Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: VICTORIA 3!  (Read 26013 times)

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #90 on: August 25, 2022, 11:07:45 AM
Don't they know, like Sauron in his tower, The ACD sees everything?

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #91 on: August 26, 2022, 01:34:42 AM

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #92 on: August 30, 2022, 10:05:22 AM
Release Date:. October 25th.

:party:

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #93 on: August 30, 2022, 12:29:59 PM
Never played the previous versions of Vicky. What's the pacing like? At only 100 years of game time do you feel rushed? 100 years in Stellaris is not a very long time....

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #94 on: August 30, 2022, 02:55:01 PM
Never played the previous versions of Vicky. What's the pacing like? At only 100 years of game time do you feel rushed? 100 years in Stellaris is not a very long time....

Previous version was 1 day

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #95 on: August 30, 2022, 02:56:36 PM
Prices are. Base game $49.99.
Grand Edition: $79.99

Green man gaming has discounts already.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #96 on: August 30, 2022, 03:57:39 PM

Depended upon what nation you were playing.  If you were the UK, you were swamped from day 1.  If you were Japan, you kinda just twiddled your thumbs until events triggered that let you start playing in earnest.

Vicky 1 was a bit overwhelming due to the micromanagement involved with trading (and the developer's theories on how Victorian era economics worked was at serious odds with history).  Vicky 2 went the other direction and it often felt like it was playing itself most of the time.  Make a slider adjustment, watch the associated graphs to make sure the line was going in the direction you wanted, sit and watch time tick by.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #97 on: August 31, 2022, 04:40:55 AM
I was mildly interested, on the fringes you might say, but

‘imported loads more wheat and invested in intensive farming methods in the more stable north of the country. I spent years suppressing the bloody Industrialists, who spent decades on the verge of revolution, and were a systematic thorn in my side. I also started bolstering my navy, in preparation for another war, and booted the church out of government, instantly giving it about 20% more legitimacy. As soon as my peace treaty with Denmark timed out, I took over the Northern chunk of Denmark. Everything's coming up Sweden!’

Sold me - good write up at RPS from someone who whilst playing the tutorial was asked to increase GDP to 1.5 million but realised not only in game but also in real life didn’t know how to increase a nations GDP so googled it for info and saw in game the tools to do it -
Very interesting in this

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #98 on: August 31, 2022, 08:00:13 PM

No. And I say that as a certified turn-based loving dude.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #99 on: September 01, 2022, 04:46:31 AM

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #100 on: October 12, 2022, 04:56:49 AM
Preview stream featuring Prussia (actual footage begins around the 5:45 mark): 

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #101 on: October 25, 2022, 01:56:04 PM
It’s out! Who bought it?

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #102 on: October 25, 2022, 02:30:14 PM
It’s out! Who bought it?

Me!! Got it downloaded and launched for all of 5 minutes. Will dive in some more after work.

Boyerwulf

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #103 on: October 25, 2022, 03:32:01 PM
Played Sweden with the tutorial for about 15 years. Managed to bankrupt my country.  This game is extremely deep. EU IV is my bitch, but this is something on a whole different level. Will take a while to absorb everything. Basic concepts are easy to grasp, like building more buildings etc. Knowing what, and how many to build is an entirely different matter.  My head now hurts... in a good way.   

Boyerwulf

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #104 on: October 26, 2022, 08:56:41 AM
Played some more with a restart of Sweden, and better budgeting. 

Some of the same concerns as the last Vicky, in that their is not a whole lot to do. Now of course it depends on which country you are playing. As Sweden I can build only 1 or 2 buildings per year, and not a whole lot else without going into debt. My next session I am probably just going to look at all the different screens in the UI, and come up with a strategy as to the best way of digesting all the information that is given to you. Have not even come close to figuring out the military aspects yet. Really just working on the whole economic, and internal political aspects of the game so far. Eventually I will work my way up to invading Denmark and creating a unified Scandinavia...... well that is the hope.