Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Current state of US DoD Wargaming  (Read 3824 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
on: February 17, 2021, 10:47:54 AM

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

rickbill

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
  • https://virtualwargamer.org
    • VWC
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 11:34:32 PM
NSWC Dahlgren's Innovation Expands Wargaming And Simulation Horizons | thebaynet.com | TheBayNet.com | Articles

not drinking the kool-aid (specifically, as it relates to trends to relying on ML for OPFOR control ) ... but, here's what they are saying ...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 11:49:12 PM by rickbill »

rickbill

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
  • https://virtualwargamer.org
    • VWC
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 11:41:30 PM
S&WG SG (sisostds.org)

Not specifically DoD run ... but I noticed this while perusing the SISO website as a part of my continuous tech research (because of SISO's discussions and contributions from leaders and innovators in the fields of  DIS, TDL, HLA, and CIGI (among others)).  Much of what goes on there has become the backbone to improving distributed training and virtual "flag" events.  Hopefully, the S&WG SG will also spawn a lot of innovation to forward wargaming.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 02:12:37 AM by rickbill »

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 07:31:42 AM
NSWC Dahlgren's Innovation Expands Wargaming And Simulation Horizons | thebaynet.com | TheBayNet.com | Articles

not drinking the kool-aid (specifically, as it relates to trends to relying on ML for OPFOR control ) ... but, here's what they are saying ...

I've worked with Dahlgren a bit, but I'm not familiar with this environment.  But within DoD, there are numerous similar environments, so many that one can't keep track of them all.

Having an environment to run the simulations is all well and good, but too often the development stops there, and the models are not validated.

S&WG SG (sisostds.org)

Not specifically DoD run ... but I noticed this while perusing the SISO website as a part of my continuous tech research (because of SISO's discussions and contributions from leaders and innovators in the fields of  DIS, TDL, HLA, and CIGI (among others)).  Much of what goes on there has become the backbone to improving distributed training and virtual "flag" events.  Hopefully, the S&WG SG will also spawn a lot of innovation to forward wargaming.

I used to be involved in SISO in the late 1990s and early 2000s (I was in Orlando leading a forum at the DIS workshop when 9-11 happened), although I've lost track of them recently.  Again, they developed the framework, but the validation part always fell short (IMO).  I'm starting to get back into this field, and I was on a telecom a week or two ago to discuss VV&A.  The were some old SISO people on the line, talking about the same issues. 

SISO were also focused on training, and not on other users, which is what I was trying to get them to do.  And again, there is a plethora of simulation environments, some of which are built on HLA, and some of which have never heard of it.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 07:40:52 AM
S&WG SG (sisostds.org)

hey look, the SISO Distributed Wargaming Panel from Connections Online!   ;)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love