Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Dominions 6 cometh soon  (Read 4799 times)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
on: July 15, 2023, 07:21:37 PM
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/dominions-6-will-vie-for-4x-godhood-once-again-later-this-year

I really liked the time I had with 4 despite various fallings out at ye olde place over a certain multi player game

And been accused of cheating in another off site game

But the game itself was glorious if you’re into micro managing units, fiddly menus, sometimes crazy ai and so much fantasy gubbins you’d never need to play another game again

Missed out 5 and now 6 with qol promises galore

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2023, 02:05:34 PM
You were accused of cheating?

Always do what you feel is best.

W8taminute

• Jr Lancer
  • Put the glasses on
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2023, 02:13:16 PM
Love the Dominion series and most likely will pick this up once available.

Don't be afraid, don't be dismayed

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2023, 02:44:10 PM
You were accused of cheating?

Yeah there were 12 playing with a central GM and you sent your turns to him - there was a big battle coming up for me but like a dick I forgot to process any orders so my opponent used up a load of resources and spells in a battle I wasn’t there for and accused me of doing it on purpose

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2023, 03:52:20 PM
Like a mole/inside job/saboteur sorta thing?

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2023, 04:41:13 PM
All of those things

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2023, 05:58:45 PM

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #7 on: July 23, 2023, 02:41:02 AM
Steam page is up: 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2511500/Dominions_6__Rise_of_the_Pantokrator/

No official release date given.  However, under the "About this game" section, the devs state they're expecting to release it at the end of this year still. 

As for what's different/improved compared to the previous iterations: 

Dominions 6 is scaled up compared to Dominions 5 and armies are larger. We wanted to tweak the balance between conventional armies and magic. To accomplish this a couple of changes are introduced. Incomes and resources are increased, while mages are more expensive. Battlefield-wide spells are more difficult to cast and there are instead more mid-tier spells. There are some other changes with the same aim.

The second and probably most influential change is the addition of a new magic path. No longer are illusions the domain of Air magic. Instead illusions, phantasms, dreams and the stuff of forgotten legends are manipulated with the path of Glamour. This has resulted in many new spells, items and sites being added to the game.

A third massive change is the separation of mounts and riders. Riders and mounts now have separate stats and can be targeted individually. This change probably has less impact on gameplay than the previous one, but will still have an impact on cavalry and nations using mounted units.

Dominions 6 will feature a number of new nations as well, with late age getting more, at the time of writing. The addition of the Glamour path has also affected several of the old nations.

There are also a number of changes intended to ease gameplay.

More stuff will be added in the upcoming months.

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #8 on: July 23, 2023, 02:41:11 AM
I've long been interested in the Dominions series.  However, I've always been scared off by the horror stories about how difficult it is to get into; the games are rather notorious for having extremely steep learning curves, and a less-than-friendly UI. 

It would be great if the devs were able to make significant improvements in this respect, though I don't hold out much hope of that.  Every iteration of this series seems to feature granular improvements only, with any notable changes mostly taking place under the hood. 

Somewhat ironically, I just noticed/discovered that apparently I purchased Dom3 on GamersGate about a million years ago, so perhaps I should install it and try giving that a go.  :P 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #9 on: July 23, 2023, 03:29:04 AM
That may have been the dom3 rush we all got involved with over there - I think it was huw that mentioned it was 4.99 on gg and a load bought it for forum pbems

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #10 on: July 23, 2023, 11:13:35 AM
I have always been interested in this game series too but for the same reasons...held off. Never did buy any of them *checks libraries to be certain*

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #11 on: July 23, 2023, 11:31:43 AM
Sub forums are still there

Me, yskonyn, ubercat, huw, pratt, al infeirno then others joined

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #12 on: July 23, 2023, 12:03:23 PM

That was a huge draw back in the day. We had a lot of people playing in those PBEMs

Anyone wanted a PBEM area here can open up a thread here
https://www.armchairdragoons.com/forum/index.php?board=15.0

Or ping me if you think you need more than just one thread  :hug:

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

W8taminute

• Jr Lancer
  • Put the glasses on
Reply #13 on: July 27, 2023, 03:14:38 PM
I've long been interested in the Dominions series.  However, I've always been scared off by the horror stories about how difficult it is to get into; the games are rather notorious for having extremely steep learning curves, and a less-than-friendly UI. 

Martok, it's not too difficult to learn in order to beat the AI on normal.  Yes there is a learning curve but anyone of us here is smart enough and experienced enough to learn enough of Dominions to do well in single player.

Where the game has the steepest learning curve is when it comes to playing against human opponents.  There are so many clever humans, both here (liked (but is improving)) and at the other (beloved) place, that can whip out some obscure spell from their grimoire at precisely the right time and wipe out your grand army in two seconds flat that took you 10 turns to assemble. 

Don't be afraid, don't be dismayed

Yskonyn

• Jr Lancer
  • Running an online thing is like herding cats
Reply #14 on: January 06, 2024, 01:55:08 PM

That was a huge draw back in the day. We had a lot of people playing in those PBEMs

Anyone wanted a PBEM area here can open up a thread here
https://www.armchairdragoons.com/forum/index.php?board=15.0

Or ping me if you think you need more than just one thread  :hug:

Once Dom 6 hits, let's see what the interest in playing is. It was fun back then!