Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Bison's Tales of Hobby Crafting  (Read 57620 times)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #180 on: March 14, 2022, 03:30:35 AM
Thanks, gentlemen.

I started painting some future monsters for the campaign. A group of zombies and some giant spiders. I need to find a minotaur and a lich model. The lich can wait because the current campaign is beginning to take shape and the antagonist is Kras the Deceiver. Kras is a mage gone bad who has transformed into a lich over the ages. The minotaur is a more immediate concern because the party is traveling to investigate rumors of the Lost Library of Kras the Deceiver. I am building the library into a multiple-level maze of bookshelves and corridors. I will use the much-underutilized bookwork from Monster Manual 2 to lay waste to the collection of magical scrolls and books but want the main encounter to be with a minotaur. And because Kras is a lich, there will be a healthy dose of undead wandering the library to guard his prized scrolls and books all these many centuries later.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #181 on: March 15, 2022, 10:08:46 AM
I opened a couple of the worst cast miniatures I have ever purchased last night. The mold was clearly not filled with resin. I still painted the ghouls and will use them at some point. However, the quality is a bit disappointing.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #182 on: March 15, 2022, 10:37:33 AM
GW?

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #183 on: March 15, 2022, 12:03:31 PM
Wizkids. Most of the mini is fine but the thin casting is located on the legs where they connect to the base. It’s a flimsy model.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #184 on: March 16, 2022, 01:34:57 PM
I somehow lost the makeup brush I bought to do dry brushing. It might be time to declutter the crafting table.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #185 on: March 16, 2022, 02:27:03 PM
I used to like the GW brushes. I still have a few left including some un-used ones. The dry brushing brush I always found to be very good.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #186 on: March 16, 2022, 05:28:21 PM
It’s all about cheap ass make up brushes now for dry brushing

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #187 on: March 16, 2022, 06:13:00 PM
Mine had a bamboo handle.  Bamboo!

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #188 on: March 16, 2022, 06:32:56 PM
Brush up-manship?

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #189 on: March 16, 2022, 08:51:58 PM
Mine had a bamboo handle.  Bamboo!

😂

That’s just fancy!!

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #190 on: March 22, 2022, 07:45:57 PM
I finished up 4 zombies, 2 ghouls, and 1 druid for the AD&D campaign. I need to work on the spiders. Of course, the legs are spaced out further than the base which may cause some gluing issues. I will try to post a photo later and if I get super motivated I just might try and figure out how to post them without the image being sideways,

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #191 on: April 03, 2022, 01:05:33 AM
I got sidetracked. A magic user for another one of the kids, a mimic, and a bunch of dungeon clutter (crates, barrels, bookshelves...). I need to prime most of the dungeon terrain pieces. This means I need to get the airbrush out which is good because I also have a couple dozen Hundred Years War knights that need to be primed and base painted silver. I really should start doing micro-reviews too. Several of the decorative pieces are cheap 3D printed pieces and others are from manufacturers like Reaper or Wizkids. I also have an MDF board cut to do some more terrain. Not sure if I want to make some more forest pieces or start on some swamp pieces...

And photos. I need to post some of them too.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #192 on: April 03, 2022, 11:53:00 AM
A couple of photos of the minis I painted last week.

The zombies are very shiny. I think I must have used a gloss shade. I could put a matte finish on them but I am not sure I care too much. They look decent from an arm's length away. Besides zombies could be covered in gross slime from decomposition, I guess. Hard to see in the photo but the ghoul's legs are very, very thin. It makes the mini very flexible on the base and potentially prone to breaking.

The druid looks pretty nice but perhaps I should look at painting more details on faces. I do not really like painting eyes. It's a huge hassle to make look decent and the same is true of mouths. But again at arm's length, she looks really good.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #193 on: April 03, 2022, 12:23:27 PM
Those came out great!

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #194 on: April 03, 2022, 12:28:04 PM
100% agree with Command Tent, those figures look very good.  :notworthy: