Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Enemy Action:Ardennes  (Read 4563 times)

judgedredd

on: January 08, 2022, 03:58:34 PM
This didn't have a thread of it's own - much to my regret.

I really do wish I'd done an AAR for it - but it would've be so time consuming I decided not to. Had I, I think I would've been able to show you gentlemen the difficulties the game presents for the German commander.

Hopefully I will either start again and do an AAR or, more likely, I'll do a front page write up for it. It really deserves some attention.

This is where I am on the 22nd December (turn 7 of a 14 day campaign).

6th Panzer Army is finding it slow going. The line has extended in the north where 1SS and LXVII Corps are pushing the US V Corps back - slowly - oh so slowly. LXVII and IISS Corps made reasonable progress on the southern flank of 6 Panzer Army, but have met stiffening resistance from the Allies in the form of XVII and VII Corps.

5th Panzer Army had initially made excellent ground with their XLVII Corps but LVIII Corps - meant to cover their flank - did not keep up and have been halted for more than a day.

7th Panzer Army made little progress. The LXXX and LXXXV Corps have decided to get bogged down in combat rather than manoeuvre.

The result is a severely stalled thrust through the Allied units. And now the British XXX Corps have organised and awaiting orders. I fear all is lost.

Rekim

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 05:32:16 PM
I desperately need to get this back on the table some time. The one game I played of it was fun and left a good impression. I wonder how challenging it would be to play as the Allies.

I've also had my eye on Enemy Action: Kharkov, which is scheduled for release in March, but have really slowed down with playing solitaire games in recent years. This series supports 2-player head to head play as well, which helps, but probably not enough to make up for the price of shipping these days.

judgedredd

Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 04:12:34 AM
Yeah - my game has been very, very enjoyable - but frustrating now as the Germans. I seem to be just hunkering down, particularly in the centre. I doubt I'll meet the victory requirements for the 24th and so my suffering will be over.

I do have 7VPs within close proximity to the IISS - if they can shift the Allied units ahead of them.

It's my own fault. I've been focussing too much on clearing the enemy rather than focussing, creating a hole and forcing a way through. If you cut supply, they are forbidden to attack so you don't necessarily leave your flanks vulnerable.

The cost of the game is significant - but I was getting 2 games for that (I don't play 2 player). However I could even play the 2 player and just take both sides as I do with other non-solo games which means I get 3 games for the price. And per game (never mind per hour of gaming), that's a whole lot of enjoyment for £130.

judgedredd

Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 03:41:07 PM
I swear - this damn game can be infuriating. I'm not sure the chit pulls are any worse than dice rolls - but I just get some god awful damage chits. I'm watching a video where a guy is being really lucky in most of his combats...mine seem to go very poorly.

This here...8 units from 1SS attacking a 3 Allied unit stack (pics 1 and 2). Minimum chit pull (defender determines) is 4 (two Allied units with 2 steps each and the bracketed unit does not get a chit) and maximum chit pull (determined by the attacker) is 10 (1 chit for each unit, 1 chit for elite units being involved and 1 chit for the unit with 3 steps).

I pull 10 chits (pic 3) and this is what I get...3 hits on the defender cancelled by the -4 negative hits and 4 hits on my units!! How can such a bad draw even be possible! (the pic only shows 7 chits because 3 were not applicable to the situation)

Dammit

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 03:43:21 PM
c'est la guerre  ;D

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 03:49:04 PM
Aye.

I should be smashing my way along up north but because, at most, I'm pushing them back one hex at a time I just can't get any movement.

I think I started bad. I was attacking on a broad front as opposed to punching a hole and pouring through.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 03:52:05 PM
In reality, the Northern shoulder held out and stopped 'em cold.

judgedredd

Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 04:10:10 PM
Well the game's ****ing clever  ;D

judgedredd

Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 05:33:04 PM
And now another attack!!!

A stack of two Allied units for minimum chit draw of 4 and 3 stacks of German units (7 in total) for a total chit draw of 9 (7 for the units, 1 for the unit with 3 steps and 1 for the Assault Coordination Combat Tactic (allows all units around the defender to attack regardless of unit))

I pull 9 chits (3 of which don't apply) and this is the result - 4 hits on the attacking units and 1 on the defender with 2 saves for the defender. The Allies pulled an Airpower card for their Combat Tactic which caused 3 of those hits!

judgedredd

Reply #9 on: January 15, 2022, 12:07:29 PM
I was going to do an AAR for this game but I just can't. I started and it just got so intense. There's so much explaining required for even the smallest of tasks that it was going to take forever.

I could've done a non detailed AAR - but what I really wanted to do was show off the mechanics. It would be much better done in video mode - so here you are (it's not me)

Grim.Reaper

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #10 on: January 15, 2022, 01:44:10 PM
I bought this thing because of you, better be good:)

judgedredd

Reply #11 on: January 15, 2022, 04:30:54 PM
I love it. It's complicated, but it's pretty gripping - at least the German solo game.

I've started a new one to try and a) do better and b) implement the rules better... even though I was wanting to shift focus onto a small unit action game

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #12 on: January 15, 2022, 04:35:03 PM
I've enjoyed reading about it. It has got an interesting system.

................if you want a small unit tac game, then 'Assault - red Horizon 41' fits the bill nicely  ;)

Grim.Reaper

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #13 on: January 15, 2022, 04:36:22 PM
Had my eye on it for awhile, this pushed me over the edge….

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #14 on: January 15, 2022, 04:46:16 PM
I bought this thing because of you, better be good:)

hey!  'bout time you showed up!  :rockon:

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love