Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Saturday Night Fights -- "Capt. Funn''s Whimsy" (Sharp Practice)  (Read 15709 times)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
I f*92ing hate pollen season.  :tickedoff:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Played same map and scenario with Vance.  Different deployment point, however, made for radically different game.

Five hour push to a finish, but I had an awesome time.  Thanks to Vance and everybody who stopped by.

Oh, and Capt. Funn pulled this one out!

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Great game last night(this morning)!  :bigthumb:

Fun system. Who new that there was tactical skirmish combat in Nappy times....

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

JasonPratt

• Lancer
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
I f*92ing hate pollen season.  :tickedoff:

Better this morning, since a cold front and high pressure are squeezing through. But here in West Tennessee, home of all allergies, our motto is, IT'S ALWAYS ALLERGY SEASON!  :waah:

All hail to Barthheart for pulling out a win on a reload of the system! Good Lord, five hours... my allergy headache literally could even think about that.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
All hail to Barthheart for pulling out a win on a reload of the system! Good Lord, five hours... my allergy headache literally could even think about that.

Ummm… no I was playing the French...  :Loser: ... who for some reason have not mastered proper use of the musket in this game.  :idiot2:

The 5 hours actually flowed by very well... though I was quite tired when the dog wanted to be fed at 6 am.... Once we had most of the rules down the game moved quite quickly with little down time.

JasonPratt

• Lancer
Ah -- yes, okay, looking back, Cyrano didn't say who played what, only that Funn won this time.  :-[

Perhaps relatedly, where's the video link at?  :nerd:

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler

Still can’t have a rational conversation about the controlled volley thing.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Again fun system. The morale rack is an important thing. As the battle started not much was happening as we maneuvered and took some shots at each other.

But as the battle went on and casualties started to mount, units became more fragile and prone to be affected by shock values mounting.

Then when my morale track went into the red and I started loosing Action flags I was really restricted in what I could do. And then it went south in a hurry....  :(

I should have done like Jim did earlier and joined my overall commander's troops with the troops inside the fence, with Capt. Poopy Pants, to force the spreading out of the shot effects. Smart move by Jim and I should have acted the same... but was counting on my flankers to rake his hoard... but I started losing flags and ability to activate...

I hold Lt. Clouseau(?)(Capt. Poopy Pants) for our loss. He stepped in dog doo, random event (Really!) right near the start of the game, causing him to lose his ability to act freely.
I take some responsibility too as I should have had my leader join with his troops immediately at that point.

Great fun.  :bigthumb:

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
I've become a bit obsessed with "Sharp Practice 2", especially given the breath of options available.

It covers the entire BP period, but even in the Napoleonic there are national characteristics sheets out there for, I think,  a dozen nations now spanning the whole 1794-1815 period.

And I'm still learning the rules, honestly.

Haven't played with either cavalry or artillery yet...the latter strikes me as ghastly.

While it didn't affect the outcome much (at all) the guards cannot join a formation with the line infantry.  The lights can join the line only as a "skirmish screen".

Also,  I don't believe your unit merely being taken off at the end would have cost you the last point of morale...not that the outcome wasn't a foregone conclusion...

You gave a VERY sporting game and certainly impressed on me the value of fisticuffs in the right situation.  That is a particularly nasty system.

JasonPratt

• Lancer
So, are there any plans for Easter Weekend?

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Saturday night I'm busy with dinner with friends... but I do have Friday and Monday off....  :D

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
I could make BOTH Friday and Saturday happen.

Vance (and anybody else) care to try out my 1809 Austrian set?  It's Austrians vs. Bavarians for Moosburg.

Jason and I still must finish Capt. Funn's caper...

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Welp... turns out that Saturday night is now a better bet than Friday. Our dinner reservations are only good until 1930EST so I should be home by 2000 or minutes there after.

So yeah bring on Austrians vs Bavarians!