Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Great Battles of the American Civil War (GBACW)  (Read 9261 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
on: May 29, 2019, 05:01:41 PM
My first introduction to the ACW was via the S&T magazine game (S&T N0.67), which was, I think, the first in the GBACW series; 'Kernstown', published in 1978.

This began an interest in the subject that has endured and fascinated me for many years, and I have gamed and it in both mini's and board games and read countless books on the subject.

The current iteration of the series, as now published by GMT see's some fairly significant changes to the core rules and some added complexity. As you would expect, the graphics of all the components are a great improvement over the original games, and are of the quality that we have come to expect from GMT, although I wish the counters had been bigger'n 1/2", but obviously, this would have meant bigger maps.

Twin Peaks covers the battles of Cedar Mountain and South Mountain and has one back-printed map, which is handy for me as I currently do not have room for anything much larger.

I hope to get it on the table this weekend following which I'll post some impressions of gameplay. Oh, and there are Vassal mods for both battles.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'