Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Conquest of Elysium 5  (Read 7199 times)

Bison

• Corporal
on: August 14, 2021, 12:40:07 PM
Conquest of Elysium is a 4X roguelike game of building a fantasy army, learning magic, finding magic equipment, and conquering the planes and destroying the gods and demons who dwell there.

I might be the only one here excited for illwinter to release this game. I really enjoy the game series especially since I can run them on my laptop's integrated gpu and lounge in my lazy boy while playing. It should be priced in the $25-30 price range. 

The graphics are not overly impressive but like the earlier versions and the Dominion series of games you are not purchasing for it's graphics.  If you have never played the CoE series, do not be fooled. There is a lot of depth to the game play. None of the races or classes play the same. Every game world is procedurally generated so no two games are the same.

Ok. I am done sounding like a used car salesman. http://www.illwinter.com/coe5/

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 01:20:15 PM
I almost forgot. illwinter still produces fantastic game manuals. See CoE4 game manual for an example of what I think we can expect for CoE5.

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/403950/manuals/coe4manual.pdf?t=1620380297

Yes. 72 actual pages of good information on how to actually play the game.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 01:32:16 PM by Bison »

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 01:38:54 PM
It's a must buy for me. I liked CoE4 a lot. Strangely, I've never played any of their Dominions games. And finally, their Floorplan Generator for RPGs is awesome.  8)

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 02:07:28 PM
Dominions is a great game. However, it really shines in multiplayer which I have always found to be a huge pain to setup and manage. It uses a PBEM system which requires the host sending out individual game turns to each pretender (player). I know there are some automated programs out there but its still a pain in the backside.

As far as the single player game, I think its fun to play and learn the game. However, it suffers from the same problem IMO as Tiller Software games. A weak AI for single players which progressively gets worse as the complexity of the game builds either through turn advancement or number of units on the board.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 02:10:00 PM
I need to check out the floorplan generator. I have been looking into restarting a Fantasy Grounds RPG game and need a program to generate encounter areas.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 07:07:55 PM
I imagine it's going to be overshadowed by the release of Humankind, but I see this one dropped today as well.  Looks kind of fun. 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1606340/Conquest_of_Elysium_5/

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 11:25:22 AM
This popped up in my Steam queue and I find myself intrigued. Thank you for the manual link Bison, I've been looking for it.

Always do what you feel is best.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 10:56:24 PM
I need to purchase CoE5 still but that should be rectified in the next hour or so. :)

Gus remember that is the previous game edition rulebook but it should still cover 90% or more of the game play for COE5.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #8 on: August 19, 2021, 07:58:03 AM
One of the best things about CoE4 was having a herd of deer enter your city in the first few turns and causing you to lose the game.  ;D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #9 on: August 19, 2021, 08:20:23 AM
Having not played any of the previous games I did wonder why a recent 5 play through was called fear the deer

I have to say this does look very interesting, monsters - tick, fantasy - tick, wizards and deadly spellcasting - tick

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #10 on: August 19, 2021, 11:07:09 AM
One of the best things about CoE4 was having a herd of deer enter your city in the first few turns and causing you to lose the game.  ;D

I have lost so many games to random wandering monsters by leaving my base unguarded as I greedily try and claim resources.

Having not played any of the previous games I did wonder why a recent 5 play through was called fear the deer

I have to say this does look very interesting, monsters - tick, fantasy - tick, wizards and deadly spellcasting - tick

There is a high degree of variance and many people do not like the endless swarm of wandering monsters roaming the world.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #11 on: August 19, 2021, 11:19:49 AM
As cool as this game sounds, that giant tile based combat screen in the video looked really dreadful and definitely turned me off on the game

But still be interested in seeing what some of y'all come up with for some AARs or screenshots, but I think if I've got a limited amount of money to spend on something to play, I'm going to dump it into Humankind instead
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 12:42:21 PM by bayonetbrant »

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #12 on: August 19, 2021, 12:25:57 PM
You don't really do anything on that giant, tile based combat screen other than just watch the battle.

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #13 on: August 19, 2021, 08:15:55 PM
You don't really do anything on that giant, tile based combat screen other than just watch the battle.

I usually do a lot of swearing as the armies advance and my mages indiscriminately target both the enemy and my front ranks with AOE spells!

But Mike is correct. The most impact you have on that screen is prior to combat. Choosing spells for your mages to cast and which units are in the army. Otherwise sit back and watch. However, I believe you can now just skip the battles and have them auto-resolved.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #14 on: September 07, 2021, 03:27:14 PM
BATTLEMODE from Explorminate gives the game high marks.  Looks like it's been doing well on Steam too... 

https://explorminate.co/conquest-of-elysium-5-review/

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike