Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: The 2022 Suggestion Box  (Read 9123 times)

Metaldog

• Sergeant
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #15 on: January 28, 2022, 12:58:46 PM
For protection.  From who and what?  Only you can decide :)

Lots of maps is a good thing - Panzerde

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #16 on: January 28, 2022, 01:38:05 PM
Stop asking awkward questions and slurp yer gruel.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #17 on: January 28, 2022, 03:16:29 PM
Stop asking awkward questions and slurp yer gruel.

Wait, you guys get gruel? I'm lucky to get a piece of stale bread

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #18 on: January 28, 2022, 03:44:25 PM
You get stale bread? I have to walk uphill in the snow (both ways) for whatever crumbs are left in the bag!

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #19 on: January 28, 2022, 04:00:12 PM
Crumbs! Crumbs! We used to dream of crumbs.................

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #20 on: January 28, 2022, 06:28:54 PM
You get stale bread? I have to walk uphill in the snow (both ways) for whatever crumbs are left in the bag!

Luxury!

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #21 on: January 28, 2022, 11:11:22 PM
Steelie gets a bag!? And crumbs?! All I ever got here was a nice Hawaiian Punch once.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #22 on: January 29, 2022, 03:11:16 PM
Obligatory visual:

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

judgedredd

Reply #23 on: June 21, 2022, 04:13:55 PM
One thing I'd like to see is more AARs.

They are time consuming - so something like what I did recently would be nice - just to show off components and gameplay/mechanics would be good.

Of course that's not something you could do different here - there's already an AAR section. Maybe some encouragement for people to do some.

Apart from that, I can't think of anything that might spruce the place up tbh. I think it's pretty well covered and I know you don't get much credit for it - but the Tuesday News Days and the Unboxings and the work you put in are very welcome.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #24 on: June 21, 2022, 04:21:29 PM
I agree about the AAR's. I'm as guilty as anyone else at not doing as many as I could.

One shall try harder!

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #25 on: June 21, 2022, 05:54:09 PM
I also agree about AARs. The one thing I would like to see, though, is people actually replying to the AAR as it goes along. It's discouraging to put that time and energy into one and not get any feedback or comments on it.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #26 on: June 22, 2022, 06:29:04 AM
Agreed  :bigthumb: I think it would encourage people to do more AAR's if there was more interest shown.

judgedredd

Reply #27 on: June 22, 2022, 08:26:53 AM
I agree. I don't do them for the plaudits or to think I'm special. I do them to help people understand the mechanics and to try and show the joy the game brings.

It can be a lonely place to post. It is disheartening. Tolstoi done his best with my latest bless him.

Maybe there's something we could do to make them more engaging? Writing a lot of text and throwing up some images might be ok for some. Perhaps others might engage more if they were kind of story driven, or maybe if there's less "mechanic" in it and just more gameplay.

When I do them I try to show the mechanics because after all, you might like a write-up of a game that's made to sound like a story, but you might not like the mechanics of said game.

I don't know the answer tbh. It can be a lonely place...I know that.

Also though - I notice the same thing happens in the Tuesday News Day and unboxing articles/threads. Not even a thank you more often than not.

Ultimately, we can do better to support everyone here I guess.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #28 on: June 22, 2022, 09:11:22 AM
I find all aars very interesting, I have written many - I’m also guilty of not contributing to others simply because I’ve nothing to say other than hooray or bravo and that seems so mundane in the grand scheme of things it’s easier not to - it’s certainly not ignorance or disinterest

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #29 on: June 22, 2022, 09:16:42 AM
I've had an idea for an AAR, ever since I did that Silent Victory one over at The Other SiteTM, which would involve multiple games and characters that are in some cases, related. Or, a game within a game, too.

I mapped out about 30 games to cover WW1 and WW2, and perhaps other conflicts outside of this, as a way of telling a story of multiple generations. It would not only talk of how the game plays, but would read much like a story in the vein of Wouk's 'War and Remembrance.' Sort of an epic-level AAR spanning multiple games and publishers.

I'd already played a campaign of Beneath the Med, notating dates and such. I intend to do that with other games, and then align everything as needed. It would jump around a bit, so I think it would need to deploy in two ways - one, as individual AARs for each game, and two, the epic itself in a large PDF-like document. The only issue is, I'm not sure anyone would really want to spend the effort to read it. This is honestly more for my own need to satisfy a craving for creativity, and I'm thinking if anyone gets any kind of interest or satisfaction out of it themselves, then so much the better.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)