Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Finally bought my first Wargame today.  (Read 29922 times)

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #105 on: September 16, 2019, 08:39:22 PM
I don't think CONSIM has changed their format since the days of the 1200-baud modem.  ;D

I actually have one of those for my C128. I wonder if I could surf CSW with it. Hmmm... anyone known a good dial-up ISP?

I think I have some AOL CDs around here somewhere.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

judgedredd

Reply #106 on: September 17, 2019, 03:52:36 AM
LOL - yeah, CSW can be a bit..................strange.

Actually,  I think you will find that there is no difference, and that its actually not a 3rd edition as such, just a 3rd printing, and it is the same as the '1st' edition'.
That is indeed worth knowing - thanks.

I was making assumptions on other games where later editions were better - mounted boards, clearer rule set, errata being in the manual as opposed to being additions.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #107 on: September 17, 2019, 06:04:27 AM
In this case, its a 3rd printing, and not a 3rd edition. You can also get a mounted map for it - cost extra, of course  ;)

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #108 on: September 17, 2019, 08:17:16 AM
I don't think CONSIM has changed their format since the days of the 1200-baud modem.  ;D

I actually have one of those for my C128. I wonder if I could surf CSW with it. Hmmm... anyone known a good dial-up ISP?

I think I have some AOL CDs around here somewhere.

If you can't find them there's billions in the landfills around the nation.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #109 on: September 17, 2019, 10:24:29 PM
their shiny sides are also good for scaring away woodpeckers from your house if you string them up in a mobile.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #110 on: September 18, 2019, 05:30:24 AM
..European or African woodpeckers?

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #111 on: September 18, 2019, 09:45:18 AM
Are you suggesting AOL CDs migrate?

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #112 on: September 18, 2019, 06:51:13 PM
Only if unladen

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

judgedredd

Reply #113 on: September 23, 2019, 01:57:33 AM
I am so very confused with the rules in this game. I'm only at page 9 - Combat Modifiers.

The first section of those rules are about halving attack values and doubling defense values and rounding up. First off, the only part up to this point in the rules at the moment about halving attack values and doubling defence values are that are when attacking across an intact bridge. It seems performing a river crossing/assault does not encompass this halving and doubling rule - is that correct?

Second, after the First section on Combat Modifiers, the section talks about only the first unit (Lead Formation) being able to attack at full value and the rest fighting at half their printed value. So are they halved again?

Honestly, reading these rules is going to make going back to LnL a doddle.  :D

I really, really, really want to like this game and get it on the board...I'm currently reading a book on Op Market Garden...but the rules!! I haven't even gotten to the armour shift part yet.

Bob - you've played this game. If you have any ideas on how to read the rules and get them to stay in my head and make sense, I'm all ears.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #114 on: September 23, 2019, 05:22:34 AM
Its not the easiest system to master, but what I found was that there are examples of play in the rule book which are a big help - just go through then carefully, it all does make sense. Also worth looking at the BGG forum, as that can help to answer some questions.

I'm deep into the Horse & Musket games at the moment, but I will dig out the rules and go through them again as it been a while since I played. I will try and assist you if I can.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 06:07:36 AM by bob48 »

judgedredd

Reply #115 on: September 23, 2019, 05:40:25 AM
Don't go mixing up rulesets...it could be awful messy when you get to a game of Horse and Musket.

Going to the example is exactly what I was looking for. I'll go through the example then the rules - perhaps seeing them in action and then seeing the rule could help.

Thank you

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #116 on: September 23, 2019, 05:58:05 AM
Play along with the play though that starts on page 26. I mean actual setup the game and move the pieces and follow the combats exactly as in the play through for the first couple of turns.
Doing this and reading the rules helped me.
Also the summary of rules on page 35-36 and the sequence of play on the back cover of the rule book help when you need to look stuff up.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #117 on: September 23, 2019, 06:08:43 AM
Yep, that is good advice. There are also some youtube vids which you may find helpful.

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #118 on: September 23, 2019, 06:53:06 AM
lol. I still haven't opened it yet, this was a very busy weekend. I did download some program some guy wrote last week, that shows how the battle should resolve? I think that might help demonstrate what is going on too.. Thanks for all the suggestions.

judgedredd

Reply #119 on: September 23, 2019, 09:47:51 AM
Play along with the play though that starts on page 26. I mean actual setup the game and move the pieces and follow the combats exactly as in the play through for the first couple of turns.
Doing this and reading the rules helped me.
Also the summary of rules on page 35-36 and the sequence of play on the back cover of the rule book help when you need to look stuff up.
I will do exactly this. Thanks