Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Blucher Army Morale Question?  (Read 4337 times)

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
on: January 31, 2021, 02:10:03 PM
Reading the Blucher rules, pg. 83, it looks like the Army Morale is supposed to be completely recalculated when reinforcements enter:

Add the number of infantry and cavalry units that the army had at the game's start to the total number of infantry and cavalry units that have arrived this far in the game. Divide this total by one-third [ok, yeah, Sam isn't a math guy], to recalculate the army's new morale.

The example that follows has a 19-unit army starting with 7 morale. "It lost a few units," but adding 6 more reinforcements results in a morale of 9.

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 02:24:40 PM
That's the general case, yes. When playing the Old Meldrum scenarios, that rule is usually suspended, and the morale per side is fixed. Playing "regular" scenarios morale should be recalculated - which is something we probably missed during last night's QB game.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 02:33:50 PM
... which is something we probably missed during last night's QB game.

Not the biggest mistake last night... ;D

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

druid8172

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 05:36:07 PM
... which is something we probably missed during last night's QB game.

sorry Barthheart but you are blowing it all out of proportion, or was that Jim who did that

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 06:00:15 PM
touché

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 03:46:05 PM
sorry Barthheart but you are blowing it all out of proportion, or was that Jim who did that

Stop it, or I'll start giggling again.

The other rule question I ran across (Can you tell I didn't read the Advanced Rules the first time through?) is the MO counts are supposed to be per-player for the multiplayer game, with the out-of-momentum test being against the highest player?

Seems like the morale rule would make for a very long game, but this would make it much shorter.

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 04:00:12 PM
Reading the Blucher rules, pg. 83, it looks like the Army Morale is supposed to be completely recalculated when reinforcements enter:

Add the number of infantry and cavalry units that the army had at the game's start to the total number of infantry and cavalry units that have arrived this far in the game. Divide this total by one-third [ok, yeah, Sam isn't a math guy], to recalculate the army's new morale.

The example that follows has a 19-unit army starting with 7 morale. "It lost a few units," but adding 6 more reinforcements results in a morale of 9.

What's the calculation for an army that's been marching for 9 hours and is still 4 miles out of range of the enemy?   :hehe:

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love