Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: 2018 International Sniper Competition  (Read 3163 times)

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
on: October 21, 2018, 02:48:17 PM

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 02:49:35 PM
Yep. And the Coast Guard finished ahead of both the Marine Sniper School instructors and the SEALs

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 03:32:37 PM
IIRC, the Coast Guard trains their snipers to disable fast-moving small boat engines at a distance while standing on a rolling cutter deck. Firing at a non-moving target that doesn't have bystanders in the way is probably a bit easier for them. With that in mind, I would have expected the FBI to do much better.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 04:42:05 PM
IIRC, the Coast Guard trains their snipers to disable fast-moving small boat engines at a distance while standing on a rolling cutter deck. Firing at a non-moving target that doesn't have bystanders in the way is probably a bit easier for them. With that in mind, I would have expected the FBI to do much better.

I would assume that the competition would be more than just shooting skills, and would have included camouflage and stalking.  I think military sniper schools grade that equally important as shooting.  I wouldn't think the CG has to worry about hiding too much, so good job for the coasties.  Same for the FBI.

I spent a couple of days and nights in the field with the snipers at Quantico when they were helping me with some R&D that I was doing.  Nice group of guys.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.