Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Twilight Struggle - that’s it’s name!!!!  (Read 3028 times)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
on: May 20, 2023, 02:17:58 PM
Brants post reminded me we had a game of this running at ye olde site and I was really enjoying it and now I’m launching too many nukes at BH in natos nightmare my Cold War juices are running

Can anyone recommend the PC version - I would probably play a few games ai games before launching myself into the online world

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2023, 03:33:16 PM
Brants post reminded me we had a game of this running at ye olde site and I was really enjoying it and now I’m launching too many nukes at BH in natos nightmare my Cold War juices are running

Can anyone recommend the PC version - I would probably play a few games ai games before launching myself into the online world

Are you talking about TS?  There's a digital version of it.

It's loosely based on the 80s-era game Balance of Power, but, y'know... playable  (and that's not me pulling it out of my ass; that's a comment direct from Jason Matthews when he & I were talking at GAMA Expo)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2023, 10:27:17 PM
Hey hey hey now,

Balance of Power was FUN. I had zero idea what I was doing but loved messing things up globally. ;D

I think there were a few editions of it...

I think there was another version that dealt with running a fledgling country in Central America, too...Hidden Agenda. I played that one a LOT more on the PC in the back room of the Babbage's where I worked.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2023, 01:49:11 AM

It's loosely based on the 80s-era game Balance of Power, but, y'know... playable  (and that's not me pulling it out of my ass; that's a comment direct from Jason Matthews when he & I were talking at GAMA Expo)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/406290/Twilight_Struggle/

I am - this one

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2023, 06:56:15 AM

https://store.steampowered.com/app/406290/Twilight_Struggle/

I am - this one

It plays just like the board game. The AI is passable for learning the riles and the cards. I have and have played a couple of times.
I find it fun and interesting but I suck at it because I can’t memorize the cards. I’ve found most good players of the game have done this and they can tell what’s going to happen when.

Card memory is the one thing that I don’t like about all of the COIN games and some others. If I can’t remember what cards are out there I can’t effectively plan ahead.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners