Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: FOCUS ON.....Advanced Squad Leader (ASL)  (Read 14652 times)

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #30 on: August 03, 2021, 03:41:18 PM
Pity it didn't get some more people talking about it here.

Uh,  I like squirrels.

(Sorry, I never got into ASL. I remember wanting to get a copy of Squad Leader, but I couldn't afford it. Now, the ASL monolith scares me.)

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #31 on: August 03, 2021, 03:42:01 PM
I discovered this while looking at the video JD posted in his WaW85 thread. Looks like a good way to learn the game:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #32 on: August 03, 2021, 05:03:55 PM
Yeah, I watched the Russ Gifford videos when I first started. Neal Ullen also made a series last year that’s pretty good. IDJester also has some videos. But be careful - I notice a few errors here and there in many of these.  Nobody is perfect, but it confuse people trying to learn.

The best resource I found when I was learning was Jay Richardson’s tutorials. He has one for each of the first three SKs. I highly recommend them. They are easy to find on BGG and elsewhere.

On Discord and VASL, Stew has been holding sessions called Tactical Tuesdays, starting at 8 or 9pm Eastern time. These are interactive sessions for SK players where he usually goes through a game that’s previously been played by replaying the log file.  I think this link will get you on his Discord channel:

https://discord.gg/dEjdBYu2

Here is another Discord channel:

https://discord.gg/KcNfK7uN

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #33 on: August 03, 2021, 07:50:05 PM
Yeah, I watched the Russ Gifford videos when I first started. Neal Ullen also made a series last year that’s pretty good. IDJester also has some videos. But be careful - I notice a few errors here and there in many of these.  Nobody is perfect, but it confuse people trying to learn.

The best resource I found when I was learning was Jay Richardson’s tutorials. He has one for each of the first three SKs. I highly recommend them. They are easy to find on BGG and elsewhere.

On Discord and VASL, Stew has been holding sessions called Tactical Tuesdays, starting at 8 or 9pm Eastern time. These are interactive sessions for SK players where he usually goes through a game that’s previously been played by replaying the log file.  I think this link will get you on his Discord channel:

https://discord.gg/dEjdBYu2

Here is another Discord channel:

https://discord.gg/KcNfK7uN

I discovered this while looking at the video JD posted in his WaW85 thread. Looks like a good way to learn the game:

Thanks for this info. I've got SK1 sitting around here somewhere. I tried learning it a year or two ago but it just didn't click. Maybe one of these resources would help.

judgedredd

Reply #34 on: August 05, 2021, 08:33:11 AM
I've done it again. I've flip flopped off the game. Decided I wanted to play something I had played before and really wanted to play again - WaW '85.

So - sorry...nothing to see here (from me and further questions)

it's also those counters - they are so, so small. And with further module additions getting even more info on them, I couldn't see that this would be a series I would look to invest in. And I do like to invest in game "series" because you have the rules down pat and can hit the ground runing (probably why alot of ASL players keep on trucking).

Anyway - soz...but WaW '85 is calling. Keep up the good promotional work trailrunner  :bigthumb:

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #35 on: August 05, 2021, 09:03:13 AM
The counters are the same between the SK series and ASL. The subscripts and the like are used but a counter from SK is the exact same as those used in ASL. You do had additional counters for new equipment or units but again they read the same.

Anyway as with all gaming endeavors if a game is not fun or compelling to play then its time to move on to something that is enjoyable. I also agree with the focus on a series and do the same.

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #36 on: August 05, 2021, 09:30:10 AM
A common area of discussion for ASL players is how to store your kit.  For counters, I like Hozan containers.  The dividers can be moved, so if my needs change, I can re-arrange.  Each box holds 4 trays, so I can mix and match and only take what I need for game day.  For the most part, the OOB of one country fits into one box, sometimes with room to stare for other countries or special markers.  They are pretty easy to transport.  I use a label maker to make my labels.  The only downside to them is that the bins are just a bit small for my fingers, but that is easily solved with tweezers, and they are not cheap.  Raaco is another popular storage choice, but they can hard to find in the US and can also be expensive.  A lot of people use bead organizers, which you can get a crafts stores and is pretty cheap.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #37 on: August 05, 2021, 09:48:13 AM
Trailrunner,

What (if anything) do you do with the boxes / packaging for the games once you file away the counters (and maps?) into consolidated storage?

Do you try to make note of where they came from to be able to re-assemble each boxed set separately?  Or are you just not worried about the co-mingling at this point?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #38 on: August 05, 2021, 10:55:47 AM
Trailrunner,

What (if anything) do you do with the boxes / packaging for the games once you file away the counters (and maps?) into consolidated storage?

Do you try to make note of where they came from to be able to re-assemble each boxed set separately?  Or are you just not worried about the co-mingling at this point?

Good question.

Initially I tried to keep track of which modules the counters and maps came from, but I finally gave up.  It seemed hopeless and pointless.  If I really wanted to sort it out in the future, there are counter scans that I could use to reverse engineer all my modules, but I've told my wife that when I die, she should just sell it as a lot for $1k or something.  However, I have kept my SK stuff separate from the full ASL modules.

I keep the boxes on a shelf in my war room.  I keep some of the leftover stuff in the boxes, but not much.   Next time I'm upstairs I'll take a photo of my ASL wall.  I scan all the scenario cards, and then place the original cards in sleeves and store them in a 3 ring binder.  I like having electronic copies, but when I'm browsing for a scenario I like to page through hard copies.  There is a nice search feature on the ASL Scenario Archive website that allows you to search for whatever features you want, but I still like looking through my notebook.

The modules almost always come with some rules pages, some of which are errata, some of which are vehicle and gun notes, and some of which are specific to that module.  For a while, I'd integrate those into my master rules notebook, but when MMP published an electronic rulebook earlier this year, it was a huge step forward.  Not only is the electronic version convenient and searchable, I don't have to keep track of the various errata pages and vehicle and gun notes.  The rulebook does not yet have all the specialized modules, but it has a lot and is a great solution for everyday play.

judgedredd

Reply #39 on: August 05, 2021, 11:33:54 AM
The counters are the same between the SK series and ASL. The subscripts and the like are used but a counter from SK is the exact same as those used in ASL. You do had additional counters for new equipment or units but again they read the same.

Anyway as with all gaming endeavors if a game is not fun or compelling to play then its time to move on to something that is enjoyable. I also agree with the focus on a series and do the same.
What's the SK series?

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #40 on: August 05, 2021, 11:40:39 AM

What's the SK series?

SK = Starter Kit.  Four modules so far (1-4), plus a couple of expansion packs and one historical module (Decision at Elst).

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #41 on: August 05, 2021, 11:40:57 AM

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #42 on: August 05, 2021, 12:54:52 PM
My SK counters are in the gmt trays but my asl is still sadly in baggies. Trail runners setup is epic!

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #43 on: August 05, 2021, 01:07:46 PM
Nothing wrong with baggies. All of may original Squad Leader and expansions are in baggies… irrevocable mixed.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #44 on: August 05, 2021, 01:26:54 PM
Of course my mixed counters have been properly trimmed to have rounded corners. :)

The biggest issue is the loss of ease of pulling specific counters quickly. The biggest benefit is it all still fits into their boxes. A couple of boxes are holding counters and another stores my maps boards. I think if I was able to more regularly play the game I’d sort the counters.