Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Saturday Night Fights -- "The Smell of Gunpowder and the Sound of Iron Balls"  (Read 14797 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Good fight last night.  Looked early on like the British were going to run away with it, but the Dutch got a few good licks of their own in, including one of the merchantmen. 

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Capn Darwin

• Trooper
  • Rocket Scientist and Game Designer
Caught some of the action last night  looked like a good time and a good battle on the high seas.

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Good fight last night.  Looked early on like the British were going to run away with it, but the Dutch got a few good licks of their own in, including one of the merchantmen.

If only Velker was rolling for you!

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant

If only Velker was rolling for you!

Yep, I blame him totally.  The plan was perfect, the execution by the officers and men was poor!   :D

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
OJ said something last night that really hit me:  we can always play the more complicated games, but games like "Fighting Sail" are a great introduction to those that perhaps don't know just how much fun tabletop miniatures can be.

I'm going to try and remember that going forward as we pick other games and system.

Thanks to those that came to play as well as those that hurled abuse...I mean stopped in.  It really was a close game to the end.

This, of course and as ever, leaves me wondering what's for afters.  My present thought is to try another Age of Sail game, same system, and re-fight the Battle of the Nile.

I also, however, have:

Sharp Practice 2: 1809

Isandlwana (Although as Vance pointed out last night, that's going to take some commitment from folks to do right).

"What a Tanker!":  I, at some point, must demand Vance defend his title at Barkmann's Corner.

A battle that looks a lot like Omdurman ("Men Who Would Be Kings")

Thoughts?

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
What is this "fun" you speak of?

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
This suffering, but through the lens of a Cenobite.

[INSERT PINHEAD .JPEG]

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Thanks for the clarification  :bigthumb:

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
OJ said something last night that really hit me:  we can always play the more complicated games, but games like "Fighting Sail" are a great introduction to those that perhaps don't know just how much fun tabletop miniatures can be.

I'm going to try and remember that going forward as we pick other games and system.

Thanks to those that came to play as well as those that hurled abuse...I mean stopped in.  It really was a close game to the end.

This, of course and as ever, leaves me wondering what's for afters.  My present thought is to try another Age of Sail game, same system, and re-fight the Battle of the Nile.

I also, however, have:

Sharp Practice 2: 1809

Isandlwana (Although as Vance pointed out last night, that's going to take some commitment from folks to do right).

"What a Tanker!":  I, at some point, must demand Vance defend his title at Barkmann's Corner.

A battle that looks a lot like Omdurman ("Men Who Would Be Kings")

Thoughts?

I use games to introduce me to points in history that I didn't know anything about or knew very little about (or what I did know wasn't all that accurate).  So shorter games that don't require you to have a couple of years experience on a sailing ship meets my need to learn new things about our past.  That's why I like what we're doing with SNF.

I'm not opposed to doing something that will take longer and/or is more complicated.  Isandlwana over the course of several Saturdays do to it's size wouldn't be to bad.  I wouldn't even be opposed to doing a battle like that every other Saturday.  If we want to try more complicated games, like Der Weltkrieg, Next War games, etc, we may want to think about a different format than SNF's. 

Just my ramblings. 

JasonPratt

• Lancer
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
I literally forgot it was Saturday night.

By which I mean, on Saturday night I thought I was already in Sunday night.

Probably indicative of my mental exhaustion, so just as well I suppose. But a troubling senior moment for someone who isn't even 49 yet...  :-[

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
All right.

Velker's next play -- "Annie" for those playing the home game -- opens Thursday and runs through the weekend.

I will be going on Saturday.

Can we have the far more alliterative FRIDAY Night Fights for one week?

Would anyone be there?

Would those someones want to play anything in particular?

My Omdurman set for "The Men Who Would Be Kings" is now done :).

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
I will have to check with She Who Must BE Obeyed but I don't think it will be a problem.... other than I'll probably be farther into the wine as it is Friday night...  :D

Game for anything.  :bigthumb:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
I'm out all weekend.  Jake has an FFA banquet on Friday, no idea how long that will last, and Olivia has a doubleheader starting at 2 on Saturday.  It's away, so probably won't get home until after 9, by the time we grab dinner. 

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
And I'm out. Tonight has been declared Date Night.  8)

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners