Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Ships!  (Read 416584 times)

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1005 on: January 01, 2020, 09:25:38 PM
HMS Liverpool after crossing the Atlantic, passing through the  Panama Canal and heading up to California with a temporary bow to reach  the Mare Island Naval Shipyard for repairs. Her bow was badly damaged  when an Italian SM.79 Sparviero torpedo bomber found its mark on 14  October 1940 as the ship made for Alexandria, Egypt - 30 killed, 35 more  wounded.
Taken under tow from the stern a fuel fire had further  compromised the structural integrity of the bow. The subsequent  combination of drag and turbulence removed it completely on the first  day of a two day reverse journey to Alexandria. Once there she was given  a temporary bow fix and sent on her way to California, where she was  photographed above and made anew. The ship survived another torpedo hit  from the same type of aircraft in June 1942.

Had not realised how many ships survived having their bows torpedoed.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #1006 on: January 02, 2020, 02:26:15 PM
Last of the SpruCans!

Self defense test ship E964 used by the US navy as a test bed for new technologies and experimental weapon systems, formerly USS Paul F. Foster a Spruance class destroyer and the sole surviving member of the class as the others were either sunk as targets or scrapped

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #1007 on: January 02, 2020, 07:38:04 PM
Pretty ship.  :applause:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1008 on: January 02, 2020, 09:39:03 PM
Nice view of naval armor.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1009 on: January 04, 2020, 04:00:12 PM
Nice, tight group.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #1010 on: January 04, 2020, 05:06:38 PM
That's from the Battle of Samar, isn't it?

NM, just saw pix caption.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #1011 on: January 05, 2020, 10:45:21 AM

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #1012 on: January 05, 2020, 11:43:06 AM
British light cruiser HMS Leander in the Panama Canal area.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #1013 on: January 05, 2020, 11:47:18 AM
^I built an Airfix model of the Leander when I was a kid. I bought it while visiting my grandparents back in the old country. I think might have picked that model because the Walrus looked so cool sitting there on the catapult.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1014 on: January 09, 2020, 08:29:06 AM
HMS Ark Royal (91) listing after she was torpedoed by the submarine U-81 on November 13, 1941. Despite attempts to save her, she capsized and sank the next day. Her skipper, Captain Loben Maund, was court-martialed in February 1942 after a Board of Inquiry found him guilty on two counts of negligence. “Meanwhile, the Bucknill Committee, which had been set up to investigate the loss of major warships, produced a report that identified the lack of backup power sources as a major design failure that contributed to her loss; Ark Royal depended on electricity for much of her operation, and once the boilers and steam-driven dynamos were knocked out, the loss of power made damage control difficult.” US Navy photo Lot-3478-19 from the Office of Emergency Management.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #1015 on: January 09, 2020, 11:24:21 AM
A Proud Ship indeed.  :'(

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #1016 on: January 09, 2020, 01:14:39 PM
Wreck of the USS Maine, raised in 1912.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
Reply #1017 on: January 09, 2020, 03:27:15 PM
Boy, that's gonna need some Duck Tape and a coat of paint.  :o

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #1018 on: January 10, 2020, 10:25:25 AM
US Navy ships at anchor in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, during winter exercises in 1927

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #1019 on: January 10, 2020, 11:11:37 AM