Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: What's your fav LnL Tactical  (Read 2515 times)

judgedredd

on: July 31, 2022, 12:42:28 PM
As the subject...which is your favourite LnL Tactical game.

I have Day of Heroes (not sure if that's in the Tactical system), Heroes of the Nam and Heroes of the Falklands. I haven't played the Nam one but the Falklands one is excellent

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 12:51:38 PM
I have Day of Heroes (not sure if that's in the Tactical system)

it is; it's just got the one funky diagonal-move rule, but otherwise all the same rules

I like Day of Heroes a lot, and Band of Heroes quite a bit.

Haven't played the 'Nam games and I go out of my way to avoid East Front ones.

I definitely like the newer rulebooks much more than the older LNLP / Matrix-era rulebooks

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 01:27:41 PM
I think it comes down to what theatre/era interests you the most.

I also like the Falklands one quite a bit.  The Argie early morning heli/airborne assault scenario is just such fun chaos. 

I own Falklands (+ Feat of Arms), Nam, Red Star (+Days of Villainy and Bear and Jackal), Normandy (+Bastogne), and Pacific (+Hell Frozen Over).

I enjoy the Pacific setting but I'm not too keen on some of the special rules.  The ninja stuff for the Japanese seems a bit overboard to me but I think that'd just because they threw in the ninja term.  I suspect if they'd just called it "ambush", I would be less put off by it.

Red Star can be fun but given the lethality and range of modern armor, the maps can feel a bit too small and constrained in some of the scenarios. 

Nam is good and there are tonnes of scenarios but the setting just isn't one that interests me as much as others.

Normandy is great.   Wish they'd expand it a bit and add more Commonwealth stuff though.

I haven't played Bear and Jackal yet.  We did try a few of the Days of Villainy scenarios out.  Some interesting tactical choices given the crap nature of all the units but neither me nor my opponent could get that invested given that neither of us knew much about the Libyan civil war (and cared even less).

I did own North Africa but ended up selling that one.  Terrain was too monotonous and the focus on the Italians rather than the DAK made it feel a but underwhelming.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 03:33:51 PM by Silent Disapproval Robot »

judgedredd

Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 02:29:17 PM
Actually I haven't played the Day off Heroes one either.

I do like Heroes of the Falklands alot though.

I don't know that I would like some of those others you mentioned SDR...like you say, some of it comes down to theater and era

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2022, 08:58:24 PM
Have 'em all, enjoy 'em all.  :rockon:

But if I really had to pick one it's Heroes of Normandy + all the expansions for it. Just so much gaming.
And I agree with SDR that there needs to be more Commonwealth stuff added.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 08:39:31 AM
Not my favourite tac system.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 09:01:12 AM
  :blahblah:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

judgedredd

Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 09:22:10 AM
It does have a couple of short falls (imo)

Off the top of my head, no recovery unless a leader is IN THE HEX. That kind of burns turns as you try to get a leader to a hex to help rally. I know there are self rally units and I know not all units would rally without a lesser, but maybe they could've made +2 drm so there's a chance. I always found this to be a problem. Maybe it's how I play that's the problem

The other one is melee. Score a hit and they're all dead.

However going through the manual I see lots of good things. Ambush gets triple FP on the first melee turn.  Charges get double FP on their first melee turn.
 Mounted units with hit and run ability.

Also the turn system. My head has been turned by things like the activation in WaW and the random minutes in The Last Hundred Yards
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 04:07:47 PM by judgedredd »

Snaekolf

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 01:44:01 PM
I have the whole system.  My favorites were actually surprising to me once I realized it.

Modern: Heroes of the Falklands - I only bought it to complete my collection.  I fell in love with the cool scenarios and good mix of units.  A small number of powerful units sprinkled in to make it fun really helps with the massive firepower problems of the other modern games. 

WW2: Heroes of Defiance - I love early war armor.  This game has them in spades and the scenarios are really fun.

Of the others, I enjoy Heroes of the Nam and found Days of Villainy fun too.