Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Warlock II: The Exiled  (Read 7247 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
on: October 06, 2020, 01:10:19 AM
All right.  The game -- along with the DLC I purchased today (it's currently on sale) -- is installed.  I've downloaded & installed the Renaissance mod as well, so I believe I'm ready to roll.  My question is...what next? 

Do you guys recommend playing the vanilla game before checking out the Renaissance mod?  And if yes, do I bother playing the campaign, or go straight into sandbox mode? 

And either way, what's the general recommendation(s) for your first few moves?  Do I bother with tech/infrastructure improvements, or should I just start pumping out units right away?  How much point (if any) is there to conducting diplomacy with the other Wizards?  I kindly request your advice/input.  :nerd: 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 06:12:30 AM
I may be biased, but I found the default games to be a bit bland, but that is just me. For me, its as I said before - sandbox mode with biggest map etc, and using the mod. having said that, its worth playing vanilla first to give you a better appreciation of just how good th mod actually is.

And don't forget, you can plat it MP.................

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 04:44:15 PM
I do like Warlock and Warlock II, but had no idea this mod made such an impact. So too would the five DLCs I need to buy to take advantage of it.  :2funny:

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 05:00:22 PM
Go on, get 'em - you won't regret it  ;)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 06:20:36 PM
Thanks, Bawb!  Hopefully I'm feeling well enough later tonight to really start digging into it.  I'm honestly pretty jonesed for this.  :) 

I do like Warlock and Warlock II, but had no idea this mod made such an impact. So too would the five DLCs I need to buy to take advantage of it.  :2funny:

As I mentioned in the OP, all the DLC is currently on sale (50% off on Steam), so now is a great time to pick them up.  ;) 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 08:11:01 AM
Oh lord, I forgot the tutorial was narrated by Sean Connery's understudy.  It's too much.  :2funny: 

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 05:45:09 PM

In this case to let Bob know that the final version of Renaissance Mod 9.0 is here!

PATCH 9.0: RISE OF THE KOATLS (new content & improvements)

Spoiler: ShowHide
NOTE: While this patch should be compatible with older versions of Renaissance Mod, saved games may see anomalies with a few units (Koatl Shamans, High Koatl lord, and many ratmen units). If your saved game includes a number of these units, you may wish to start a new game.

NEW CONTENT
=============
A new branch of koatl caster units are available to all factions. The base unit, Koatl Ritualists, requires a 'Barrow' resource node to build. Additionally, all koatl units now have the 'Dragonslayer' perk {+50% damage to dragons}, allowing all units in their ranks (including koatl lords) to act as hard counter to dragons.

Similarly, ratmen units of the Monsters faction have received an overhaul in which the original units have all graduated to a higher tier. A new tier 1 creature-class ratmen unit has been added, while Ratmen Pirates now function as the tier 3 divine unit for Fervus. Combined, these changes offer additional upgrade potential to this entire line, breathing a bit more excitement into the Monsters faction.

» Ancenstral Ground (starter perk) *NEW* allows the player to begin with a Barrow resource node for a cost of '3'
» Ratman Ruffians (Monsters unit) *NEW* common fighter unit; replaces original 'Ratman Robbers' unit with similar stats, now 'creature' class; may be upgraded to 'Ratman Robbers'
» Ratman Robbers (Monsters unit) *REWORKED* advanced fighter unit; replaces original 'Ratman Pirates' unit with similar stats; has 'Coin Thief' {produces 2 gold}; may be upgraded to 'Ratman Pirates' and 'Paladins of Agrela'
» Ratman Pirates (Monsters unit) *REWORKED* elite fighter unit with Melee and Death magic damage; hits target and adjacent units; has 'Pillage' {produces 5 gold}; applies the 'Bleeding' debuff; replaces 'Koatl Shamans' as Fervus divine unit
» Koatl Ritualists (allied unit) *NEW* advanced magic unit with Elemental and Death magic damage; has 'Healing Totem' action; deals +50% damage to dragons; may be upgraded to 'Koatl Shamans'
» Kotal Shamans (allied unit) *REWORKED* elite magic unit with Elemental, Death and Life magic damage; has 'Healing Totem' and 'Kiss of Itzlacoliuhque' {death damage w/ stun} actions; deals +50% damage to dragons
» Ancestral Stones (common building) *NEW* built on 'Barrow'; allows recruitment of 'Koatl Ritualists'
» Serpentine Altar (common building) *NEW* allows recruitment of 'Koatl Shamans'; requires 'Ancestral Stones' in a tier 3 city

LORD UPDATES
==============
Due to lack of space here, click for details:
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/493257789/4932019356818491098/

UNIT UPDATES
=============
» Rats (wild/summon) base damage increased to 6, up from 5
» Wild Serpents (wild) hit points increased to 10, up from 8
» Snowy Wolfmen (wild) 'Spirit Claws' replaced with 'Frost Paws' {50% elemental damage & applies the 'Frostbite' debuff}
» Shadow Dragons (wild) base damage increased to 50, up from 45
» Shadow Dragon (summon) base damage increased to 40, up from 35
» Black Minotaurs (netural) gain 'Intimidation Aura' {-20% unit power to adjacent enemies}
» Archers of Helia (Human) base damage increased to 18, up from 16
» Beastmasters (Human) base damage increased to 24, up from 22; +2 unit support, up from +1
» Fanatics (Infernal) build time decrased to 3, down from 4
» Flayers (Infernal) movement increased to 4, up from 3; build time increased to 4, up from 3; loses 'Self Replication' ability (Mind Flayers retain this ability)
» Mind Flayers (Infernal) build time increased to 4, up from 3
» Cloned Mind Flayers (Infernal) gain 'Infinite Odds' perk {50% chance to ressurect as permanent unit upon death}; unit renamed 'Mind Flayer Clones'
» Nightstalkers (Infernal) gain 'Life Mastery' {+100% life damage}
» Crabbers (Naga) gain 'Armor Crusher' {+50% damage to armored}; upkeep increased slightly; portrait enhanced/enlarged
» Dragon Bearmen (Sylvan) 'Boulder Throw' ability replaced with 'Rock Hurl' ability (slightly lower damage)
» Druids (Sylvan) gain 'Support unit' {+1 support}
» Skeleton Veterans (Undead) may be upgraded to 'Paladins of Death' {requires Temple of Dauros}

OTHER UPDATES
===============
» Esmeralda the Gypsy (Great Mage) 'Old Orb' replaced by 'Ancestral Ground' & 'Evangelist'
» Serpent Queen Zhörea (Great Mage) 'Scholar' replaced by 'Dragon Whisperer'
» Tlalocian (Great Mage) 'Pig Pen' and 'Shocking Weapon' replaced by 'Ancestral Ground'
» Excavations (common building) takes 4 turns to build, up from 3
» Perceptive (level-up perk) XP/turn increased to +3, up from +2
» Cloaking Mists (purchased perk) now available to construct class; adds +10% spirit damage; renamed 'Cloak of Mists'
» Kraken Nest (loot location) spawns tier 3 'Deep-Water Kraken' units earlier in the game, but spawns all krakens less often
» Ratmen Hole (loot location) renamed 'Rat's Nest'; no longer produces Wild Ratmen; spawns units slightly more often
» Snake's Nest (loot location) spawns units slightly more often
» Anti-Magic Rune (spell) cost reduced to 60, down from 80
» Lightning Web (spell) cast time reduced to 0.8, down from 1
» Greater Dispel (spell) icon swaped with 'Purify' {for consistency with Dauros spells}
» Purify (spell) icon swaped with 'Greater Dispel' {for consistency with Dauros spells}
» Transmutation Coils (Infernal building) gold production increased to 8, up from 7
» Totem of Patecatl (totem) regneration reduced to 6, down from 10

FIXES & NOTES
=============
» Plaguewalker (Svart) 'Gazer Beam' ability properly hits 2 additional hexes, up from 1
» All runes and totems have been normalized: they last 3 turns and have the 'peaceful' class
» Lands of Order (spell) icon updated with Dauros icon {for consistency with other religious terraforming spells}
» Air Support (starter perk) retired
» Cloned Flayers (Infernal unit) retired
» Wild Ratmen (hostile unit) retired

------------------------------

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 06:08:54 PM
Thank you :-)

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #8 on: July 07, 2022, 09:08:45 PM
I intended, but never got around to playing the Renaissance mod. I loved the first Warlock and own the second one...so this is pretty much a no brainer, eh?

Always do what you feel is best.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #9 on: July 08, 2022, 05:02:36 AM
Whoa, awesome!  I had no idea the mod was still in active development.  Thanks, bbmike:bigthumb: 

I intended, but never got around to playing the Renaissance mod. I loved the first Warlock and own the second one...so this is pretty much a no brainer, eh?

That's my understanding too, yes.  I've not delved into the game (or the mod) sufficiently to comment myself, but literally almost everyone I know who's played/enjoyed Warlock 2 sings the Renaissance Mod's praises. 

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #10 on: July 08, 2022, 07:22:47 AM
When I checked, I find that I already have v9.0 installed. Maybe because I have it set to auto update.

If you have the game and have not played it, especially with this mod, then you are missing out.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #11 on: July 08, 2022, 09:15:27 AM
I did end up getting the DLCs and installing the mod, but I've yet to explore it fully. I have 27.7 hours in Warlock II but had forgotten about the mod I installed.  :-[

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #12 on: July 08, 2022, 09:57:54 AM
I fired up Warlock 2 last night just to check it out - there was no splash screen or indication that the Renaissance mod was installed correctly. How do I check/confirm?

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #13 on: July 08, 2022, 11:33:54 AM
In the main menu screen. A small window bottom left will show that the mod is loading. Small window top left shows mods installed.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #14 on: July 08, 2022, 12:28:33 PM
Thanks Bawb - ok so in the upper left I do have the Renaissance mod checked off so it is active and loaded, but other than that I don't see any obvious changes to the game...is that normal?