Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Distant Worlds 2  (Read 70456 times)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #390 on: June 12, 2022, 01:01:23 PM
Second game - just got teir 2 hyperdrives so the local area just opened up

Playing as humans again and this time didn’t bork the meeting with the ghost pirates - paid them - got the booty and the ships

I’m suffering raids from one pirate faction who I’m not paying protection to and this time round through sheer chance I’ve discovered I can capture the ships - I thought that was a research thing with tractor beams etc but nope close and board so far I’ve captured 3 frigates which is huge for my tiny fleet

Everything ok so far

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #391 on: June 12, 2022, 01:27:18 PM
I had two explorers run out of fuel while exploring neighbouring systems. Bit annoying - why didn't they come back to refuel when they reached bingo? I guess the devs expect us to always have fuel tankers on hand, which I don't have yet in my second game.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #392 on: June 12, 2022, 01:39:39 PM
Did they fly into a nebula? I’m sure there’s some kind of fuel penalty for that

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #393 on: June 16, 2022, 06:03:39 PM
Nope, just checked. No nebulas around. They just explore until they're out of fuel.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #394 on: June 17, 2022, 07:41:54 AM
So, does that mean that they are lost? No just calling out the RAC to bring a can of fuel?

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #395 on: June 17, 2022, 08:01:35 AM
Haven’t seen it happen yet - I don’t know whether they eventually recover a few drops and limp home or you need a tanker on a ‘refill’ mission

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #396 on: June 17, 2022, 08:37:16 AM
Something like the 'fuel rats' in Elite :-)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #397 on: June 17, 2022, 09:39:59 AM
Exactly that

A guy at work very nearly got me into Eve with his tales of things like the fuel rats and and damage recovery - I could listen to the stories for hours and read them as I do but I think it’s very much a one game for life thing!

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #398 on: June 17, 2022, 10:05:18 AM
So, does that mean that they are lost? No just calling out the RAC to bring a can of fuel?

When a ship runs out of fuel, it can still warp but only at 33% speed - which means it takes forever just to limp to the nearest system.

This is why I was furious with how the game used to work: a fuel tanker would warp to the crippled ship to deliver fuel, but since the supposedly empty ship could still warp, the tanker would invariably miss it and try to catch up again. Repeat ad nauseum until both ships arrive at the destination where fuel is probably waiting anyway. This effectively tied up two ships instead of one and it's absolutely baffling that the game launched with that behaviour.

Supposedly tankers are a lot more sensible now, and favour fleets instead of lone ships. I've only just got tankers up and running in my new game so I haven't tested it fully yet.

I'd prefer that ships with no fuel are simply unable to move. Not only does it make more sense, but it also means any tanker can easily assist it.

I'd further prefer that ships don't run out of fuel for no good reason. In this case my explorers are surveying systems until they're at 0%, and only then does it occur to them to go find some more fuel.

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #399 on: June 17, 2022, 10:08:45 AM
Also to add to this: these are tiny details that you only notice if you're really paying attention. If you remain at a more "zoomed-out" perspective you'll never notice this stuff, and things appear to be running smoothly. But one little thing not working properly will be multiplied by the number of "things" you have, and an apparently stable empire can in fact be crippled at its core.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #400 on: June 17, 2022, 10:10:24 AM
I think I prefer consider the jump distance and go refuel before jumping like military fleets do

Fortunately it’s very rare I’m watching from zoomed out - I’m always following a ship, a fleet a planet but I see your point

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #401 on: June 17, 2022, 02:08:12 PM
I haven't seen tankers trying to fuel a ship at warp (yet). However what I have seen multiple times is a tanker warping in to refuel a ship that's just warped to a planet to refuel. So by the time the tanker is in range the ship has fuelled anyway. An improvement, then, but definitely needs more work.

I really want "don't ask again" on the popups. I keep getting a popup to build a research station somewhere or other because of a 10% bonus to hyperdrive research. I don't want to disable suggestions in general, but I do want to disable this one because I definitely don't want to build this station yet.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #402 on: June 17, 2022, 02:55:26 PM
Never had one of those

Can you change build research to manual?

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #403 on: June 17, 2022, 04:51:21 PM
So I'd been wondering why there hadn't been any beta patches recently.  Turns out they've been working on that engine upgrade they'd mentioned previously...for which there is now a beta patch available:   

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10151&t=385109

I really want "don't ask again" on the popups. I keep getting a popup to build a research station somewhere or other because of a 10% bonus to hyperdrive research. I don't want to disable suggestions in general, but I do want to disable this one because I definitely don't want to build this station yet.

This, plus infinity. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #404 on: June 17, 2022, 05:07:51 PM
.........and beyond?