Author Topic: Field of Glory Empires  (Read 817 times)

Barthheart

• Jr Lancer
  • Liquid noble gas dispenser
Reply #30 on: July 14, 2019, 03:00:08 PM
Yeah it’s grabbing me as well... one more turned myself to 1:30 am!

Playing as Rome in the campaign and although there’s a lot going on it’s manageable. Rome is now a young glorious empire, we’re #2,, thanks to lots of culture. Presently in a war for the heel and toe of Italy’s boot, then we’ll move north to the Alps.

I’m finding it very much a war game focus, with the requirement to also take care of your culture and not just conquer everything at once. I had to make peace with a couple of my neighbours until I could get my economy stable.

The short run through in the manual at the end of section 17 really did help.

Fun to watch the rest of the map evolve around me too.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

airboy

• Jr Lancer
    • Avery's Game Blog
Reply #31 on: July 22, 2019, 10:26:00 AM
How does this compare to other 4x games?  Have you played Aggressors and how does it compare to it?

I'm probably going to take a crack at Deity Empires as my next 4x foray - but if Field of Glory Empires is good I could pick it up on the next sale. 

Barthheart

• Jr Lancer
  • Liquid noble gas dispenser
Reply #32 on: July 22, 2019, 12:11:03 PM
This really isn't a 4X game. 3 x's only, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate.
It's more of a historical sandbox game. Think of it more like Hearts of Iron but in 310 BCE. You play existing empires of the time and get to re-create or change their historical rise to power... or not.
It's a wargame for sure.

I've not played Aggressors.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

JasonPratt

• Jr. Trooper
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
Reply #33 on: July 24, 2019, 08:43:58 AM
One big difference is that Aggressors is hex-based and FogEmp is territory based. (That may not sound like a big difference, but it is. For example, you can affect the map a lot more directly in Aggro. You can research road upgrades in FoGEmp; you can send out crews to go build roads in Aggro.) The FoGEmp map is probably larger, too. But Aggro can generate a random map.

Another big difference is that FogEmp has the option of exporting battles to turn-based FoG2 play (even though different studios worked on the games). So if you liked FoG and its related games, this gives your minature-battles A LOT of strategic context.

Aggro is much more of a Civ-ish game than FoGEmp, with all that implies. (At least your units can stack in FoGEmp! -- not always true in Civ-ish games.)

FoGEmp is more like a purely turn-based Imperator: Rome, but it doesn't look as good, but it can have tactical battles via FoG2. I somewhat expect Imperator to out-game FoGEmp over time, though right now they're roughly equivalent at the strategic level, maybe with an advantage to Imperator in most gameplay details.

airboy

• Jr Lancer
    • Avery's Game Blog
Reply #34 on: July 24, 2019, 08:18:29 PM
One big difference is that Aggressors is hex-based and FogEmp is territory based. (That may not sound like a big difference, but it is. For example, you can affect the map a lot more directly in Aggro. You can research road upgrades in FoGEmp; you can send out crews to go build roads in Aggro.) The FoGEmp map is probably larger, too. But Aggro can generate a random map.

Another big difference is that FogEmp has the option of exporting battles to turn-based FoG2 play (even though different studios worked on the games). So if you liked FoG and its related games, this gives your minature-battles A LOT of strategic context.

Aggro is much more of a Civ-ish game than FoGEmp, with all that implies. (At least your units can stack in FoGEmp! -- not always true in Civ-ish games.)

FoGEmp is more like a purely turn-based Imperator: Rome, but it doesn't look as good, but it can have tactical battles via FoG2. I somewhat expect Imperator to out-game FoGEmp over time, though right now they're roughly equivalent at the strategic level, maybe with an advantage to Imperator in most gameplay details.

Thanks that is a clear comparison.

I'm finishing my prep reading to start Deity Empires.

bbmike

• Lancer
Reply #35 on: July 28, 2019, 09:07:03 AM
I'm reading that turn times can take a full minute or more after 200+ turns. Anyone experiencing that?

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

tuna

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #36 on: July 28, 2019, 03:05:37 PM
Turn times have been excellent for me.. my laptop is a lil slower than desktop, but way better than the older AGEOD system.. it flies on my desktop. I my first game ended due to Macedonia getting Legacy win around turn 116 or something.. second game,  I'm up to I think 170 something, haven't noticed a change in time during the course of the game.

JasonPratt

• Jr. Trooper
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
Reply #37 on: August 02, 2019, 09:32:51 AM
I'm reading that turn times can take a full minute or more after 200+ turns. Anyone experiencing that?

Lol'd hard! -- I saw what you did there!

bbmike

• Lancer
Reply #38 on: August 02, 2019, 09:44:30 AM
Ah, another fan of Pride of Nations?  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes