Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: VICTORIA 3!  (Read 26441 times)

Boyerwulf

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #105 on: October 27, 2022, 08:54:13 AM
 As I play the game, I am starting to see a lot of problems behind the curtain, that are not initially apparent. This guy does a great job of explaining some of the problems.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #106 on: October 27, 2022, 09:47:35 AM
Ouch! That’s a pretty damning review.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #107 on: October 27, 2022, 10:00:22 AM
This might be a ‘let it cook a bit’ for me - it’s not high on the list but I was looking forward to a grand strategy economic simulator

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #108 on: October 27, 2022, 10:06:02 AM
This might be a ‘let it cook a bit’ for me - it’s not high on the list but I was looking forward to a grand strategy economic simulator

That's the way I'm leaning now too.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #109 on: October 27, 2022, 10:49:12 AM
Not all that unusual for a Paradox game. Or many others.

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #110 on: October 27, 2022, 10:56:37 AM
There was a time I’d jump straight in and ride the dlc wave as it went - I think if you miss out too much you get left behind and the game changes underneath you until you’ve no idea what’s happening

But for once there’s plenty more to play and I’m happy with my catalogue for now

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #111 on: October 27, 2022, 11:30:29 AM
... I think if you miss out too much you get left behind and the game changes underneath you until you’ve no idea what’s happening

This is exactly what happened to me and EU IV. I'm so far behind I'll never catch up. :doh:

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #112 on: October 27, 2022, 12:09:16 PM
You and me both and I lost track of ck2 so much it’ll be easier to get 3 and start again

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #113 on: October 27, 2022, 01:39:34 PM
Starting watch the review video posted above.  A couple of quick thoughts on it;

He states that there is no reason to have older military unit designs over new ones, line vs mechanized, etc.  But he's wrong.  The requirement to build maintain a mechanized unit are much higher than a squad infantry.  You may not be able to afford to build all of the mech units you want and have to maintain some squad units.  This is at least as I see it at the moment.

His next complaint is that a country like Oyo, if it develops line infantry, then it's the same stats as a US line infantry.  But that's as it should be.  Yes, each nation may have it's own variation on these units, but for the most part, they performed similar to each other.  The differences came down to leadership, training, and supplies. 

The third complaint that I've seen so far is that Oyo has the same tech tree as US.  In V2, a country like Oyo had to become a westernized nation first.  This was a double edged sword, in that it forces some countries to dig out of a deep hole from the start vs allowing even the poorest countries a start on the same field.  Keep in mind, Oyo is not going to be as tech advanced, lacks the population, and economy probably do a lot.  And, when they do develop various techs, i would they would be influenced by other countries and that it would be similar. 

Just a few thoughts so far.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #114 on: October 27, 2022, 02:15:17 PM
I suspect a lot of negativity is that it isn’t Victoria 2 but better, in much the same way that distant worlds 2 suffers from ‘but it isn’t distant universe’ with more

Perhaps they would have been better calling it colonialism emulator and avoid all the tears of the disappointed Victoria 2 fans - I haven’t played any Victoria and will eventually be coming in with no expectations which I think is probably the best way

None of the things it now does but didn’t and now should but shouldn’t is lost on my and I’m glad that I’m simply coming to a new game - when that day comes

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #115 on: October 27, 2022, 03:25:39 PM
You're most likely right UCG.  If what was stated is true with capitalists and trade, then that is pretty significant.  On the other hand, it may be like DW2, in which a lot of the same functionality is there, just implemented differently and not easy to find. 

Boyerwulf

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #116 on: October 28, 2022, 09:07:05 AM
So I finally invaded Norway in my playthrough as Sweden.

Combat is garbage first, and foremost.  So it wound up me invading with 30 battalions, and 18 conscript battalions.  Against Norway's 10/4, and Denmark joining Norway which added some more. Had no idea how many fronts there were, but found out there were two once the war started. So I hired another general once I figured this out, to fight on the other front with some of the conscripts I was raising. Thought the war would be close due to Denmark's involvement. But the Kingdom of Two Sicily's  joined me in the fight. Mind you I have no idea how their troops got to the Norwegian front, but their significant army was bigger then Norway, Sweden, and Denmark's combined. Also I never asked them for assistance. They just showed up. Only relations with them was a single trade route.  So anyways, after I invaded.... on two fronts apparently, I got to watch little bars go from left to right, or right to left indicating battle progress. Thanks to Sicily,  the bars moved in my favor. So I conquered Norway, and was left thinking this military system is even worse than I had heard.

The rest of the game is pretty much me just building buildings manually, as prices on certain goods get too high. Or if I cant produce a certain good in my buildings, I manually start an import trade route. Rinse, and repeat, over and over.

At this point I am regretting buying this, but we will see what the future holds. Till it gets better I am just going to stick with EU IV. While the combat system in EU IV is crap, it's light years ahead of this garbage.

The thing that had in the past made Vicky special, was the POP's autonomy. You actually felt like they were making decisions in growing the economy. No such thing here. You are doing everything, and frankly doing it, isn't all that exciting.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #117 on: October 28, 2022, 09:56:32 AM
^Ouch. Well at least it doesn't sound like the game plays itself.

Always do what you feel is best.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #118 on: November 02, 2022, 07:25:04 PM
Patch 1.04 has dropped

###################
# Game Balance
###################
# Economy
- Petit-Bourgeoisie now also care about government wages
- Slashing government wages will now reduce prestige
- Slashing military wages will now reduce training rate
- Debt slavery can now enslave pops up to wealth level 9, in reduced numbers for each point
of wealth
- Reduce the max number of pops enslaved each week by debt slavery from 5% to 0.5% of
state population
- Debt slavery will no longer enslave additional pops when slaves is 20% or more of the state
population
- Tweak subsistence production in decentralized nations so African pops don't start at
starvation levels
# Politics
- Increased the chance of progressive political movements appearing over the course of the
game
- Movements to Preserve now have a larger effect on the chance for a law to stall, making it
harder to pass laws opposed by powerful groups
- Political Movements for or against changes in Slavery and Government principles laws will
now be more radical
- Reduced base effect of Propagandists Intelligentsia trait from 50% to 25%
- Reduced effect of guaranteed liberties on loyalists and radicals growth
# Colonization
- Native Uprisings now get a significant bonus to their combat capabilities, mainly on the
defensive
- Reduced the chance of Native Uprisings occuring when provinces are colonized
###################
# AI
###################
# Diplomacy
- AI is now a bit less likely to back down in diplomatic plays
- AI is now a bit more likely to get involved in diplomatic plays
- Make the AI more keen on swaying countries to its side if outmatched in a diplomatic play
# War
- AI is now a lot more focused on taking land-adjacent states and conquering contiguous land
areas in general
- Increase AI aggression against Unrecognized countries after unlocking Civilizing Mission
# Colonization
- Increased AI tendency to get involved in Native Uprisings slightly
###################
# Interface
###################
# Tooltips
- Improve revenue predictions when constructing buildings to show more accurate and useful
data
###################
# Bugfixes
###################
- Flotillas now regain Morale as intended after naval battles
- Fixed a bug where capitulating in one war could cause your generals in another war to
standby
- Added additional check to prevent monuments from being targeted in tutorial
- Added a check to the Declare Interest Tutorial that was miscounting the maximum amount of
Declared Interests possible.
- Fix issue where Investment Pool could be used for disallowed building types
- Fix issue where predicted price for goods after goods substitution would sometimes show the
wrong value
- Political movements can now start organizing a revolution at 50 radicalism rather than 100
(100 is needed for the revolution to actually begin though)
- Fixed typos in several defines
- Fix pop attraction reasons tooltip CTD in Asian languages
- Fixed a CTD caused by trying to create a shipping lane between two market areas with at
least one of them being only nominally coastal due to the entire coast being impassable
- Fixed a CTD that could be triggered when clicking on the "mobilize all" button"
- Fixed late game CTD when transferring troops
- Fix CTD when hovering sell orders after having country join your market (__chkstk
(chkstk.asm: 109))
- Fix CTD in NPdxParticle2Internal::SParticlePool::GetActive
- Fix CTD in CJominiSplineNetworkGraphics::GetStripLengthInternal

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #119 on: November 03, 2022, 05:03:41 PM
Dev Diary #64 - Post-Release Plans: 

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-64-post-release-plans.1553970/

Lol.  I love how self-congratulatory he sounds, despite the numerous issues many people have with the game right now.  Classic Anward.  :ROFL: 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike