Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: A Bulge Too Far.  (Read 6488 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
on: December 30, 2021, 06:45:55 AM
And no, I'm not referring to all that turkey, Christmas pudding and mince pies that I've eaten.............

I've long had an interest in the Ardennes Offensive and have extensively read about it and gamed it, and long ago came to the conclusion that single map, divisional size games on the subject just are not able to depict the battle in a meaningful way.

Recently, I was given a copy of 'Battle of the Bulge' the first game from Compass in their 'WWII Commander' series, and this is a single map, area movement game with mainly division size units. It uses a pretty simple impulse system and is very easy to learn, and although it has one-or-two interesting aspects, I found it to be a very dull and uninteresting product.

The mounted map is ok albeit a little bland, and although it depicts a very basic road nett, and some of the major towns and other significant features,  the scale results in the omission of all those little towns and villages that are an important feature of the region and played such a large part in the battle.

The unit counters are, frankly, boring. Black silhouettes on a coloured background may be fine for some, but I found them to be very poorly designed. In addition, the units all have a strange grey 'ghosted' version of the unit insignia which does nothing to enhance the visual appeal at all. Adding the badge in colour would have gone a long way to adding a bit of interest to the game.

I also found it a bit odd that they should class the US Cav units as 'Mechanised Infantry' and why correctly label Panzer Divisions as such but then label Panzer Grenadier Division  Mechanised Infantry? Yes, alright, technically I know that's what they were, but at least refer to them correctly. This may seem like rivet-counting and nit-picking, but I found it to be annoying and...amateurish,

What proved to be a real game killer to me was that after several plays I found that it was pretty much impossible for the German player to NOT take St Vith early on the 16th December. Since each 'impulse' represents only a very short space of time, and there are many such impulses in a turn, then the German player would have to either be daft or do nothing at all to not get a panzer div into an unoccupied St Vith 'area' almost at the start of the game. When you consider that in reality the forces there held on until the 21st December, and the defence of the town caused a significant disruption to the German plan, then to my mind, there is a very real design fault somewhere.

I fully accept that these views are mine alone and others may well disagree with them. As a very easy to play game with little real reference to the actual battle, then fine, it may provide a couple of hours of entertainment, but if you are looking for a serious approach to the subject, then I would advise that you look elsewhere.
Certainly, if the games BGG forums are anything to go by, there are people who think highly of the game, but I aint one of them.

As a parting shot, I also felt that the production values of the game, despite the mounted board and large counters, were not up to the sort of standard that you would expect from Compass Games. Again, I emphasise that these are my views and mine alone, and others may well disagree, which is fine.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 03:57:07 PM by bob48 »

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 08:03:39 AM
The unit counters are, frankly, boring. Black silhouettes on a coloured background may be fine for some, but I found them to be very poorly designed. In addition, the units all have a strange grey 'ghosted' version of the unit insignia which does nothing to enhance the visual appeal at all. Adding the bade in colour would have gone a long way to adding a bit of interest to the game.

All good points; this one is in particular (IMO anyway). I'm not a fan of silhouettes on my counters either as it looks amateurish and unimaginative. I own maybe one game that does this.

The map on this one is area movement, I think. Not a huge fan of that either, but it's not nearly the negative IMO as silhouettes on counters, as long as the art is decent.

And I'm with you on the 'mechanized infantry/Panzer grenadier' thing too.

I've looked at this one a couple of times but have enough Bulge games to where something would really need to add a lot to make me want to buy it, and this one just doesn't do that. The only other one on my radar is Enemy Action Ardennes.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

judgedredd

Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 09:09:05 AM
Yeah - I wrote about this back in October
https://www.armchairdragoons.com/forum/index.php?topic=169.msg79680#msg79680

I was initially enamoured with it's ease of play - but in the end it got boring very quickly and I concur with most of bob's post. I'm surprised at it's high score on BGG (which was a reason for purchase - I wanted something light to dive into for such a complex battle). It was far too light for me. I played it twice (maybe 3 times)

I've read a couple of books on the subject - but alas nothing ever sticks in my head now so it's never easy for me to say when a game replicates the battle in any real way. Unit dispositions, units present even, breakthroughs made, defences held - all things that I never recall.

It struck me as a game I would've loved to play with my brother back when we were in our early teens. It's very easy to learn and I would imagine would keep a couple of teenagers uneducated in the battle busy for a few plays.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 09:13:04 AM
Yikes. What's currently considered the best Battle of the Bulge games?

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 09:24:02 AM
For what it’s worth, this game was originally designed and released as an iPad game. I have it and it’s a fun small Bulge game, and I don’t like Bulge games.

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/battle-of-the-bulge/id521833787

It is very high level and abstract as it was designed to be fast playing.

I never did think it would translate well into a board game when I heard that was going to happen.

Been a while since I played but I’m sure the Germans could not take St. vita on the first turn, so maybe you’ve got a rule wrong somewhere Bob.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 09:49:23 AM
I thought that looked a little familiar. I had that app and played it years ago, but found it impossible to make virtually any progress.

There was another version that dealt with the Battle of Moscow, which I found to be much easier to win.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 09:53:34 AM
I still have the Bulge one on my iPad and do play occasionally. It’s harder than it looks to win as either side.

I had the Russian front one too but I found it to be not as much fun…YMMV.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 11:10:26 AM
For what it’s worth, this game was originally designed and released as an iPad game. I have it and it’s a fun small Bulge game, and I don’t like Bulge games.

I never did think it would translate well into a board game when I heard that was going to happen.

Been a while since I played but I’m sure the Germans could not take St. vita on the first turn, so maybe you’ve got a rule wrong somewhere Bob.

Vance, I can assure you that I have not got a rule wrong. I'll give you a game on Vassal if you want :-) I may even play it out and post here to demonstrate what I am saying......

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2774970/st-vith
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 12:16:01 PM by bob48 »

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 11:32:39 AM
Yikes. What's currently considered the best Battle of the Bulge games?

Much depends on how much room you have and how much detail you want. For me, the best one is 'Bitter Woods' although 'Ardennes '44' is also very good. Both have 2 maps and are basically regimental scale. If you can find it, the old 'Ardennes' SCS game from MMP is good and again is a similar scale to the other 2 games mentioned.

Watch am Rhine by SPI ( and now Decision Games) is a 4 map battalion level game, and one of the original 'monsters' I played this a lot, back in the day.
Even bigger is 'A time for Trumpets' which I think is 5 maps and a huge number of counters.

I have played some smaller scenario's  from 'Last Blitzkrieg' which is one of MMP's games from the BCS series. This is a very good game indeed but takes a bit more learning.

Obviously there are a few others out there, but those are the ones which spring to mind.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #9 on: December 30, 2021, 12:40:25 PM

Vance, I can assure you that I have not got a rule wrong. I'll give you a game on Vassal if you want :-) I may even play it out and post here to demonstrate what I am saying......

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2774970/st-vith

Hmmm… that BGG post seems to agree with me…  ;)
I’d love to have a game with you on VASSAL. We’ll make it a spectacle here for all to see.  :bigthumb:

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #10 on: December 30, 2021, 12:42:56 PM
Actually, the BGG post agrees with me.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #11 on: December 30, 2021, 12:47:22 PM
So, when do we play?  :)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #12 on: December 30, 2021, 12:49:16 PM
Thanks, Bob. I'll keep those in mind.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #13 on: December 30, 2021, 01:38:27 PM
So, when do we play?  :)

Install the mod, download the rules and name yer time :-)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #14 on: January 13, 2022, 04:00:48 PM
Nudge, nudge, Vance. Or have you gone into a long Canadian hibernation?