Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Stellaris  (Read 102336 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #180 on: April 15, 2021, 10:26:05 PM

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #181 on: April 16, 2021, 08:16:34 AM
Biggest issue I'm seeing so far, is that the AI Sector management doesn't seem to want to build housing when a planet needs it.

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #182 on: April 17, 2021, 04:30:16 AM
Having spent several hours with 3.0 the past couple days, I'll admit I don't hate it, at least not yet.  I definitely need to spend more time with the game, though, before drawing any real conclusions. 

At this point, all I can really say is that colony management actually does feel like less of a chore, and I like how first-contact works now.  it feels a tad more involved and less abstract, which appeals to me. 

Biggest issue I'm seeing so far, is that the AI Sector management doesn't seem to want to build housing when a planet needs it.

I haven't gotten far enough into the game yet to see if I have that same issue, but I'll keep an eye out for it. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #183 on: April 17, 2021, 07:30:38 AM
I have never been able to use sector management. Every time i tried it was broken.

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #184 on: April 17, 2021, 07:33:58 AM
Having spent several hours with 3.0 the past couple days, I'll admit I don't hate it, at least not yet.  I definitely need to spend more time with the game, though, before drawing any real conclusions. 

At this point, all I can really say is that colony management actually does feel like less of a chore, and I like how first-contact works now.  it feels a tad more involved and less abstract, which appeals to me.
Sounds great. Will try 3.0 tonight

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #185 on: April 17, 2021, 09:46:08 AM
I'm watching a starting guide video on this before I jump back in (it's been a looong while). I can't help but notice how much the game now has a Victoria 2 vibe to it. I'm wondering if we will see Victoria 3 sooner rather than later.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #186 on: April 17, 2021, 11:29:57 AM
I'm watching a starting guide video on this before I jump back in (it's been a looong while). I can't help but notice how much the game now has a Victoria 2 vibe to it. I'm wondering if we will see Victoria 3 sooner rather than later.

Could you post the link as I was looking for a refresher before I jump back in.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #187 on: April 17, 2021, 02:09:13 PM
Sure, it was this one. Be warned, he can be a little Dastacticy with some of the explanations.  ;D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #188 on: April 17, 2021, 04:11:47 PM

With the release of 2.2-onwards, I got a pretty strong Victoria vibe as well, and I didn't care for it.  Spreadsheet simulator might work for the Vicky series, but I think making Stellaris more more like Victoria is a mistake.  The 3.0 update is a step in the right direction -- away from pointless complexity, and towards streamlining (without dumbing things down). 

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #189 on: April 17, 2021, 04:38:49 PM
Sure, it was this one. Be warned, he can be a little Dastacticy with some of the explanations.  ;D

I am impressed by so much geekness

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #190 on: April 17, 2021, 11:59:50 PM
Well I've remembered at least one thing about the current version of Stellaris that I definitely *don't* love:  being nickled-and-dimed for influence on.  Every.  Single.  Fucking.  Treaty.  One of the dumbest, and most frustrating/enraging, design decisions ever.  :kling: 

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #191 on: April 18, 2021, 12:25:15 AM

Thanks!

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #192 on: April 18, 2021, 08:50:42 AM
Well I've remembered at least one thing about the current version of Stellaris that I definitely *don't* love:  being nickled-and-dimed for influence on.  Every.  Single.  Fucking.  Treaty.  One of the dumbest, and most frustrating/enraging, design decisions ever.  :kling:

Does the AI actually honor the treaties? If they do I'll be willing to put up with that.  ;D

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #193 on: April 18, 2021, 04:31:04 PM
Yes, the AI honors its treaties.  There really isn't any surprise backstabbing in Stellaris, unless it's committed by the human player (and even then there are usually restrictions on your ability to do that).  The AI may later choose to break a treaty (if/when relations begin to sour), but it will be up-front about doing so, and you'll pretty much always see it coming. 

I wouldn't really have a problem if nonaggression pacts required influence upkeep; I can understand the rationale behind that.  But to also require influence upkeep for commercial, migration, and research treaties is a bit too much.  :doh: 

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #194 on: April 18, 2021, 05:59:23 PM
I wouldn't really have a problem if nonaggression pacts required influence upkeep; I can understand the rationale behind that.  But to also require influence upkeep for commercial, migration, and research treaties is a bit too much.  :doh:

Ah, now I understand what you were referring to.  I just don't get into agreements with my victims. 

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.