Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Master of Magic remake  (Read 25777 times)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #15 on: May 14, 2021, 01:24:16 PM
I'm certain I'll end up buying it.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #16 on: May 14, 2021, 01:39:08 PM
Its a long wait until the release - just '2022'.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #17 on: May 14, 2021, 02:49:46 PM
Deity Empires until then!

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #18 on: May 14, 2021, 02:55:39 PM
Not to mention 'Dream Engines' and 'Punk Wars'

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #19 on: May 16, 2021, 09:12:47 PM
This is kinda cool...  A lot of folks have pointed out that the trailer for the remake is functionally identical to the intro for the original game, and one even fan went so far as to sync them up so you could compare/contrast. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #20 on: June 21, 2021, 05:51:56 PM
The first developer diary is up: 

http://muhagames.com/dev-diary-1-june-2021/

It gives a broad overview of what they're changing from the original game, and what will remain the same.  Obviously, everything is getting a visual & artistic upgrade, regardless of everything else.  There will be at least some other changes & improvements, however, such as the hex map and an improved AI (which the devs tacitly -- albeit humorously -- admit will be a low bar to clear). 

I'm looking forward to seeing more specifics further on, but it looks good so far.  I'm definitely digging the artwork in the screenshots. 

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #21 on: June 21, 2021, 06:13:47 PM
Yep, saw that. Looking good so far. :bigthumb:

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #22 on: August 05, 2021, 08:17:58 PM
Dev Diary #2 is up!  This one talks about events, as well as showcasing the art upgrades for some of the wizards. 

http://muhagames.com/mom-dev-diary-2-august-2021/

I like that the player will now sometimes have options in responding to certain events, allowing you to manage them to at least some degree.  Simply having to accept a negative event with no way to mitigate the outcome/consequences is frustrating. 

I'm also interested that the devs are planning an "event pack", so as to add more content to the game.  I look forward to seeing what they come up with. 

« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 08:20:44 PM by Martok »

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #23 on: August 06, 2021, 05:22:59 AM
Thanks for update

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #24 on: August 06, 2021, 09:03:06 AM
Yeah, hopes set to probably too high.  :bigthumb:

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #25 on: August 06, 2021, 09:43:05 AM
Yeah, I'm trying to keep my expectations to something approaching reasonable, but it's hard.  Muha is hitting all the right notes so far, and the game honestly looks very well done. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #26 on: September 07, 2021, 04:37:28 AM
Dev Diary #3 discusses Mercenaries and Artifacts: 

http://muhagames.com/mom-dev-diary-3-september-2021/

Mercenaries come in two types, Heroes and Champions.  Heroes are more common, while Champions are more unique, plus have higher stats and more abilities. 

One thing I like that Muha is doing with the remake is adding "extra", non-canon events, as some of these will unlock an extra choice/path if certain Mercenaries are present, while other events can result in certain Mercenaries joining you as a reward.  It strikes me as a nice touch. 

Artifacts can either be found or conjured, and your Mercenaries can be equipped with up to three of them at any given time.  At the moment, there are no restrictions for building artifacts, although the devs are considering implementing one forbidding you from applying a spell/skill that is not from your wizard's magic school.  (Which makes sense on paper, but I imagine time will tell whether this would be too restrictive or not.) 

(Attached:  Screenshots of a few of the Mercenaries from the original game, with their respective art upgrades.) 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #27 on: October 12, 2021, 07:14:35 PM
Dev Diary #4 looks at some of the races -- specifically, the inhabitants of Arcanus and Myrror: 

http://muhagames.com/mom-dev-diary-4-october-2021/

The dev diary also shows off a few work-in-progress screens for customizing your Wizard.  It looks very good so far. 

If Muha Games has put even half as much effort into the rest of the project as they have into the visual aspects (artwork, map, UI, etc.), then the MOM remake is going to be fantastic. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #28 on: November 24, 2021, 04:59:59 AM
Dev Diary #5 is (apparently) a transcript of a community Q&A they did on Discord... 

https://www.matrixgames.com/news/master-of-magic-development-diary-5-december-2021-qanda-time

To be honest, i found this one a little disappointing.  Still, there were a few interesting/worthwhile nuggets of info dropped.  In no particular order: 

-  One change/improvement Muha is looking to make versus the original MoM is increase the player's ability to customize their games at start.  Two examples cited were customizable AI difficulty, as well as the ability to enable/disable two different event "packs". 

-  There are no plans for multiplayer at this time. 

-  Apparently, some of the artwork for the Wizards is deeply unpopular amongst a certain portion of the fanbase.  (I'd heard rumors about this before, but it's the first time I've seen it openly acknowledged.  I confess I don't see the big deal, but then I never played the original, either.) 

-  Diplomacy will (pretty much have to) be almost completely revamped. 

-  No release date yet.  Beta is tentatively planned to begin early next year, however. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #29 on: December 18, 2021, 02:14:20 AM
Dev Diary #6 is out: 

http://muhagames.com/mom-dev-diary-6-december-2021/

This entry wasn't super exciting, but it was good to see that the devs are responding to community feed back, and how.  Perhaps the most visually obvious changes are in the greater use of colors in the "revised" artwork for the wizards (see following screenshot for example).  I would say the changes are fairly subtle, yet definitely still an improvement. 

Personally, however, I'm especially looking forward to the race-specific names for towns.  I'd had no idea the original game used real-world city names -- a fact that apparently a lot of fans feel hurt immersion (an opinion I'm inclined to share).  The race-specific town names should also make it easier to guess at a glance who lives there, even if you're not close enough to actually "see" the inhabitants yet. 

Obviously, these changes in & of themselves are "only" visual and don't mean that much to gameplay.  However, they can make a great deal of difference when it comes to immersing you into the game's universe.  Fingers crossed this theme continues throughout development!