make to the civ ones but I haven’t bothered

So there is a way to let the AI design civilian ships and the player to design military ships.  I need to watch those videos.   :-[

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #355 on: May 04, 2022, 06:56:09 PM
I haven’t gone anywhere near the civ ones - I want to because the AI arms them and I want them just to run if there’s trouble

But so far if I research advanced tech the AI recalls them all and upgrades them without my input

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #356 on: May 04, 2022, 07:22:28 PM
I haven’t gone anywhere near the civ ones - I want to because the AI arms them and I want them just to run if there’s trouble

But so far if I research advanced tech the AI recalls them all and upgrades them without my input

Interesting.  So if you send design to manual, then the AI is automatically updating civilian ships?  I'll need to play around with that.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #357 on: May 04, 2022, 07:46:49 PM
👍👍

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #358 on: May 05, 2022, 01:11:15 PM
I just started a new game, using the 1.0.3.9 Beta Patch.  I set ship design to manual.  But when I researched Skip Drives, I don't see my civilian ships upgrading to include that tech.  And yes, I've waited a few game months.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #359 on: May 05, 2022, 02:56:37 PM
On the ship design screen where it names the model number of all the ships, and if it’s set to manual or auto design, retrofit and upgrade what does it say for each civilian model design