Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Age of Wonders 4  (Read 13893 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #15 on: March 27, 2023, 02:16:26 PM
I have to admit that between the extensive developer diaries, dev streams, and various previews I've seen so far, it's become very difficult to not be excited for this one.  It seems Triumph Studios took a hard look at everything AoW3 and Planetfall did both right and wrong, and have adjusted things accordingly for Age of Wonders 4.  Stuff like exploration, hero development, and empire management have been expanded and/or deepened, while diplomacy and the combat system have been refined and improved. 

Not that this will probably be a Day 1 purchase for me; I rarely do that anymore.  But unless the release is a complete dud, I have a feeling I'll be diving into it sometime this year. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #16 on: March 27, 2023, 02:32:59 PM
Agreed. it is indeed looking like a must buy.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #17 on: March 27, 2023, 08:37:40 PM
Agreed. I keep telling myself there is absolutely no need to pre-purchase it and so far, I'm hanging tough. But it's looking like a rare day one purchase for me as well.

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #18 on: March 28, 2023, 06:40:22 AM
I hope its better than MoM which I thought, given the hype and general levels of excited anticipation, was a bit of a disappointment in some respects.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #19 on: March 28, 2023, 09:40:58 AM
Yeah, I feel exactly the same way, Bawb. MoM was much anticipated and more than a bit of "meh" when received. And having AoW4 coming out makes MoM feel really second-tier IMHO. I mean, assuming it doesn't suck   :bigthumb:

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #20 on: March 28, 2023, 09:54:24 AM
Lots of prep previews re race building and customisation out there and I think a little bit of gameplay

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #21 on: April 27, 2023, 01:39:54 PM

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #22 on: April 27, 2023, 01:56:00 PM
Doesn't PC Gamer like everything?  :P

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #23 on: April 27, 2023, 02:21:44 PM
RPS were pretty meh but admitted the game is that big and they had to squeeze a lot of the game into a short time and missed a lot of the nuances and immersion

A long time since I had faith in a written review - I’ll watch some let’s plays from trusted sources

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #24 on: April 27, 2023, 04:00:15 PM
A long time since I had faith in a written review - I’ll watch some let’s plays from trusted sources

You don't want to write one for us?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #25 on: April 27, 2023, 04:37:33 PM
I’m aow4-less

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #26 on: May 02, 2023, 04:27:34 AM
Launch day! 

And now begins the battle of wills to hold off on buying it immediately... 

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #27 on: May 02, 2023, 04:57:14 AM
Intriguing but I can make it I think

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #28 on: May 04, 2023, 03:00:24 AM
^ Same, but I find acknowledging the struggle helps.  ;) 

Sounds like overall impressions thus far are very positive, amongst major streamers, professional reviewers, and regular users alike.  Apparently just about everything -- from game setup (including faction & realm creation), empire management, and (especially) combat -- are pretty much firing on all cylinders. 

I did read there were significant technical issues at launch for some folks, especially regarding multiplayer, but Triumph Studios has been quick to find and patch them.  The praise isn't universal, of course, but there seems to be a growing consensus that this might be not only the best fantasy 4x in years, but one of the best 4x games out there, period. 

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #29 on: May 04, 2023, 03:51:27 AM
Yeah - they’re not making it easy - I’ve seen nothing negative and only how wonderous and smooth it is

I’m always going to run into the brick wall of me, the giant and the fairy defending the realm against 6 rat men and 2 spiders - I want my fantasy to be epic and huge - yes yes Warhammer 3 - but I think I’m more of a fan of operational scale for this - hearts of iron 3 but elves and dwarves and goblins and dragons and now I’m all pointy so I’m off