Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Shallow Waters (Working Title)  (Read 9052 times)

JohnPJones1775

• Jr. Trooper
on: December 31, 2019, 09:29:42 PM
i'm working on a combined naval/ground game. it's based on late 19th century tech and designs, not super strict (i plan on including manned kite balloons/blimps as a unit)
https://www.worldanvil.com/w/orbis-johnpjones1775
world map there

so, here's a map of the Vermillion Isles

Vermillion Island and Marsh Island

https://preview.redd.it/42umk7p442841.jpg?width=1024&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=3cca4a7c360971ddcb6e9e78bd544d2621d5687c

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 09:32:29 PM
I like the maps!  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

JohnPJones1775

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 09:41:52 PM
thanks working on the rule set...not really 100% sure where to start lol

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 07:34:11 PM
Going to drop some thought in here tomorrow. Been looking at things but not ready to comment yet. Just didn't want you thinking no one was paying attention 😀

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 10:10:03 PM
+1

What do you use for mapmaking software?

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

JohnPJones1775

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 11:20:23 PM
+1

What do you use for mapmaking software?
inkarnate
The vermillion isles was done with a free account.
I got curious what you could do with premium so paid for a premium account for a year and did the world map.

JohnPJones1775

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 05:00:13 PM
So far I am working on rules for Infantry, Blimps/Balloons, Cavalry, Wagons, and Ships ranging from small torpedo/gunboats up to a scout cruiser/avisio style ship.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 08:08:47 AM
dunno if this helps at all; stumbled across it while looking for other stuff

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3983983

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

JohnPJones1775

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 10:55:06 PM
dunno if this helps at all; stumbled across it while looking for other stuff

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3983983
doesn't help, not a flying ships game.

realistic, but not historical and definitely not steam or diesel punk is what i'm going for.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 10:58:31 PM
No probs 👍

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

JohnPJones1775

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 12:24:44 AM
Vessels will be listed in 3 classifications, which will define what depths of water each ship is capable of operating in, as well as their maximum maneuverability.

Deep Draft- Can only enter depth 3 waters, and can make a maximum turn  of 45degrees each turn.
Medium Draft- Can enter depth 2 and 3 waters, can make a maximum turn of 65degrees each turn
Shallow Draft- can enter depths 1, 2, and 3 waters, can make a turn of 90degrees each turn.

water depths should be agreed upon before the game preferably with some method of visually and physically delineating each depth.

WEAPONS
Heavy- Large naval weapons capable of only firing one round per barrel/mount a turn
Quick Fire(QF)- Medium/Minor caliber naval weapons capable of firing a few shots in quick succession.
Rapid Fire(RF)-  Crew served weapons capable of firing 4-6 rounds in rapid succession.
 examples
heavy- 5" breechloading rifle
QF- 3" rapid fire mount
RF- 47mm/37mm/.50cal rotary cannons/guns
Torpedo

should torpedoes be a one time use weapon, or should they reload after X number of turns?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 01:40:39 AM by JohnPJones1775 »

JohnPJones1775

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 05:58:57 AM
Order of Play
Deployment (first turn only)
1.Movement
2.Firing-
2a.Roll to hit
2b. Roll to penetrate(ships)
2c. Roll for HE damage(ships)

Shore Emplacements
Shore emplacements will be treated as immobile vessels, divided into 3 sizes, and 2 types.
Types- Earthworks/sandbags/timber, Concrete/Brick/Stone
Sizes- Small, Medium, Large

Small- Can hold 1 RF weapon
Medium- Can hold either  2 RF weapons or 1 QF weapon
Large- Can hold either 3 RF weapons, 2 QF weapons, or 1 Heavy weapon

Forts
A fortress will be represented as multiple shore emplacement in a game regardless of if it's phyiscally a single terrain piece or using multiple pieces of terrain on the tabletop/gaming surface.

A fortress will be no fewer than 5 emplacements, and if each emplacement is not directly connected by walls/barricades/etc, they may be no more than 5" apart from each other.
If a player destroys 3/5 of the emplacements in the fort,  they may assault the fort with infantry to begin capturing it from the opponent. (Representing either fire from the fort slacking enough to allow an assault, or the walls/barricades/etc being damaged and breached enough to allow an effective assault force to enter the fort.)
The turn after assaulting the fort, the attacking player must take a turn for each remaining emplacement(representing fighting for each emplacement individually), rolling 1D6, at which point the defender will do likewise. The player with the higher roll wins. The attacker gets 2 turns to take an emplacement by defeating the defenders. The winner may then take 2 turns to rebuild an emplacement as an Earthworks/Sandbags/Pallisade emplacement, only one emplacement can be rebuilt at a time.

JohnPJones1775

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 06:02:00 AM
Unit stats.

All fleet/army points.

Ships/Wagons/Balloons
Hull Points
Vessel type
Protection Value
Movement
Weapons-Accuracy, Penetration, Type, HE

Infantry/Infantry
Movement
Weapons
Accuracy
Melee
Abilities

Example- River gunboat Fleet Points-150

Hull Points-2
Vessel type- Shallow Draft
Protection Value- 1
Movement- 4"
Weapons-3" Gun Accuracy4, Penetration4, Type Heavy, HE
                 47mm(x2) Accuracy3, Penetration 2, Type RF
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 06:06:01 AM by JohnPJones1775 »

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #13 on: January 23, 2020, 06:23:41 AM
should torpedoes be a one time use weapon, or should they reload after X number of turns?

That brings up the larger question of ammo consumption as a whole.

Torpedoes as a "one-shot" really only works if you expect the boats to only carry one.  Otherwise, there's an inherent reload time, but you need to keep track of how many were fired.

That brings up the idea of ammo tracking as a larger concept, but I don't think you track every single round.
Depending on the length of the engagements in your scenarios, you might need to track ammo for your big guns.
I don't think you need to track for the little ones, under the assumption that a ship can probably carry enough ammo for the smaller guns to net need to track their shots.
You might need to consider if consumption of the medium guns would be an issue, but I'd track it more as "turns that you can fire" rather than specific rounds.

In any event, you probably want to at least do the math on the ammo consumption issue to see if you need to worry about rules for it.
If you don't, then just include a quick note in the rules that says "based on the length of the engagements we're playing, there's little danger of these ships running out of ammo, so we're not going to unnecessarily complicate things by adding another thing to track"

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

JohnPJones1775

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #14 on: January 23, 2020, 07:38:06 AM

That brings up the larger question of ammo consumption as a whole.

Torpedoes as a "one-shot" really only works if you expect the boats to only carry one.  Otherwise, there's an inherent reload time, but you need to keep track of how many were fired.

That brings up the idea of ammo tracking as a larger concept, but I don't think you track every single round.
Depending on the length of the engagements in your scenarios, you might need to track ammo for your big guns.
I don't think you need to track for the little ones, under the assumption that a ship can probably carry enough ammo for the smaller guns to net need to track their shots.
You might need to consider if consumption of the medium guns would be an issue, but I'd track it more as "turns that you can fire" rather than specific rounds.

In any event, you probably want to at least do the math on the ammo consumption issue to see if you need to worry about rules for it.
If you don't, then just include a quick note in the rules that says "based on the length of the engagements we're playing, there's little danger of these ships running out of ammo, so we're not going to unnecessarily complicate things by adding another thing to track"
due to the size and weight of anti-ship torpedoes i am unaware of any combat reloads of torpedo tubes, but it's a game for fun, not necessarily a simulation...but keeping torpedoes to one fish per tube helps to keep a small boat with a single torpedo tube from being massively OP.

i have no intention of tracking ammo for guns though.