Author Topic: Order of Battle: Red Star  (Read 133 times)

airboy

• Jr Lancer
    • Avery's Game Blog
on: August 09, 2019, 12:08:08 PM
Came out yesterday.  If I was patient - I probably could have gotten a free copy.

My impatience, the $14.99 price point, and the fact that every update worked on the day of release got me to buy it.

So far it has been fun.  The first 2 scenarios are against the Japanese.  The first Finnish scenario was well designed.

Sir Slash

• Jr Lancer
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 03:58:46 PM
I smell a new AAR.  :applause:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

airboy

• Jr Lancer
    • Avery's Game Blog
Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 09:35:07 PM
I've completed 9 of the 13 scenarios.  Everything has worked smoothly.

The game was released on Slitherine/Matrix; Steam; and GoG.

In the two early battles against the Japanese it is a hard slog.  Jap Infantry is superior and the Commies lack much in the way of offensive firepower.

The single Poland scenario is a pushover.

Then you get several battles in Finland which require a lot of attention to your flanks.  The Finn ski troops are faster than anything else on the board and they come at your flanks regularly.

Then you get the Germans.  I've played the first battle and the AI on Offense is the best I've seen in the series.  This was not easy at all.  The Germans launched coordinated attacks, withdrew damaged units (including aircraft) and were ruthless in nailing fleeing fighters.  They tracked down wounded units and torched them.  Very impressive scenario.

BanzaiCat

• Lancer
  • Faith an' Boardgameah
Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 11:12:06 PM
I have OOB. Right now I'm severely tempted by both the Kriegsmarine and Sandstorm expansions.

airboy

• Jr Lancer
    • Avery's Game Blog
Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 10:03:01 AM
Kriegsmarine is the worst of the expansions.  I advise strongly to avoid that one.  All of the Pacific/Asia are good.  Winter War is interesting from the Finn perspective.

I did a lengthy review of Sandstorm here.  It is quite good.

BanzaiCat

• Lancer
  • Faith an' Boardgameah
Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 11:40:35 AM
Kriegsmarine is the worst of the expansions.  I advise strongly to avoid that one.  All of the Pacific/Asia are good.  Winter War is interesting from the Finn perspective.

I did a lengthy review of Sandstorm here.  It is quite good.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I'll avoid Kriegsmarine.

airboy

• Jr Lancer
    • Avery's Game Blog
Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 03:03:20 PM
I've finished everything but the last scenario - defense of Moscow.  This has been one of the better if not the best release so far.  The game has worked smoothly.  The AI is much better on attack.  There was one weird visual glitch that happened twice that I'll save for a review.  But the glitch was funny, rare, and did not influence game play.

airboy

• Jr Lancer
    • Avery's Game Blog
Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 11:09:04 AM
Finished it yesterday.  Among the top releases in the series.