Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Iron Curtain by MMP  (Read 6322 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
on: November 05, 2021, 09:56:18 AM
(I'm opening up threads for pretty much all the games I've gotten recently)

https://mmpgamers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=170

Iron Curtain: NATO’s Central Front, 1945-1989 is a Standard Combat Series (SCS) game covering the potential "hot" war erupting between the East and the West at the flashpoint along the intra-German border established at the close of World War II. Scenarios examine the forces available over the entire 44-year period with snapshots in 1945, 1962, 1975, 1983, and 1989. The resulting force ratios not only change with weapon and OOB evolution but as a product of the tumultuous effects of the culture.

In addition to the typical Warsaw Pact-invades-NATO situations, the game provides for three NATO offensive scenarios. The 1945 Churchill plan to continue WW2 before the Soviets could consolidate their gains (Operation UNTHINKABLE), the mishaps of 1983 that could have launched an offensive in error, and allowing the West to capitalize on the dissolution of the Warsaw Pact nations in 1989.

Every game is different because while the units set up in their peace-time housing areas, each side gets an unpredictable amount of time to "run up" before the war actually begins while tension rises. The result will allow each side to move to deployment areas (or not) as the fates decree with all combinations of total surprise to total preparedness possible between them.

Iron Curtain is a fast-paced game of what is assumed to be a month of intensive combat where both sides race to fulfill their objectives before a cease-fire ends hostilities.

All the developments of modern warfare over this epoch are included: nuclear and chemical warfare, modern near-nuclear aviation effects, airmobile forces, attack helicopters, airborne mech forces, amphibious operations, and even the ill-fated Pentomic Division structure.

I picked this one up a while ago because of course I did.

It was this or the Compass Fulda Gap game, and this one had more scenarios at a much lower price point, so I went for it.

Hadn't hit the table yet, but I'm hoping to sometime maybe over the holidays.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 10:04:23 AM
I've looked at this game several times but never pulled the trigger on it. I think it's because I already have two copies of NATO: The Next War in Europe (my beat-to-hell copy from the 80s that I played endlessly, and a less-used version with much better components). I've vacillated between this game, the new NATO as well as Fulda Gap from Compass, and a few others.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 09:21:06 PM
This one interests me, but I don't know SCS and am currently learning BCS--and I'm not smart enough to try to tackle another system right now.

Plus I have the new Compass Games NATO on my table and can't wait for the DSE of The Third World War to come in next year.

judgedredd

Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 01:42:26 AM
What does SCS and BCS stand for?

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 06:30:15 AM
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 06:33:15 AM by bayonetbrant »

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 06:34:49 AM
SCS = standard combat series.  It's a series of games from MMP with the same basic rule sets.  They are relatively light with familiar mechanisms, such as ZOCs and odd-based CRT, but with a few twists.  I view the rules as updated versions of the old AH classics, with a few improvements, but not overly complicated.  Here are the games on MMP website:

https://mmpgamers.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=11

I've played Bastogne, and have a few others in my closet. 

BCS = battalion combat series.  I have not played these, but my impression is that they are bit more complex than SCS.

https://mmpgamers.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=10

There are a few other series from MMP, such as operational combat series (OCS).

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 07:08:51 AM
BCS is supposed to be OCS down at the battalion level, so it is a little more complicated

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

judgedredd

Reply #7 on: November 08, 2021, 08:16:27 AM
BCS is supposed to be OCS down at the battalion level, so it is a little more complicated
What's OCS? Overly Complicated Series?  ;D

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #8 on: November 08, 2021, 08:17:36 AM
Officer candidate School. It's where enlisted guys go to become commissioned officers

It's also the operational combat system, one of the more complicated rules sets out there for large operational games

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

judgedredd

Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 08:24:54 AM
Officer candidate School. It's where enlisted guys go to become commissioned officers

It's also the operational combat system, one of the more complicated rules sets out there for large operational games
Noted - steer clear.

judgedredd

Reply #10 on: November 08, 2021, 08:29:59 AM
Thanks for the link TR

The Standard Combat Series (SCS) enables both experienced and beginning players to enjoy simple to play and quick to learn games. Each game is a quick-start, complete simulation: rules, a detailed color map, 280 counters, and everything else needed to recreate the campaign in question.

Jesus - Day of Days does not look simple to play and quick to learn

I have Front Toward Enemy from them which falls into their Non-Series Games

Alot of nice looking games on there.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #11 on: November 08, 2021, 09:01:23 AM

Day of Days isn't hard to learn.  The rules are pretty simple.  It's just so. frakin'. BIG

takes a while to play the full game just b/c there are so many pieces on the map, but the underlying rules aren't hard

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #12 on: November 08, 2021, 09:13:49 AM

Day of Days isn't hard to learn.  The rules are pretty simple.  It's just so. frakin'. BIG

takes a while to play the full game just b/c there are so many pieces on the map, but the underlying rules aren't hard

What Brant said. There are 8 pages of Series rules and then another 8 pages of game rules for Day of Days. It’s dead easy to learn, but a shit ton of counters on the map. Lots of replayability, and lots to think about while playing but it really is a “big, dumb monster”. And great fun to play.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

judgedredd

Reply #13 on: November 08, 2021, 01:03:14 PM

Gotcha.

judgedredd

Reply #14 on: November 08, 2021, 01:05:30 PM
I had eyed Day of Days when one of you started an AAR. But I want sure about the layout.

I know you can play with all the maps out...but do you have to?