Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: The Emperor extends an invitation...  (Read 4274 times)

beetcafe

• Jr. Trooper
on: April 21, 2020, 10:16:17 PM
To anyone that would like to participate. I help organize a local convention here in Rockford, IL. A local game group approached me about running their Battle of Austerlitz this year at Rock-Con the weekend of October 23-25. They will be showcasing a set of rules they will be publishing in the near future. Check out my other thread "The Emperor stopped by for a game" for photos from last year's game.

Rules; Charge! Eagles Rising
Figures: 2680 15mm miniatures
12 to 16 players

Here is what I was sent about the setup and scenario:

"Instead of having the players forced to have the historical deployment and attacks, we would like them to play Napoleon, Tzar Alexander, Kutuzov, etc. The Russian command structure was fractured and even though Kutuzov was the overall commander on paper, the Tzar pressed to attack because of his entourage was over-confident and against Kutuzov’s advice to hold the high ground and counter punch.  Napoleon’s army was the finest assembled and he had complete authority. He laid a trap to weaken his right flank so that he could trap the Allies not on the Heights in the flank. Do they repeat history, or play it differently. This game would be using Charge! Eagles Rising rules (battalion level units, tactical/grand tactical game system) with over 2,680 15mm figures (mostly AB’s). On paper the armies are fairly even in strength (~80,000 each).

The key players (Napoleon, Murat, Soult, Tsar, Kutuzov, Bagration, Buxholden) would be needed for 2 hours or so on Friday night to 1) learn the basic mechanics of the rules Charge! Eagles Rising. 2) Determine their overall strategy, 3) Where their troops will be positioned as the morning breaks. 4) Initial set of orders written for the other commanders to follow. Since the morning is foggy and visibility is limited, the valley, only a few markers may represent the troops initially. As the sun burns off the fog, the upper elevations are in the clear to see each other, but not into the valley.

Saturday would have the game starting at 8 AM. We would have an introductory period to familiarize the players with each other and to explain the rules to those who were not present Friday night. We would launch the game in earnest by 9 AM. When we played this in October 2019, the game lasted until about 6 pm. The southern end of the battlefield was over hours before that. The Northern and Central portion were in a tussle with the French gaining the advantage over the Russian Guard and Advance Guard covering the retreat."

They are always looking for new players to try out the rules and offer any suggestions so I thought I would extend an invitation to anyone here that might be interesting in playing.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 06:23:00 AM
Looks fantastic!

........don't let Cyrano see that hat...........

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 08:35:11 AM
Great idea, hope this works out very well.
Have to admit, Austerlitz is one battle that would seem almost impossible to refight.
The allies were totally hornswoggled by Boney and committed to a terrible plan.  (There was a BBC production of War and Peace that really illustrated his playacting with Russian envoys that made them believe he was confused and lost.)

Please post further on this.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.