Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Final Theory  (Read 2244 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
on: November 30, 2021, 06:46:31 PM
Don't know if anyone else has tried this one.  It's another one I keep meaning to dive back into... 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/894630/Final_Theory/

The devs call Final Theory a 4x "lite" game, which I'd say is a pretty accurate description:  Empire management is both simple and streamlined, with the focus being on fleet movement and tactical combat (turn-based).  Games tend to be fast-paced, partially because there is no real diplomacy to speak of.  Battles, ship building, and fleet movement are all pretty interesting IMO. 

The devs have released one DLC so far (The Royal Navy), and have just announced they're working on three more (the Syndicate, Colonial, and Federal Navies).  I'm not sure it's worth paying that much just for new ship-sets (though granted, they do come with their own abilities & features), but either way it's nice to see a 4x that is both doing something a bit different, and apparently doing well enough to making multiple DLC's. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 10:55:52 AM
It's on my wishlist but didn't have the time to check it out yet. Is it fun/worth?

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 06:58:02 PM
It's on my wishlist but didn't have the time to check it out yet. Is it fun/worth?

As is usually the case, the answer is "it depends".  :P  The quicker pace and emphasis on war & combat has a certain appeal, but the thin exploration mechanics and minimal empire management (combined with the aforementioned lack of diplomacy) will be a turn-off to some. 

Knowing how your tastes run (not dissimilar to my own), I'd say get it, but not until it's on sale. 

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 03:30:43 AM
Thanks. So i guess you like it?

Edit. Just see that it's already in my library  :ROFL:  Just have to install it.  :Loser:

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 03:04:21 PM
Heh.  Isn't that the way, though?  ;D 

Personally, I doubt it's a game I'll ever become seriously engrossed in, but it's definitely one I can see myself enjoying for an hour or two now & then.  I don't think Final Theory is a terribly deep experience, but then, it's pretty clearly not intended to be.  The game does seem to be well-made, and has pretty decent production values (especially for what appears to be a small (one man?) team).